Gibson Brands Forums

Donovan

Big Bill

British jazz guitarist is also listed as a guitarist on "Hurdy Gurdy Man".  When it came out, most of us thought it was Ringo Starr doing the drums due to it so closely resembling Ringo's work on "A Day In The Life".   But some sources claim it's John Bonham on drums.  

And always liking Donovan, I was a bit disappointed at his attempted "updates" of "Catch The Wind" and "Colours" found on his "Greatest Hits" LP.  I felt he should have just left them alone.  But I did like his willingness to try different styles and instrumentations, like with-----

Then there was also his tendency to chance accents and syllable emphasis on certain words just to make them fit a particular meter of a song  Like....

Just one example of that.  And sadly, this tune used in a commercial for some brand of teeny-bop cosmetics.  [crying]

Whitefang

18 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Page, Jones not on "Season Of The Witch" according to Wiki.  I didn't know Shawn Phillips was involved.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season_of_the_Witch_(song)

Page and Jones are on "Sunshine Superman" and John Mclaughlin plays rhythm guitar on "Mellow Yellow"!

Those guys were the UK's version of The Wrecking Crew.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, jdgm said:

Page and Jones are on "Sunshine Superman" and John Mclaughlin plays rhythm guitar on "Mellow Yellow"!

Interesting about McLaughlin.  But  I did know John was in Georgie Fame's Flames for a spell.  And heard Mitch Mitchell was too.  But not sure if it was at the same time.

And, it was said(in some places)  that it was George Harrison saying the near whispered "Quite rightly."  in the background.  But I can't swear to it being true.

Whitefang