Gibson Brands Forums

I Apologize

badbluesplayer

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

IMHO  that first album was lightning in a bottle. 

VH II,, the only song that actually I can remember, is "Dance the night away" I think was from that one .  That was a good cover too, definitely got the crowd off their arses and on the dance floor.. After that, I just kind of lost interest in what they were doing other than being amazed at how Eddie could play.  I did also like the harmonies they pulled off,  but the songs,  "meh..."

II opened up with a cover, but it was done VH style with You're No Good. For me the second one is ahead of the first just by a nose. I remember at my cousins house when I heard Eruption for the first time. My jaw dropped. Until the Randy Rhodes documentary I never new him and Eddie were in some kind of guitar hero battle.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I remember at my cousins house when I heard Eruption for the first time. My jaw dropped. 

No one that heard that guys tracks on the first album said "ah,....  sure I can do that!"  no one..

It was like a mother ship dropped this guy off on earth,  put the warp drive in 10 and went back to whatever planet they came from.

he was just unbelievable.

10 minutes ago, kidblast said:

No one that heard that guys tracks on the first album said "ah,....  sure I can do that!"  no one..

It was like a mother ship dropped this guy off on earth,  put the warp drive in 10 and went back to whatever planet they came from.

he was just unbelievable.

He gets slack for being the hammer on guy. He is so much more that. He is not doing hammer ons during the entire song, he plays chords and stuff to it you ever listened to it. Those false harmonics (or what ever its called when he taps a fret up high with this picking hand, and has a note or chord fretted way up on the other side of the neck) he does on the fly are amazing. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I've got my flame suit on so I'm ready...

While credit goes to EVH for flashy fingers on the fretboard, most of it to me was just wanking. Seemed to have no direction and never really never seemed to say anything.  And with the band in general, I could have done with 50% or less of that moronic David Lee Roth squeal. 

Whitefang

10 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

While credit goes to EVH for flashy fingers on the fretboard, most of it to me was just wanking. Seemed to have no direction and never really never seemed to say anything.  And with the band in general, I could have done with 50% or less of that moronic David Lee Roth squeal. 

Whitefang

Dave was a ego clown, and was probably not as good a singer as Sammy, but I would rather listen to a lot (not all) the stuff in the Roth era, and I would rather listen to almost none of the Hagar era. Then we got one album with the guy from Extreme on vox. I've never heard any of that one.

The only time I saw VH was the last night of the 5150 Tour at the legendary Cow Palace in Daly City, CA, not SF. Its right next door the SF though. I did not think one man could wear as many bandanas as Sammy did that night. We even got to hear I Can't Drive 55. They should have played a good Montrose tune instead.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Despite not having a fantastic voice, he was a good front guy,  he did his job there.   That whole EGO issue he brought to the table did more harm than good as time went by.   These days?  The guy is just a cartoon character... 

32 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Despite not having a fantastic voice, he was a good front guy,  he did his job there.   That whole EGO issue he brought to the table did more harm than good as time went by.   These days?  The guy is just a cartoon character... 

Remember when it was Dave TV on his video's. When he whapped his face with a pole playing with VH on  Jimmy Kimmel Live was hilarious. Stupid People Suffer.

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

The guy on the left looked like he was playing a banjuitar.  Six string guitar neck attached to a banjo body.  Think I'll go listen to "Jingle Bell Rock"  a dozen times to cleanse my palate. 

Xmas music and (C)Rap are the two musical forms I absolutely loath. Ken And Barbie Country come in third.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

That clip was from a "Tonight" show appearance.  I never saw that one, but saw him do that on Craig Ferguson's "Late, Late Show".  Along with this interview  [crying]

He'd have been great on "The View".  [wink]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Xmas music and (C)Rap are the two musical forms absolutely loath. Ken And Barbie Country come in third.

I love Christmas music.  But usually only around Christmas.  And not 24/7 like too many radio stations have been doing for too long now.  And like any other genre, there's examples I like and others I don't care for.

Whitefang

6 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

That clip was from a "Tonight" show appearance.  I never saw that one, but saw him do that on Craig Ferguson's "Late, Late Show".  Along with this interview  [crying]

He'd have been great on "The View".  [wink]

Whitefang

I never noticed how much Dave smiles.

7 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

They sneak some 'songs in on those serious  stations that are RAP CHRISTMAS songs.   I guess they leave out the 'f' bombs. 

James Brown made an album called Funky Xmas. 

Elvis had a blue one.

The best Xmas song is The Kinks - Father Xmas. Its about Xmas but its really just a Kinks song.

ELP's is good too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

45 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Worst imho is the Michael Jackson   "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus".    Anyone who actually LIKES that song needs to be put on a "Watch List".  

Macca’s Wonderful Xmastime is downright cheesy.

Xmas Wrapping by The Waitress’s was funny done in their snotty kind of way.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

46 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Cheesy?  now,, just f'ing awful more like.. 

26 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

My least fav. is "Happy Holiday/The Holiday Season" by Andy Williams.   🤮

yep  right up there with Bing's "White Christmas"   did they have to include the whistling????

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Xmas Wrapping by The Waitress’s was funny done in their snotty kind of way.

I do this every time Christmas songs discussions come up.

I agree with the McCartney Christmas tune being "cheesy".  Never did like it.  Same with Lennon's.  Every time I hear it I sing along, only singing the lyrics to THIS [wink]

I mean, the DO fit!  [thumbup]

Whitefang

Re: Sir Paul's "Simply Having....."

My stepdaughter has been known to sing it around the house at the top of her lungs, followed by her vocalized rendition of the keyboards.

"Simplee... ha-a-a-ving... a wonderful Christmas time... DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN"