Gibson Brands Forums

What now my Dove. . . (warning ! - stark material)

E-minor7

When the guard needs protection, , , or threatens to eat the guitar. . 

RGcyHx0.jpg

This is a 1984 Anniversary Dove 

VwhlVir.jpg

That one is gassing off  big time.

Someone got the mix wrong. Back then.

thats just like some of my archtop guards.  Crumbling.  

You should get that off of there.   Before the binding goes sideways.    

Edited by slimt

That 2nd photo is amazing- the upper part's gone leather-like, and the lower part's gone to crystalline. 'Hope it's not one of yours, because if so, then now you've got to make a decision... you don't want it shedding while you're playing. Maybe it can be stabilized.

56 minutes ago, slimt said:

You should get that off of there.   Before the binding goes sideways.    

15 minutes ago, 62burst said:

That 2nd photo is amazing- the upper part's gone leather-like, and the lower part's gone to crystalline. 'Hope it's not one of yours, because if so, then now you've got to make a decision... you don't want it shedding while you're playing. Maybe it can be stabilized.

Not mine - but the dilemma remains. Think I'd keep it on a few years longer. Quite beautiful. 

I have a product that could be applied to keep it from crumbling.   I put it on a 1917 F4 pickguard. That was in the process of falling apart. 
I will get the name of the tube and post.   It sets up quickly and oder is very minimal  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, the other side said:

The point here is to drink the schnapzz  and the guard will transform into a thing of beauty or get beautier. This particular one may require 2 applications.

😅 💦                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

I believe that the 90th Anniversary model acoustics were built in Nashville.  While as the story goes. Nashville was not environmentally set up to build acoustics by this time Gibson had long since switched from celluloid pickguards to plastic.  But I have also seen more than a few '84-'85 Anniversary models which did not suffer whatever it is plaguing this poor little beast.  So best guess is, as others have noted, Gibson either got in a bad batch of really cheap plastic or else this guitar was subjected to something that no guitar should be forced to suffer.

Edited by zombywoof

15 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Have no idea of what it potentially means for the guitar, but looks kind of cool.   On my pickguards with a design, I put a light coating of clear gloss finish on them.  Been doing it for years and it works well.

Are you using something that dries, maybe like a lacquer, or, something like a spray on polish like one might use on kitchen appliances for instance?

20 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

No telling what happened, but I would not for a minute think it had anything to do with off gassing.  Someone put some kind of crazy chemical on there.  Napalm ?   

The horror-provoking schnapzz-napalm-naphtha cocktail. 🍸

• Haha 1