Gibson Brands Forums

Talk about fugly pickguards

gearbasher

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Then the Thread should have been "George Jones and his collection of Fugly p/g's", but its titled:

Talk about fugly pickguards

My wife told me other day she doesn't like G J's voice. I just said are you serious?

He has a very 'southern' voice....but it's his phrasing that gets me.... I feel he's a great talent.... I never got to hear Webb in person......I would have liked to.

45 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

He has a very 'southern' voice....but it's his phrasing that gets me.... I feel he's a great talent.... I never got to hear Webb in person......I would have liked to.

I dont think to many people liked Webb Pierce. 

I dont even think he was accepted into the hall of fame till much later or even after he was gone. 

9 minutes ago, slimt said:

I dont think to many people liked Webb Pierce. 

I dont even think he was accepted into the hall of fame till much later or even after he was gone. 

I watch "The Stars Of The Grand Ol' Opery" every week....he's a regular on it.....I like his voice and delivery.

8 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I watch "The Stars Of The Grand Ol' Opery" every week.

I do too, that’s mainly what prompted my homemade guard comment. Some were horrible. Tons of D-28s on that show, with several non cutaway L-5s off to the side. Lonzo (Lonzo and Oscar) had a D-18 and George Morgan had a J-50. Little Jimmie Dickens had a J-100. Chet shows up once in a while with either a stock 6120, a solid body cowboy Gretsch (6121?) or the black prototype. Lots of old Fender steels too. Paul Yandell used a 6120 backing up the Louvin Brothers. They were supposed to record something like 50 songs for the show but Ira got into a fight or ran his mouth and queered the deal. 

hijack, sorry….

13 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

I do too, that’s mainly what prompted my homemade guard comment. Some were horrible. Tons of D-28s on that show, with several non cutaway L-5s off to the side. Lonzo (Lonzo and Oscar) had a D-18 and George Morgan had a J-50. Little Jimmie Dickens had a J-100. Chet shows up once in a while with either a stock 6120, a solid body cowboy Gretsch (6121?) or the black prototype. Lots of old Fender steels too. Paul Yandell used a 6120 backing up the Louvin Brothers. They were supposed to record something like 50 songs for the show but Ira got into a fight or ran his mouth and queered the deal. 

hijack, sorry….

The show is simply a wealth of information on the "classic" C&W scene!

I also used to watch the old Hee Haw show..... and for the same reason!

2 hours ago, gearbasher said:

This is a sin.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTK5r4l5g9DTSYAZaVe8MP

And so is this one.

GF3942-2_grande.jpg?v=1583277560

Not is you’s is one them thar country musishnins. It’s your sign you made it and can spend $ on useless stuff to uglify your guitar. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

what about that leather cover Elvis put over his D-28.

George Jones and Elvis didn't care about their acoustic tone.

They were selling a product.

The product was themselves.

I have argued MANY TIMES that there would have been no Elvis without Scotty Moore. His instincts and tone on those early recordings were VITAL to inventing the "package".

Yet, after the "comeback" special, Elvis never spoke to him again according to legend.

Paid him peanuts.

Weird.

2 hours ago, Murph said:

I have argued MANY TIMES that there would have been no Elvis without Scotty Moore. His instincts and tone on those early recordings were VITAL to inventing the "package".

Yet, after the "comeback" special, Elvis never spoke to him again according to legend.

Paid him peanuts.

Weird.

"Sidemen" are SO IMPORTANT!

I'm a Croce fan.....but when I hear his songs, I focus on Maury....the guy was PURE GENIUS!

The same can be said about Buck Owens.....Don Rich was such a HUGE part of his 'sound'.

3 hours ago, Murph said:

Paid him peanuts.

Weird.

You think the Colonel had anything to do with that? Or you think it was all Elvis's doing . I bet Mr. Parker was the main reason, cant be sure but . . .

Hell, he never let Elvis tour out of the US except Hawaii, which is the US. Never Europe or Asia. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I've read it was Col. Parker.   He tried to make the lives difficult of the band -  at times, even after Elvis took off and was making millions, they were getting paying $100-200 a week (around $1200 today)  and their families were living with relatives.  I'm assuming Col. Parker did not want ANYONE getting any credit EXCEPT Elvis.   Wonder how Tom Hanks handled that grainy detail in the movie?     And, speaking of guitar sidemen - Cash's  Luther Perkins was another legend back in that era. 

On 7/27/2022 at 3:59 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

You think the Colonel had anything to do with that? Or you think it was all Elvis's doing . I bet Mr. Parker was the main reason, cant be sure but . . .

Hell, he never let Elvis tour out of the US except Hawaii, which is the US. Never Europe or Asia. 

