Gibson Brands Forums

F This Dude

Sgt. Pepper

11 minutes ago, jvi said:

if you go to see a person or band that is opinionated AND you know the opinion and you dont like it  DONT BUY A TICKET !  - are you saying  you would stop people from saying and playing what they want ? 

No they can, but just like you said - DONT BUY A TICKET ! I didn't. I saw him twice live and those two times not one political word came out of this mouth that I can recall. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ksdaddy said:

I prefer Roger Miller's version of 'Me and Bobby McGee' to any other version.

There, I've said it.

Kris is a great songwritter, but an awful singer. If my mother in law ever heard me say that she would kill me. Janis's is the classic. The Dead recorded it I am sure many times, but it first appeared on 1971's Skull And Roses. They originally wanted to call the album Skull F-uck, but that didn't go over to well with the higher ups at Warner Bros.

1 hour ago, jvi said:

go ahead and sing, BUT only what we want to hear, OPINION is upsetting  ....( if its not "ours" )  emoji that !  laugh out loud....

To be honest, I don't pay enough attention to even know what his opinion is.

and further to that end, I don't care.  Opinions are just like  a $ $ holes.  Everyone has one

Most of us at the end of the day, pretty much want the same things.  Just how we "Get There" is quite different for guys like this, verses people like you and I

7 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Well, maybe Waters doesn't have one.  And THAT'S why he's so full of sh!t.

Whitefang

He has one, but his a-sshole has morphed into his whole body.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 3

I would like to add Roger and the Phlegmtones, dont know how they were overlooked.

P.S.

I've got Roger Water's next album title: China and Russia, Mysterious Lands Of Enchantment and Hidden Treasures.

Just don't hire the Wagner Group for security at your concerts, it'll make Altamont look like a Campfire Girls bake sale.

Roger has the right to put any show he wants on.. Its not like its any secret what hes about and how wound up he currently is...  As most of us should be really, the world is in a proper state. But I wont be paying to see that show as its up to us if we want to go or not..  No one is forcing anyone to do anything.

I wasnt particularly happy when I saw Jeff Beck a short while ago..  He was basically touring his new album with Johnny Depp.. I have seen Jeff before in one of his more typical incredible performances and that show wasnt one of those. Which was a shame but im not going to go and cry to anyone about it.... The next time he tours I guess it will make me question going again, which I guess depends on exactly what hes doing at the time.

6 hours ago, jvi said:

what about "folk" or "protest songs" ?  Woody Guthrie ?  etc... shut up or thanks ?   I think music is a great place for social comment ...so thanks from me...

You have a point although both the society and the artist/entertainer commenting on it have changed hugely.    Songs like "This Land" and "Blowin' In The Wind" still have some power today as they are timeless - a voice and a guitar.

Agree totally with Rabs that RW has the right to put any show he wants on.   However the disclaimer reads as arrogant and just plain silly.  It is disingenuous as he knows the audience will have paid a lot for their tickets.

Also remember that Sgt is still into Floyd and started this thread -

I was a Floyd fan and loved the music up to DSOTM but it got very dark and depressing after that, and I lost interest with "Wish You Were Here".   Some of those songs were dirges...IMO The Wall was a near-incoherent rant against well, everything.  It didn't inspire me but (in 1980) the South African government banned ‘Another Brick In The Wall’, after 'the lyrics were used by school children to protest their inferior education in apartheid-era black schools.'   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_Brick_in_the_Wall

I used to work with a guy who saw Waters 'The  Wall' tour over 42 times.  Lots of  people really liked it.

Edited by jdgm

12 hours ago, jvi said:

if you go to see a person or band that is opinionated AND you know the opinion and you dont like it  DONT BUY A TICKET !  - are you saying  you would stop people from saying and playing what they want ? 

You don't like what I say, and probably want me to stop, or are you going to back me up, and agree that all the stuff I said here is okay because its MY OPINION?

