Gibson Brands Forums

F This Dude

Sgt. Pepper

It's a double-edged sword, isn't it?

On one hand, we want our musical artists and movie actors to be pure and pristine in their art and craft, and to bring none of their own personal political opinions to the live shows (and movies I guess), 
but,
we also respect the rights of every one of us to be able to express their opinions openly and without fear of retribution. 

Further, (and does this make it a triple-edged sword?) we all enjoy the freedom to express our strong political opinions, but most of us resent that 'star' musicians and actors seem to make it their mission to use their celebrity as a platform to push their personal political agendas. As though their opinions carry more weight than ours. 

How many times have we heard, "For God's sake Bruce Springsteen, just play the guitar and sing,"  or, "Come on, Jon Voight, just act in the movie, and then shut up".

Or even, "Holy moly, Michael Moore, order a salad for once, alright?  You have more chins than the Hong Kong phone book!!"

I'm gonna shut up now. 

😔

23 minutes ago, jvi said:

thats a lot of  assumed " we" ,    fwiw  , "We"  dont  want Artists  to shut up,  even  at concerts, or actors , even if disagreeable ,   also,  MM never shut up PLEASE.

We, meaning me want them do their job, and get what We, meaning me again paid for, which is playing music. If I want politics I can turn on CNN or Fox, which is really just BS anyway, or go to a political rally. You just bow down and accept every damn thing thrown at you. 
When you go out to eat do you want the wait staff to give you their political views every time they come to your table, or do you want them to do their job, which is serving food and drinks.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

We, meaning me want them do their job, and get what We, meaning me again paid for, which is playing music. If I want politics I can turn on CNN or Fox, which is really just BS anyway, or go to a political rally. You just bow down and accept every damn thing thrown at you. 
When you go out to eat do you want the wait staff to give you their political views every time they come to your table, or do you want them to do their job, which is serving food and drinks.

so folk music was bad and they should have shut up ?  gezzus ,  you sound just like you know who-ski

14 minutes ago, jvi said:

so folk music was bad and they should have shut up ?  gezzus ,  you sound just like you know who-ski

Never said folk music was bad. Waters, Trump, Biden, Springsteen what f tard are you referring too, cause all 4 of them are, f tards.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, jvi said:

huh ?  

You think every folk singer just sang songs about their opinions, on every song? That is a pretty sweeping generalization. Richard and Linda Thompson were English folkies, and Fairport Convention too. No political BS in their songs that I remember. Not every Dylan song was either.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jvi said:

there was mucho political content in folk music, if you didnt hear any  thats odd and sad.

Sarge never claimed to have never heard any political content in folk music.  Just that grinding political axes wasn't the mainstay of folk music.  And that's true.  As an old folkie I can attest that one of the earliest folk songs I learned was one that years later was more fun to play on a 12-string.  [wink]

Whitefang

One thing I will say in Roger Water's defense is at least he put it out there up front. So that anyone with a problem listening to his politics can save their money and not buy ticket. The ones who buy their ticket have nothing to complain about as far as his rants go. 

1 hour ago, saturn said:

I know Zappa had no problems expressing some of his views off-stage. Did he leave such stuff out of his shows? 

Saw him 3 times, no political stuff was said at the shows I went to. Steve Ford saw him many times. Steve let us know.

Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I recall Frank doing a bit about Reagan's Star Wars (Star Wars won't work, it's a piece of sh*t), a bit about when Reagan mined the harbor in Nicaragua, he changed the lyrics to "he called her a ****, a pig and a Republican" in Dontcha Want A Guy Like Me", there were voter registration tables set up at his later concerts, Pat Robertson, Oliver North and Richard Nixon were featured in his songs so yes, he was political on stage.

Before my time he'd have audience participation and he got some Green Berets to come onstage and show everyone what they learned so they bayoneted baby dolls and rip them apart, stuff like that.

I was hoping his son would carry on the tradition but it's just note by note, a little improvisation.

The only act I've seen recently that expressed political views on stage is Patti Smith and that is because she heard someone in the audience asking her to (no weapons of mass destruction found in Iraq).

I wasn't offended by Frank or Patti's statements as I agree with them but it didn't make the shows better or worse for me.  It's kind of like when Janet Jackson's top was ripped open at the Super Bowl - how do you like that? and then back to the game.

I STRONGLY disagree with Roger Water's statements, that would keep me from going to any of his concerts or purchasing any of his music in the future.

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Sarge never claimed to have never heard any political content in folk music.  Just that grinding political axes wasn't the mainstay of folk music.  And that's true.  As an old folkie I can attest that one of the earliest folk songs I learned was one that years later was more fun to play on a 12-string.  [wink]

Whitefang

seems to me a LOT of " folk " music merged with " protest " music in the 60s, I bought a lot of it , rock too.