Gibson Brands Forums

Things Many Young People Will Never Know...

Murph

No internet and what that was like..   I remember talking to my niece when she was about 7 years old and using the tablet to watch youtube..  I tried to explain to her that when I was her age there was no internet or computers (well not like today)..  Her answer was " So how did you watch Youtube then"  😄  ]

When there were only three TV channels so when there was nothing on you wanted to watch you would do something more practical with your time (rather than channel or Netflix surfing)

Not that its a bad thing.. But smoking in public places.. 

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

Making "belts" out of coke pull tabs.

Some girls in my high school made 'em out of chewing gum wrappers.

a3eb623600c5f651039977b224eb135f.jpg

And "poppers" made from some triangular folded paper.    And those folded paper devices which you would play with using your fingertips to open one way and also open an opposite way.  Damn.  Can't remember what those were called.  Anyway....

Talking for long stretches of time in a pay phone booth.

The sound of getting two AM stations at once on your pocket transistor radio.

The feeling of triumph when snapping in one of those yellow plastic "adapters" into the hole of a 45rpm single without breaking it.

Stacking records on the thin spindle in the turntable of the "phonograph".

Riding a bicycle without the same amount of padding and protection of an NHL goalie.

Or just riding a bicycle and respecting the same traffic laws that car drivers are required to.

Ice cream truck vendors who speak English without any kind of accent.

And are old enough to be your Grandpa.

Unregulated snow sledding.

Fitting roller skates to their shoes using a special made "key".

Toys that still required a modicum of imagination in order to be enjoyed.

The taste that "flavor straws" gave a glass of milk.  Or how "fizzies" transformed a glass of water into a soft drink.

Wearing clothes that don't look like everybody else's.

For many, not knowing how to tell time on an analog  clock or watch.

Or wearing a watch at all.

Reading comic books instead of "graphic novels".

Just reading books instead of their phones or tablets.

Making eye contact and socializing with people without the aid of electronic devices.

Whitefang

• Thanks 1

Sending off a roll of film from an actual camera to get developed..  Again. not that, thats a bad thing.. Instant digital photos are cool. But there was an excitement about getting the pictures back and having actual physical pictures to put in an album.

Ohh, how about jobs that were for life when companies showed loyalty to good employees.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

Bowling.

Actually, my 2nd daughter just got into bowling via her current squeeze.  She's in her mid 40's, not really the age group we're focused on here.  But I went with her and Kevin( the squeeze) and noticed several high school aged millennials  taking up several of the lanes in the place.  And I was somewhat surprised by that.  And when I was a kid, there were four bowling alleys we could frequent.  Now, only one of them is still operating.  One closed up at this century's beginning, another, a combo bar and bowing alley, closed up years ago and became the bar and lounge my ex worked at that also had live bands provide the music.  And the third was just six alleys in a pizzeria that was razed in the late '90's.

Whitefang

Playing 45’s on a Record Player…

The Top 40 came out every Week & my brother & I would to the Record Shop.. We’d take the 2-3 new Records from Top 10 that We didn’t already have into a Record Booth & played them so We could choose the one we were buying & taking home to wear the Grooves out of….

52 minutes ago, Rabs said:

When there were only two official genders...   😄  

You might be confusing gender with sex. Most think they are the same thing and they are not. I had to look up both definitions. Sex is male or female, such as you have testicles or you don’t. Hence your a male if you do. Gender is not, it refers to the characteristics of men and women that are socially constructed roles and behaviors. Like being a Drag Queen. That’s a gender not a sex. There is no Drag Queen box to check on your birth certificate, but there is male or female.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You are confusing gender with sex. I had to look up both definitions. Sex is male or female, such as you have testicles or you don’t. Hence your a male if you do. Gender is not, it refers to the characteristics of men and women that are socially constructed roles and behaviors. Like being a Drag Queen. That’s a gender not a sex.

It was just a silly joke really..  It makes no difference to me what people want to identify as...  As the great Alan Partridge once said "What people choose to put in their mouths is their own business"  😄  

1 minute ago, Rabs said:

It was just a silly joke really..  It makes no difference to me what people want to identify as...  As the great Alan Partridge once said "What people choose to put in their mouths is their own business"  😄  

Your right, but I don't want the media, and tv ect to shove it down our throat (get it) every 2 seconds.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Your right, but I don't want the media, and tv ect to shove it down our throat (get it) every 2 seconds.

Well thats just modern media for you..  Thats how they get clicks. Everything is overblown. They will just jump on anything thats current or trendy and shove it in your face till you are sick of it.... And im almost sure they do it to get reactions like yours.. They seem to excel in dividing opinion which is what seems to drive most of social media (and main stream media for that matter).

• Like 1

here's another

using the "CUE" arm on a turn table to replay small sections of songs so you could learn songs and solos off albums

(What's a YouTube)

OR,

the PRE CUE arm days when you'd just scratch the ever living s---t out of your records.

Went thru a few copies of Live At The Fillmore East, Machine Head and the first 2 Zepplin Albums,,

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Well thats just modern media for you..  Thats how they get clicks. Everything is overblown. They will just jump on anything thats current or trendy and shove it in your face till you are sick of it.... And im almost sure they do it to get reactions like yours.. They seem to excel in dividing opinion which is what seems to drive most of social media (and main stream media for that matter).

Very true. If you don’t have a gay/lesbian character in your tv show by episode 3, it’s canceled due to lack of diversity.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Very true. If you don’t have a gay/lesbian character in your tv show by episode 3, it’s canceled due to lack of diversity.

LOL!  Sad state of affairs all around.     Lets see how long it takes someone's to come back on this and call us homophobes..  

🙄

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

Eating Hostess, Drakes or Entenmann's cakes when they were still loaded with trans fat tasted great.

RIGHT!

Devil Dogs!!!!  They were the best things ever...  till it was decided devil dogs was bad, and Drakes "FIXED" them..  Now they suck.

Edited by kidblast

11 minutes ago, kidblast said:

LOL!  Sad state of affairs all around.     Lets see how long it takes someone's to come back on this and call us homophobes..  

🙄

The Canadian just got an alert we will be here pronto. Nothing I said was anti-gay, it was just an observation. No where did I say it was wrong or immoral or illegal.