Gibson Brands Forums

Stains on back of Les Paul from cleaning cloth

Slade Mikel

1 hour ago, Slade Mikel said:

I had a black Gibson cleaning rag with nothing on it under the guitar in the case and it left black marks all over it that guitar cleaner can't seem to remove. Has this happened to anyone else and if so can they be removed? Thanks

IMG_4765-3.jpg

Gibson guys gotta have their nitro finish. Its what makes a Gibson a Gibson. Sorry to tell you if its burned into the nitro, you are probably out of luck. Something was on the cloth, or the black dye used to color the cloth had an effect on your guitar.

I have owned several Martins and Gibbys too, and Martin sprays nitro too, but I have never heard, or seen someone state it ever happened to a Martin. I could be wrong though.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

People recommend and use naptha (lighter fluid).

However it looks like your guitar has been stained where there is no finish so it's gone through to the wood?

If so it may be worth trying a very small amount of distilled (white) vinegar on a piece of cloth.

Forum members please correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck!

Edited by jdgm

dang!  This is the problem with Nitro,  It's fragile, malleable, and super reactive to anything that makes contact for any length of time

Sometimes even the case interior will leak color pigmentation into the finish.   we've seen white les pauls and sgs start to turn pink from just being in the case.

Stupid really

Yet Gibson presses on with the same formulas in their finish

This sucks..  Sorry this happened, ignore the problem and it doesn't exist.    hope you can find a way to clean that up

8 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

And can't be much of a "cleaning" cloth, can it?

Whitefang

Anti-cleaning cloth. Naphta may work aka lighter fluid. If its burned in probably not. Its more to clean crud that nitro burn.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Anti-cleaning cloth. Naphta may work aka lighter fluid. If its burned in probably not. Its more to clean crud that nitro burn.

I dunno....

Lighter fluid didn't do Jimi Hendrix's Strat finish at Monterey much good.

Whitefang

4 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I dunno....

Whitefang

Looks pretty good to me. Dweezil is now the owner of it. It's called Burn Relic'ed. Tom got nothing on Jimi's relicing skills.

nhLavy7.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/29/2022 at 8:59 PM, Slade Mikel said:

I had a black Gibson cleaning rag with nothing on it under the guitar in the case and it left black marks all over it that guitar cleaner can't seem to remove. Has this happened to anyone else and if so can they be removed? Thanks

IMG_4765-3.jpg

These are micro-particles, used to color that cloth. According to my experience, there is no chemical reaction, just a mechanical one. Like if you put dust on honey, you can never get it out. So, no deterorating damage or flaking, but it will look like that for ever.

On a somewhat similar Gibson "nitro" finish issue; I recently purchased a SNARK "clip on" tuner that "clips on" to the headstock of a guitar and uses vibrations from each string, (that resonate through the guitar), to determine pitch. The instructions literally warn users NOT to clip the tuner to any Gibson guitar as it will damage the "nitro" finish. (Gibson owners need to use the mic setting, instead of the vibration setting, to tune their Gibson without the tuner making contact with the finish.) This warning from SNARK applies to all guitars with "nitro" finishes

21 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I dunno....

Whitefang

well  keep it away from matches and it's ok!

LOL!  actually, it really is an excellent cleaning solvent.  It's probably one of the best ones I've ever used to get gunk off where gunk aint supposed to be.

1 hour ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

On a somewhat similar Gibson "nitro" finish issue; I recently purchased a SNARK "clip on" tuner that "clips on" to the headstock of a guitar and uses vibrations from each string, (that resonate through the guitar), to determine pitch. The instructions literally warn users NOT to clip the tuner to any Gibson guitar as it will damage the "nitro" finish. (Gibson owners need to use the mic setting, instead of the vibration setting, to tune their Gibson without the tuner making contact with the finish.) This warning from SNARK applies to all guitars with "nitro" finishes

yea it's definitely a problem,   Other tuners, like Petereson, have put the correct kind of padding on their tuners that do not interact with nitro

so 20 bucks for a snark, 70 bucks for a peterson (and the peterson is way more accurate)  I know I'm goin down a rabbit hole here.

