Gibson Brands Forums

Things Many Young People Will Never Know...

Murph

40 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Yep.  And fora short time they did away with the box for entering the newborn's "race".  On my wife's Birth certificate, in the box for "race", the doctor wrote "white".  But today, since being allowed to put that on birth certificates,  They'd probably put up a list with little boxes to check, and there'd likely be one for "Hispanic/Latino".  I thought it amusing that back in 1941 and in Texas, of all places, the doctors there thought my Mexican parented wife was white.  

I thought they were more or less arcane when I was a kid.  Record store booths that is.  The record store I frequented didn't have them.  I asked about that once and the owner(who also worked the counter) said "Those went out with poodle skirts!".  But I always thought they were a cool idea.

Or the now long gone fast food places like----Daly Burger,  Top Hat,  Carter's,  Burger Chef.

Young people now will also never know....

The aroma of burning leaves in the Fall

"Commercial free" movie theaters.  With double features, one or two short subjects, a couple of previews and cartoons before and between the movies.

Stores that will do their best to sell what you want, not sell you what THEY want to.

Or a practice of commerce where the consumer controls the market instead of the other way around. 

Whitefang

Guess I’m showing my age! It was when Girls wore Poodle Skirts! The Record I remember playing the most was, “What’d I Say” by Ray Charles.. On one Side was Part 1 & on the other Side was Part 2… Ray Rocked his A$$ off on both  Sides! After we got done listening to Records we’d ride our Bikes over to Dairy Queen & get Ice Cream cones… LOL! 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

When I was a Navy contractor I went down to Mayport to work on the Iwo Jima to work on it for 3 weeks. If any one remembers Squirrel Nut Zippers, a store about a 2 min walk away form the hotel had them. They were 10 for a buck. By the time I left, I bought the store out of their supply.  And yes as you were a squid (no offense I was too) I am sure the pop-tops were not from Coke cans.

Squirrel Nut Zippers??  [wink]

Whitefang

7 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Squirrel Nut Zippers??  [wink]

Whitefang

I saw the updated version of SNZ a few years ago in Newport News. The singer and maybe one other member was original. I think the singer was married to the female singer that was in the group and they are now divorced. They were really good. I have the album with Hot on it and the one after with the flowers on the cover. 

https://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/squirrel-nut-zippers-return-to-massachusetts/

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 9/28/2022 at 8:08 AM, Murph said:

The clarity of a phone call on a land line. Where you could hear the other person sigh, their neighbor's dog, someone's steps as they were walking past, the "whoosh" of them opening a beer, birds singing in the distance, the opening of a Zippo lighter and that first drag, the zipping of trousers, shuffle of a deck, the buttons being pushed on the answering machine intent on recording the conversation....

And the satisfaction of physically slamming the receiver down to hang up when you were pissed at the person on the other end.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, saturn said:

And the satisfaction of physically slamming the receiver down to hang up when you were pissed at the person on the other end.

ha!  yes!  that is something I actually miss!!!  I loved the way the phone would respond with a satisfying "DING" when the ringer bells went off!!!  "TAKE THAT A--HOLE!!!" 

Ahh the good ol' days.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, rct said:

Everybody goes to Gino's...

rct

I make my own. Best pizza I ever had was the summer of '81 in Clifton, NJ. Me and my cousin drove to a place called Mr. Pizza about 5 mins from my cousins house to pick it up.

The one in North Myrtle is spelled with and "e" instead of an "i".

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

13 hours ago, saturn said:

Yeah.  Saying, "Oh, YEAH?"  and pushing hard on the "end" button of a cell phone just don't get it.  [wink]

37 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Ordering food by talking to a round white ball, with a face and a hat on it called Jack at Jack In The Box.

A friend of mine who was stationed in California while in the Marines told me all about jack In The Box and Hardee's too.  A few years before there ever was any of each here in Michigan.  

Young people(around here anyway) will never know about getting pizza delivered to the house on just a cardboard disc the size of the pizza that's placed sideways into a paper bag that's stapled closed.  I never saw a pizza box until the mid '70's.  And then only Little Caesar's used them.

Or how about sneaking a few friends of theirs in the trunk of their car at a drive-in movie?

Whitefang

12 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Yeah.  Saying, "Oh, YEAH?"  and pushing hard on the "end" button of a cell phone just don't get it.  [wink]

A friend of mine who was stationed in California while in the Marines told me all about jack In The Box and Hardee's too.  A few years before there ever was any of each here in Michigan.  

Young people(around here anyway) will never know about getting pizza delivered to the house on just a cardboard disc the size of the pizza that's placed sideways into a paper bag that's stapled closed.  I never saw a pizza box until the mid '70's.  And then only Little Caesar's used them.

Or how about sneaking a few friends of theirs in the trunk of their car at a drive-in movie?

Whitefang

Jacks Tacos Rock. That was on one of their commercials. So bad for you, but so good. Out in Cali Hardee's is called Carl's Jr. Texas has Jack In The Box, and so does SC, but not  around where I live. I've never had the Michigan pizza with the sauce on top. I've had many a Chicago style when I was stationed in Great Lakes. The last time I had it I was on my way back from working in Korea. My flight was delayed in Shanghai, so when I got to Chicago the last flight was long gone to get home. I spent the night in a hotel by O'Hare, and walked across street to get a pizza. It was the same night the riots were happening in Baltimore and when I found out Bruce Jenner was going into full on chick mode. I thought that was some sort of joke, but it wasn't.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

There's only a few Hardee's around here anymore.  And their signs say "Hardee's/Carl's JR." 

The Hardee's here in LP is now a Wendy's.  I never understood that.  I remember I thought they were better than BK's.  And less expensive too.    And I remember (as a kid) us occasionally getting chicken dinners from a place called "Chicken Delight".   They've been gone for decades in my town.  The building is still there, and for years was a Hungry Howie's pizza place.  Howie's gone and it's now a Cottage Inn pizza place.  For kicks I searched online and found that Chicken Delight is still in business but mostly in Canada and the New York city area.

Whitefang

45 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I make my own. Best pizza I ever had was the summer of '81 in Clifton, NJ. Me and my cousin drove to a place called Mr. Pizza about 5 mins from my cousins house to pick it up.

The one in North Myrtle is spelled with and "e" instead of an "i".

Gino's was an east coast burger joint.  It was where we were introduced to KFC actually.  Gino Giant.  Sirloiner.  Lots of folks found them better tasting and better quality than McDonalds.  Not quite as good as Roy Rogers, but almost.

rct

1 minute ago, rct said:

Gino's was an east coast burger joint.  It was where we were introduced to KFC actually.  Gino Giant.  Sirloiner.  Lots of folks found them better tasting and better quality than McDonalds.  Not quite as good as Roy Rogers, but almost.

rct

Don't all self respecting Jersey-ites got to White Castle? That was where I was introduced to them. Buy em by the sack.

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Don't all self respecting Jersey-ites got to White Castle? That was where I was introduced to them. Buy em by the sack.

They were for after 3am when most of the other joints were closed and you didn't feel like the local Puke 'n 'Bort, or, diner.  Which is another thing young people will never know in this area, a good diner.  Every town had one.  They all blow now.  Terrible.

rct

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rct said:

They were for after 3am when most of the other joints were closed and you didn't feel like the local Puke 'n 'Bort, or, diner.  Which is another thing young people will never know in this area, a good diner.  Every town had one.  They all blow now.  Terrible.

rct

In Cali we were lame and went to Denny's after midnight.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Sliders.

I think they call them that, because they slide right in then they slide right out.

Edited by gearbasher
  • Haha 1