So if I do have the right to my opinion, get off my a-ss when I do it.

Here is how f-ed up his brain is:

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/roger-waters-blames-israel-george-floyd-death/

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

He could always get the mutl-talented Steven Seagal to be his opening act.

They share a similar world view and talent, oh my god.

He's got your guitar Steve and a Soldano amp to boot. He looks so bloated that he might pop. There was time he was slipping Little Steven in the hot chick from Weird Science.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, SteveFord said:

He could always get the mutl-talented Steven Seagal to be his opening act.

They share a similar world view and talent, oh my god.

I'd rather listen to that than his political views.

At first I thought, this was a gag video that was in a loop.... nope.... the band was going in for the hook and he's still tinkin away! 🤣

Edited by Big Bill
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, jvi said:

what about "folk" or "protest songs" ?  Woody Guthrie ?  etc... shut up or thanks ?   I think music is a great place for social comment ...so thanks from me...

Nothing wrong with that as long as nothing goes beyond the music.  Them old folk protesters let the songs do their talking for them and never took too much to preaching at their concerts.  With the exception of Joan Baez.  She was (is) a beautiful singer who sadly couldn't help herself from yapping to audiences about whatever "cause of the month" she was involved with.  It's kinda what divided her and Dylan.  Dylan would take an issue, write, sing and/or record a song about it and move on.  Joanie couldn't do that. 

Personally, I don't let any artist's politics dictate my like of their "art", whether it be music or movie acting.  If I did that I'd have to ditch all my Zappa recordings and John Wayne DVDs.

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Mr. Rogers  (yes, a musician - "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood".   

Don't sell Fred Rogers short.  My kids used to watch that show.  I'd sit through it and did see what his appeal was.  But anyway....

On one show a grandniece was watching at our house one day he had Ellis Marsalis  and his sons  Branford,  Delfeayo and Jason on the show playing some very tasty sounding jazz.  

Now, THAT was a beautiful day in the neighborhood!  [thumbup]

Whitefang

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Personally, I don't let any artist's politics dictate my like of their "art", whether it be music or movie acting.  If I did that I'd have to ditch all my Zappa recordings and John Wayne DVDs.

Yes, many musicians, and actors are a-ssholes, as many of us are as well. I will be the first to admit I certainly am. And if we only watched TV, movies and listened to music from people that are not total jerkwads we probably wouldn't have much to watch or listen to. I have not thrown away all my Floyd albums because Roger is a total t-wat. He is a person who was in a huge band, and over the course of that band, and during his solo career he has made great music. Animals is absolutely amazing. The Pros And Cons was a really killer solo album of his. But what he spews, and believes, and says at his shows is a deal breaker for me. No Roger you are not more important that anyone else in the world, and if you think you are your an elitist, and can go eat an entire family size bag of d-icks, and I will buy them for you.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I've been practicing all day to nail those same 2 1/2 notes on my Firebird but it's just not happening.

Maybe my thumb isn't fat enough?  I'll be back tomorrow, I'm off to buy a week's worth of Happy Meals and a bag of Three Muskateers.

Dibs on the fries. Just baby step it and take it one note at a time and probably in a week you might be there. Why does Gibson not have a S S Sig Model Firebird? Depp had the Pirates Of The Caribbean SJ-200.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You don't like what I say, and probably want me to stop, or are you going to back me up, and agree that all the stuff I said here is okay because its MY OPINION?

So if I do have the right to my opinion, get off my a-ss when I do it.

Here is how f-ed up his brain is:

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/roger-waters-blames-israel-george-floyd-death/

you have the right to your opinon,- on an open forum you dont have the need to be so rude and beligerent with swearing and gutter crap talk because you disagree with some one, There may be polite people who want to read something  less foul-     I dont read things that artists or actors say .     You do seem to be particularily mad at anti war pro green folks .... luv ya them wars and pollution dont cha...

• Sad 3