Gibson Brands Forums

REAL OR fake ?

tom brown

It may be a real LP studio of some sort but not worth anything like that.  See the pic of the back - there is cracking of some sort at the heel and it looks like there is glue residue there which could mean the neck may already have been off and reset. 

Looks like a Les Paul Special which the seller commented that it originally had P90's. So with that in mind routing the neck pickup hole for a humbucker could have easily damaged the neck trunnion by going too deep, weakening the joint and resulting in an undesirable neck angle that can't be fixed making the action too high.

I had bought a basket case single pickup 58 Epiphone Coronet that had been routed for 2 humbuckers and the neck rout severely weakened the joint. I was able to install 2 small expansion bolts under the neck pickup to stiffen the neck, but they needed to be adjusted occasionally which was a lot of work.

I would call this type of damage severe and Big Bills tops estimate would be appropriate.

Edited by mihcmac