But I do have a handful of snarks.  I like the peterson better tho

I almost never leave them on the head stock and certainly not when in the case.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, kidblast said:

yea it's definitely a problem,   Other tuners, like Petereson, have put the correct kind of padding on their tuners that do not interact with nitro

so 20 bucks for a snark, 70 bucks for a peterson (and the peterson is way more accurate)  I know I'm goin down a rabbit hole here.

But I do have a handful of snarks.  I like the peterson better tho

I almost never leave them on the head stock and certainly not when in the case.

I have both. The Peterson is really good. I used to leave Snarks on my Gibby’s for weeks at a time with no I’ll effect. My buddy put a Snark on some limited SG he had it was on for 5 mins, and it left a mark. No rhyme or reason to it except nitro is finicky stuff.

On 9/29/2022 at 2:59 PM, Slade Mikel said:

IMG_4765-3.jpg

My suggestion, before you try all manner of hacks and novel suggestions for removing the marks, would be to take the guitar (and the cleaning rag) to a reputable Luthier. 

As it is impossible to "put the $hit back in the horse", let an expert assess the situation before trying anything drastic.

RBSinTo

On 10/1/2022 at 7:42 AM, Sheepdog1969 said:

Sheepdog 1969,

I have used clip-on Snark tuners for the last six years, and have never had a marring problem on any of my six guitars, which include a 1974 D-28 (nitro finish), 2001 j-45 (nitro finish), and a 2001 Guild GAD jf-30 (poly finish).

I never leave the tuner on the headstock for any longer than it takes to tune the instrument, so I don't have marking problems.

RBSinTo

• Confused 1

On 10/2/2022 at 8:23 AM, RBSinTo said:

Sheepdog 1969,

I have used clip-on Snark tuners for the last six years, and have never had a marring problem on any of my six guitars, which include a 1974 D-28 (nitro finish), 2001 j-45 (nitro finish), and a 2001 Guild GAD jf-30 (poly finish).

I never leave the tuner on the headstock for any longer than it takes to tune the instrument, so I don't have marking problems.

RBSinTo

Obviously, I have never left a tuner attached to my guitar beyond the time needed to tune it. As stated in the SNARK manual, said tuner is NEVER recommended to EVER be "clipped on" to any "nitro" finished guitar ever, regardless of how long it is used. Per the SNARK ST-2 tuner instructions; "SNARK advises NOT to use its tuner with any instrument having these types of finishes: Nitrocellulose Lacquer or Gibson guitars, unless you accept the risk of dents to the headstock." (SNARK ST2 SUPERTIGHT). My original comment merely detailed what said tuner could do to "nitro" finished instruments, as specifically indicated in the manual. (who would leave a clip on tuner attached to their instrument beyond the time required to tune it? I mean really?) 

2 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Obviously, I have never left a tuner attached to my guitar beyond the time needed to tune it. As stated in the SNARK manual, said tuner is NEVER recommended to EVER be "clipped on" to any "nitro" finished guitar ever, regardless of how long it is used. Per the SNARK ST-2 tuner instructions; "SNARK advises NOT to use its tuner with any instrument having these types of finishes: Nitrocellulose Lacquer or Gibson guitars, unless you accept the risk of dents to the headstock." (SNARK ST2 SUPERTIGHT). My original comment merely detailed what said tuner could do to "nitro" finished instruments, as specifically indicated in the manual. (who would leave a clip on tuner attached to their instrument beyond the time required to tune it? I mean really?) 

Sheepdog1969,

Placing a piece of soft cloth  over thefront and back top edges of the headstock before attaching the tuner will prevent the jaws from marring the finish.

I suspect the disclaimer in the Snark manual was inserted by some clever Corporate Lawyer as a hedge against someone suing them claiming their guitar was completely ruined because of a mark the tuner left on the headstock.

And finally, I've seen many people leave the tuner on the headstock after use, so I don't think my comment is a foolish one.

RBSinTo

3 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Well, you would be amazed at what some people do to their guitars.  I know I'm constantly amazed with the antics of some people.