Gibson Brands Forums

So, how loud can 5 watts get?

GuitarJunkie

I was looking at one of the other topics on amps and noticed quite a few of you using low wattage tube amps. I'd like to pick some of the knowledgeable brains here. I picked this up today...

zmini_front.jpg

zmini_back.jpg

I bought it with the expectation that it probably wouldn't be loud enough to jam with, but perhaps might cut it live if it were mic'd. When I tried it out at the guys place, it was hooked up to a Dr. Z cab with 2x10s running at I believe 8 ohms. With the attenuator set on 2, I was able to almost crank it and keep it at a reasonable volume. BTW, the sound of it was UNBELIEVABLE!!!

When I got home, I wanted to try it out so I put it on top of my Maz 38 - 2x12 combo, set the head to 4 ohms, and plugged in the speakers. I set the attenuator to 2 and couldn't even get the volume to half before my 3-1/2 year old daughter was putting her hands over her ears and saying "Ouch!". I could have been my playing, but I'm pretty sure it was more likely the "wall of tone" spewing out of the Celestion Bluebells. The only way I could dime the volume was to have the attenuator on maximum, and even then it was louder than I like to play at home. With it on zero, I couldn't get the volume to 9 o'clock.

So, give me a lesson in cabinets, wattage, ohms, etc. Is the volume increase strictly a result of the speaker impedance, or is it as obvious as "more speaker equals more volume"? As it is, I'm thinking I might be able to gig this thing.

I have this Gretsch electromatic 5W amp (5222?) and I can't turn it to full volume, it is too loud even with the stock speaker!

Of course, this is at home - no drummer

Playing with a jazz trio works great. Even tried it with a big band, but the drums buried it

After your post I am looking forward to hook it to a cab :-k

I have this Gretsch electromatic 5W amp (5222?) and I can't turn it to full volume' date=' it is too loud even with the stock speaker!

Of course, this is at home - no drummer

Playing with a jazz trio works great. Even tried it with a big band, but the drums buried it

After your post I am looking forward to hook it to a cab ;)[/quote']

I have had similar experiences with the epi 5 watt valve junior. 2 weeks ago my school ensemble played at a hall in Croydon.

There were 600 plus people all clapping in time to us playing the Duelling Banjos. We were all playing through an amp each, the other guys were using large Peavey and Fender transistor amps.

On number 6 I still cut above the clapping and rhythm guitars! My VC 15 Laney Valve amp is another very loud amp!

Matt

I've done a 600-person auditorium with my Valve Junior and the 1x12 cabinet. It was completely overdriven at that point, but if that's the sound you want, it will do it.

I probably could have turned it down to a clean level and still been plenty loud... I didn't do sound, and the only recording was done on a digital camera that overdrives at anything above speaking level.

Ive got a Peavey Vypyr 15 watt solid state. At 8 volume it matches my vox 15 watt at 9 oclock. which is not loud enough to be heard over my B52 100 watt with 4X12 cab at less than 8 oclock volume... The peavey is an 8 inch speaker I think. Vox is a 10 inch, and well b-52 is 4 12's. In my opinion, sure with a 2x12 at 8 ohms. You should be cookin with a 5 watt. My b-52 is at 120watts with 4 ohms.

i thought my champ 600 was loud ( i live in a condo and didnt treat my guitar room yet) but then i modded it with the Merc Magnetics Kit (i dont work for them or anything like that) and i noticed it got even louder...new lead...speakers and a choke apparently do even more than the 5w standard...more than enough to record with...and ive seen it power a full marshall stack (even though im sure it wouldnt be as powerful as getting a bigger head unit)

To Gain three decibals(which is just about the minimum difference the human ear can notice) of volume, you must double the watts. So, a 5w amp only sounds slightly quieter, and a 2.5 watt amp only sounds 3 decibels quieter than that... and do on. so, your 5w sounds only about 12 dec. quieter than a 100w. :- its bad for business....

Thank You Surfpup for teaching me that. :-

I've been gigging 150/400 seat clubs with this Blue Angel.

<------------------------

For a few years now set on 15 watts. (2:6V6's) Cranked. When I switch to 4;EL84's, I swear I don't gain much headroom.

I'm only now needing more headroom, and am about to, perhaps, make a MAJOR change.

Murph.

Archived