Parker never let Elvis tour outside the US because he (Parker) was an illegal immigrant, having come into the country with a travelling show from the Netherlands in the late 1920s, changed his name from Andreas van Kuijk to the most American sounding name he could muster, and flown under the radar for several decades. He always travelled with Elvis and didn’t have the requisite paperwork to travel outside the US as he never had the requisite paperwork to travel TO the US in the first place. To put it quite simply, if he had left he wouldn’t have been able to get back in! 

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2022 at 7:16 PM, Jinder said:

Parker never let Elvis tour outside the US because he (Parker) was an illegal immigrant, having come into the country with a travelling show from the Netherlands in the late 1920s, changed his name from Andreas van Kuijk to the most American sounding name he could muster, and flown under the radar for several decades. He always travelled with Elvis and didn’t have the requisite paperwork to travel outside the US as he never had the requisite paperwork to travel TO the US in the first place. To put it quite simply, if he had left he wouldn’t have been able to get back in! 

Crazy story. I don't think you could get away with that nowadays.

While that barley & hops p/g  is unique, and being wood pieces inlaid into the top makes it technically difficult to create - I still think it's unattractive.  And the two bees on the bridge push it past that.   I've seen pictures of Picasso's that I wouldn't hang in my house,  so I guess  my taste is all in my mouth.    I sort of think a pick guard should be something that can guard the guitar proper from pick scratches, and not be something you are even more concerned might be damaged than the guitar face.   

55 minutes ago, Tim Tim said:

That martin barley and hops guard is a real work of craftsmanship.  Could be you don’t prefer it, but look closely.  The wooden pickguard is inlayed into the top to make that happen…

image.thumb.jpeg.203718490c0348d1d8236fcebe212131.jpeg

We’ll, I like it….but then I lean towards “ Bling”!

3 hours ago, Tim Tim said:

That martin barley and hops guard is a real work of craftsmanship.  Could be you don’t prefer it, but look closely.  The wooden pickguard is inlayed into the top to make that happen…

Chris Martin IV should be force fed his testicles for allowing that out of Nazareth.

On 8/6/2022 at 11:32 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Chris Martin IV should be force fed his testicles for allowing that out of Nazareth.

Hyperbole much?

I don’t like the guitar, but if you can’t see the craftsmanship in that, your eyes are bad.

Also, CEOs don’t get canned because their tastes differ from yours.   Bottom line, like it or hate it, it’s a work of art and an interesting guitar. 

11 hours ago, Tim Tim said:

Hyperbole much?

I don’t like the guitar, but if you can’t see the craftsmanship in that, your eyes are bad.

Also, CEOs don’t get canned because their tastes differ from yours.   Bottom line, like it or hate it, it’s a work of art and an interesting guitar. 

I'm not an English major for I will have to look up the word - hyperbole.

I am sure Gibson, Martin, Taylor and any big guitar maker all employ craftsman that can make and ugly pickguard. If you have been around here for any amount of time and have read my posts, then you know my love Martin guitars. I love a natural top guitar, with a plain black pickguard and dot inlays with a gloss finish. There are not birds or wheat fields on it, but it makes a nice sound when strummed. Like this one:

4k0Z5rL.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 9:04 AM, fortyearspickn said:

While that barley & hops p/g  is unique, and being wood pieces inlaid into the top makes it technically difficult to create - I still think it's unattractive.  And the two bees on the bridge push it past that.   I've seen pictures of Picasso's that I wouldn't hang in my house,  so I guess  my taste is all in my mouth.    I sort of think a pick guard should be something that can guard the guitar proper from pick scratches, and not be something you are even more concerned might be damaged than the guitar face.   

I agree with you in the sense that I would never buy that guitar (astronomical price aside) because it’s far too gaudy for my personal taste, and I play the snot out of my guitars and just want something functional.  But I also acknowledge that the world would be a rotten place if we all had the same preferences and that a guitar like this is not created to be a recording work horse—it’s a limited edition art work designed to show some skill or new innovation.  Someone clearly had fun making it, and I can see why certain people would be drawn to it.  It’s a cool guitar in that sense.  I do wonder what it sounds like.  Not sure martins ever built with redwood before…

On 8/6/2022 at 8:15 AM, Tim Tim said:

I'm a fan of plain guitars, which is why I like D-18's, D-28's, j-45's and j-50's. And now that we live in an era of CAD-CAM machines, and computer-driven graphics, the magic and appreciation of hand-made workmanship that I could at least acknowledge even if I disliked the end result such as on this Martin is also gone.

RBSinTo

My wife has a CriCut machine. You can buy templates on line to load into it  on just about anything.  Cuts out letters or any kind of drawing, decoration on adhesive vinyl. Now they even have blades that can cut through thin metal.  Sort of takes the mystery and romance out of those $5 dollar tee shirts.