Gibson Brands Forums

Things Many Young People Will Never Know...

Murph

The clarity of a phone call on a land line. Where you could hear the other person sigh, their neighbor's dog, someone's steps as they were walking past, the "whoosh" of them opening a beer, birds singing in the distance, the opening of a Zippo lighter and that first drag, the zipping of trousers, shuffle of a deck, the buttons being pushed on the answering machine intent on recording the conversation....

• Like 3

ordering something from a "Mail Order" Catalogue, and then waiting "4 to 6 weeks for delivery"

the smell of car exhaust from the in-traffic cars ahead of you on a cold fall morning.

waiting for mid October and the start of bird hunting season.  Does anyone under 30 hunt, or even know how to handle a firearm?

looking for a phone booth to call for a ride home 

knowing where all the scratches and pops are on your favorite album

the "click, kerthunk" of an 8 track tape playing in your car or home stereo

45 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

Letting your finger ride the phone dial back.

The warmth of vinyl. 

Using a card catalogue. Hell, going to a library.

Vinyl is making a come back, and the young hipsters are all about being cool and retro.  I go to used records stores when I can and I see 20 somethings in there buying vinyl, so that one I'm gonna have to disagree on.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, brad1 said:

Cigarette machines 

TVs stopping broadcasting at night

Cutting your foot on a coke can pull tab

Yeah.  "Stepped on a pop-top"   in Margaretaville !   TV stopped broadcasting - I think at midnight. Ended with playing the Star Spangled Banner. Then you got a Test Pattern and Static until around 6am.

Edited by fortyearspickn

Just now, gearbasher said:

fb75099a7afda194ea61f16c2668fb83--retro.

That does not look safe. I do know what pull tabs are. Remember when I think it was Coors had those two round tabs you would push in open the beer, so it vented the can. Cut my finger pushing a few of those in when I was under age.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Buying a candy bar for a dime.

Collecting soda pop bottles from the side of the road for the deposit to buy that candy bar.

Getting up to change TV stations

Smoking everywhere, restaurants, clothes stores, bars, movies, and everwhere else

Of course some things are better now.

Edited by Notes_Norton

Just now, Notes_Norton said:

Buying a candy bar for a dime.

Collecting soda pop bottles from the side of the road for the deposit to buy that candy bar.

Getting up to change TV stations

Smoking everywhere, restaurants, clothes stores, bars, movies, and everwhere else

I think the cheapest I remember a candy bar being was 12 cents.

33 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Proper snowy winters in most of England.

I could say the same for "New" England.  We used to have snow banks too high to see around on every street corner. I've many photos when I was younger taken of me standing on our very own snow mountain at the end of the drive where where my dad had no choice but to just keep adding to it with every new storm.   These days, those kinds of winters are rare.