Gibson Brands Forums

N(O)GD Gibson

This is about as impulse-buy as I get. I've been fascinated with these for many years. Never played one though. When this came up I was unable to resist & so took a chance. 

LP DC Standard. It's (apparently) a 1998 model.

No OHSC. but supplied in a Hiscox case. The case is of course excellent but it doesn't fit. Fortunately no shipping damage.

24 frets which I like. However, reaching those upper frets is more awkward that it looks. 

I don't usually strip a guitar down like this but I needed to be sure it had correct PUs etc. I think they may be 490 / 498 - not sure though.

The pencil mark in neck PU cavity says LP 52. In the neck cavity its TR (1). 

Original frets. They have been levelled but not all are fully crowned. 

Don't know if its an original TRC. The bottom part is broke at the hole.

Its light and very comfy. Just 7 lbs. Neck feels good. There is a belly cut too.

There is a niggly problem though. I need to get a replacement bridge saddle for the G string. This string sits visibly lower than the others so the action has to be set to suit this one string. I haven't got a spare, so will probably  buy a set from Stewmac (cant find anyone in uk that supplies these uncut). I thought about buying a Wilkinson bridge and taking a saddle from there but dont know if they will fit ABR 1 (well I think its a ABR-1 anyway). This saddle is also notched in the wrong place so it may have been reversed at some point. 

It came with old 9-42 strings which felt very slinky. The action was too low and had too much forward bow. I replaced them with 10-46 Paradigms. I cleaned the fingerboard & body. I tightened the truss rod & raised the action & got it the way I like it. 

Sounds good. I'm not positive if its a keeper yet. It will take a few days - and that replacement saddle of course.

Need new strap pins too. I cant get any of my straps on this.

fvHcE73.jpg

WpiBCAH.jpg

7oCzNyr.jpg

sziHrB6.jpg

jeHhksu.jpg

faUVQeQ.jpg

sLmblBR.jpg

gG3gmjA.jpg

Xjd3tMs.jpg

WRerjZW.jpg

OKQ8gOi.jpg

bfauHFa.jpg

Jq6Ttn8.jpg

eFg5UIq.jpg

Oh yes, had too widen E A D nut slots. The strings were not seating in there properly. Looks like it had been cut accurately for 9s.

Edited by merciful-evans
oversight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dig it.

When I was gigging electric I always wanted a DC Les Paul. My first Gibson was a DC Melody Maker and I gigged it many years as a young man. Then a 72 Les Paul Recording for a long time.

I ended up getting an ES-339 before eventually going acoustic.

Mopar to ya!

Edited by Murph
  • Thanks 1

Ha nice..  I (as most people know) also love my DCs and always thought about getting one of these.. In fact I think I have seen that one on Reverb and was pretty tempted... But cant in any way justify any more guitars after my two 336's   🙂  If the had the usual control setup I would probably be that much more interested.

4 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Ha nice..  I (as most people know) also love my DCs and always thought about getting one of these.. In fact I think I have seen that one on Reverb and was pretty tempted... But cant in any way justify any more guitars after my two 336's   🙂  If the had the usual control setup I would probably be that much more interested.

There's more people feel that way than don't I reckon. I'm surprised they didn't do it for the Standard TBH.

To me though the simplified control is always a plus. The 2015 ES-339 Studio is the same.

16 hours ago, Rabs said:

Also looking at that control and pickup cavity it looks like the body is chambered with a centre block. Probably why its so light.

Why didn't I notice that 🙈

That goldtop is nice. I had the chance of getting a P90 version of that in 2015. Would gold hardware be OTT for that?

Edited by merciful-evans

14 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

The fretboard is incredibly red. Indian Rosewood?

Do you know what pickups are those? Guitar looks great! 👍

They are Gibson branded certainly (as are the pots). Not sure, but other 98 models are 490 / 498 so probably that. The bridge PU is certainly hotter. I prefer neck PUs on most guitars. 

3 hours ago, Murph said:

Yep, it's a Nashville Tune-o-matic

Gibson Accessories Nashville Tune-o-matic Bridge - StewMac

Thank you Murph. I've just removed bridge to measure the saddles. StewMac are selling saddle sets as well. So I'll likely get those. 

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/all-hardware-and-parts-by-instrument/electric-guitar-parts/electric-guitar-saddles/nashville-tune-o-matic-saddles/

I'm tempted to try the Graph Tech replacements but they are more expensive.

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/parts-c4/bridge-parts-c685/saddles-c686/graph-tech-string-saver-saddles-tune-o-matic-post-2000-gibson-guitars-ps-8501-00-p5492

8 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Why didn't I notice that 🙈

That goldtop is nice. I had the chance of getting a P90 version of that in 2015. Would gold hardware be OTT for that?

Yeah.. Probably too much gold, and obviously not the same gold as the goldtop so it would probably clash somewhat.

8 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Thanks Rabs. Another option

You wouldn't credit it, but I just completed an order from String Direct a couple of minutes ago...