Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Bonamassa talks to me!

OrdinaryNimda

Cant get in to JB at all for some reason.. Of course he is a great player but I find him somewhat boring/predictable..  I think maybe its just the type of music he plays. I feel like I have heard it all done before but better..  Like a good comparison I think would be Gary Moore who I love listening too.. His playing and his songs were way better (IMO).. 

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

Cant get in to JB at all for some reason.. Of course he is a great player but I find him somewhat boring/predictable..  I think maybe its just the type of music he plays. I feel like I have heard it all done before but better..  Like a good comparison I think would be Gary Moore who I love listening too.. His playing and his songs were way better (IMO).. 

Haven't listened to too much JB, but... I see where you're coming from. The performance was very professional and everything - maybe too professional. 

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

Haven't listened to too much JB, but... I see where you're coming from. The performance was very professional and everything - maybe too professional. 

I've seen him live, the guy is a machine.   Show was set for a 8pm start time.  At 7:59 the lights dimmed and by 8:00 pm, it was on.   Not much dialogue between songs, they just got on with it.  The sound setup was awesome, small venue, (Wang Theater in Boston)   He stopped for 20 minute intermission and right on cue, they were back at it.   The guy never missed a single note.  

Rabs, I'd bet if you ever get a chance to see him live, you might think twice about "not being able to get into" him.  He is a phenomenal performer, with a top shelf band.

Edited by kidblast
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, kidblast said:

I've seen him live, the guy is a machine.   Show was set for a 8pm start time.  At 7:59 the lights dimmed and by 8:00 pm, it was on.   Not much dialogue between songs, they just got on with it.  The sound setup was awesome, small venue, (Wang Theater in Boston)   He stopped for 20 minute intermission and right on cue, they were back at it.   The guy never missed a single note.  

Rabs, I'd bet if you ever get a chance to see him live, you might think twice about "not being able to get into" him.  He is a phenomenal performer, with a top shelf band.

Now, don't count your chickens.  [wink]

You're obviously a fan.  But to address this,  One "artist" I could also never "get into" is Madonna.  Not back in "the day" or now.  But my daughters were into her, and  a brother in law had tickets, so me and their Mother took them to the show.

I have to admit,  she too was a phenomenal performer,  who also didn't miss a note, and also had a "top shelf" band behind her.   And despite all that, I still didn't think twice about her and as I stated, still not "into" her.  But will admit I enjoyed her show much better than her opening act, the (Yechhh!) Beastie Boys. 😝

Whitefang

22 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

You're obviously a fan.  But to address this,  One "artist" I could also never "get into" is Madonna.  Not back in "the day" or now.  But my daughters were into her, and  a brother in law had tickets, so me and their Mother took them to the show.

I have to admit,  she too was a phenomenal performer,  who also didn't miss a note, and also had a "top shelf" band behind her.   And despite all that, I still didn't think twice about her and as I stated, still not "into" her.  But will admit I enjoyed her show much better than her opening act, the (Yechhh!) Beastie Boys. 😝

Whitefang

That is cause Madonna's music is terrible. There is nothing wrong with you for not liking horrible music. All she makes is music to dance to. The Beasties are clowns, and I never understood why people like them. Yeah you make a party anthem with "You Gotta Fight For Your Right". Never heard anything form them that was remotely any good.

I saw Joe B open for B B King. He was really good, but there are so many guys that do what he does out there, he just gained the fame and $ to buy all the guitars we want. He's no slouch, but I don't listen to him that much if at all. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

I get that completely.  We may not like "the music" but a pro is still a pro.   For my daughters 13th or 14th birthday  we took her to see a "Boys to Men" show in Boston.

The opener was "Brandy" and while that was hard to watch, Baby Face was the next act up.  I could not believe how frikken good he and his 12 pc band was.  Stunning actually.

Then Boys To Men came out, and blew the roof off the place.   While I was not a fan of their music, those guys were extremely good.  It was an impressive performance and my daughter who is now in her forty's never forgot that night and neither did her mom or I.

But Joe, as a guitarist, to me, hit's all the buttons,  That's just me,   not everyones "cup of Joe"  (ha! see what I did) and I get that.  but the guy is top shelf

as a side note, he's also a pretty decent fella, and a total nerd when it comes to gear.  Also, take  a gander for "Joe Bo's Pro Tips" for guitarist.

All tongue in cheek and very amusing.

(1) Pro Tips with Joe Bo #7 - Bing video

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, kidblast said:

I get that completely.  We may not like "the music" but a pro is still a pro. 

There are lots of professional musicians out there. A band playing a bar getting paid to play there, or U2 playing Madison Square Garden. Doesn't mean I like or want to see them live, or hear their music.

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

There are lots of professional musicians out there. A band playing a bar getting paid to play there, or U2 playing Madison Square Garden. Doesn't mean I like or want to see them live, or hear their music.

There's that,  in fact I even pretend to be one myself on occasion

1 minute ago, kidblast said:

There's that,  in fact I even pretend to be one myself on occasion

Nobody pays me too play.  I'm sure they would pay me to stop playing. Does that have a name?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper