Gibson Brands Forums

What’s your plectrum of choice?

Hype

Either my V-pick Large ULP. They are made of Acrylic and are triangle shaped. Or my Blue Chip TP35-1R. The V-pick is a .8mm and the BC is .9mm. The thing I love about the V-picks is you basically get 3 picks due to it being a triangle. I know the BC I posted is a 40 mine is a 35. The numbers stand for how may 1000's it is.

https://shop.bluechippick.net/tp40-1r/

https://v-picks.com/shop/ols/products/the-large-pointed-ultra-lite

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Not particularly picky..  Just like medium gauge but dont really care what make it is...  I got some cool Hendrix ones from Dunlop that come in a little tin.  But I do quite like the ones that have some texture on the side you grip.. 

Image 1 - DUNLOP - VAN HAMERSVELD - JIMI HENDRIX GUITAR PICK TIN - 6 PICKS - MEDIUM GAUGE

Edited by Rabs

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

Not particularly picky..  Just like medium gauge but dont really care what make it is...  I got some cool Hendrix ones from Dunlop that come in a little tin.  But I do quite like the ones that have some texture on the side you grip.. 

Image 1 - DUNLOP - VAN HAMERSVELD - JIMI HENDRIX GUITAR PICK TIN - 6 PICKS - MEDIUM GAUGE

I have a Hendrix tin. Mine is the cover of Axis. It had picks in it of his album covers. I use it for my spare bridge pins. I have a few Jazz shaped Dunlop Prime Tones picks in .73 and .88 The grip part on it is really good. Maybe I should get these.

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dunlop-picks-zappt01m-yellow-medium.html?sku=DUN_ZAPPT01M&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvZCZBhCiARIsAPXbajs7hdZ090Fda_33lYwjijpIf6zsokemHskeIdBm66BCZ7u0_aE9rZwaAl3jEALw_wcB

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I also have an inscribed pure silver pick that I was given as a 40th birthday gift from my sisters..  And while it is a cool thing to have I really cant stand using it.. Too hard for me and I dont like the metal on metal feel or sound..  Same with some stone pick I have.. Its cool but just too hard for me..  I like a small amount of flex for rhythm playing.

On 9/16/2022 at 4:47 PM, ksdaddy said:

My fave

Tortex, thick as a plank. I switch off between the sharp point and one of the rounded edges, depending on how vigorous I feel at the moment. 

Nice choice and fairly priced….

I use 3 types of picks at the moment:

For General Use:
- D’addario Keith Urban Picks (amazing you get 3 different tones depending on which side of the pick you use. Warm, Bright and Scratchy)

- Herco Flex 75

For Fast Leads

- Jazz III’s Nylon or Torex

22 hours ago, Rabs said:

Nice tin…

21 hours ago, Rabs said:

I also have an inscribed pure silver pick that I was given as a 40th birthday gift from my sisters..  And while it is a cool thing to have I really cant stand using it.. Too hard for me and I dont like the metal on metal feel or sound..  Same with some stone pick I have.. Its cool but just too hard for me..  I like a small amount of flex for rhythm playing.

Metal picks suck. I bought a silver one and a copper one. They are hard to play and the tone is atrocious. But it’s a nice gesture you got a silver pick. Keep it stored away as a memento…

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Either my V-pick Large ULP. They are made of Acrylic and are triangle shaped. Or my Blue Chip TP35-1R. The V-pick is a .8mm and the BC is .9mm. The thing I love about the V-picks is you basically get 3 picks due to it being a triangle. I know the BC I posted is a 40 mine is a 35. The numbers stand for how may 1000's it is.

https://shop.bluechippick.net/tp40-1r/

https://v-picks.com/shop/ols/products/the-large-pointed-ultra-lite

Interesting choices and I have seen both before, but just never got them…I’m going to give these a try..

21 hours ago, SteveFord said:

https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-47PEJ3N-Johnson-Classic-Players/dp/B00DRFPF7I

held backwards with the pointy end away from the strings, one of the top corners is used on the strings.

Works for me.

Good choice. Think Bonamassa used these after watching Eric Johnson using them in an instructional video. Then of course Bonamassa got his own signature pick copying these.

Jazz III Nylons without the name. But the Jazz III Torex are way different and sound just as good..

Edited by Hype

2 hours ago, Hype said:

LOL. How much for the signature?

Not really all that bad actually.  Been a while, I buy them a gross or two at a time, so maybe 40 bucks a gross.  And nobody else can get that white pearl with rct on it but me, from that guy. 

I'm a pick user.  The current two I take out with me have been in my pocket for months, one is about to be retired.  I don't use them and toss them, drop them, I rarely give them away.  When they are too chipped and nicked up to use I retire them to a pile that I have no idea what I will do with.

rct

24 minutes ago, rct said:

Not really all that bad actually.  Been a while, I buy them a gross or two at a time, so maybe 40 bucks a gross.  And nobody else can get that white pearl with rct on it but me, from that guy. 

I'm a pick user.  The current two I take out with me have been in my pocket for months, one is about to be retired.  I don't use them and toss them, drop them, I rarely give them away.  When they are too chipped and nicked up to use I retire them to a pile that I have no idea what I will do with.

rct

Horder