Gibson Brands Forums

God Bless Richlite

SteveFord

1 minute ago, SteveFord said:

I collect knives and this one gave me a laugh:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Buck-110-Folding-Hunter-Limited--179289

They source their ebony from Taylor but if you want something REALLY fancy, we have the fake stuff for only another $230.

Supplies are limited, Reserve Yours Today!

On a knife, sure, on a 3k guitar, unacceptable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

You could probably use it to play slide.

If you're in an ELP cover band the keyboardist could grab it and stab down an organ key.

E was a nut when it came to his wall of synths and keys.

To bad him and Wakeman never had a synth battle. Wakeman would have a cape on naturally.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 minute ago, Whitefang said:

Hunting knife?

Really, what game does anyone hunt with a knife?   In MI, we have a gun season(for deer) and a bow season.  But, no knife season I've ever heard of.

Whitefang

Maybe Twinkies, you sneak up on the box and cut it open when nobody's looking.

5 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Hunting knife?

Really, what game does anyone hunt with a knife?   In MI, we have a gun season(for deer) and a bow season.  But, no knife season I've ever heard of.

Whitefang

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight. Well you gotta gut the deer after you kill it and take out the pee sack. You gonna gut it with your 30-06?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Then call it a "Gut knife" and not a "hunting" knife.  [wink] I don't hunt, but those I know who do usually don't gut their kills on the spot.  One brother in law would get his kill to a place he knows that guts, skins and processes the venison for him.  Knew the guy all his life and need only to pay him a case of beer..

Whitefang

12 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Maybe Twinkies, you sneak up on the box and cut it open when nobody's looking.

Twinkies are in season year 'round here and can be easily found at any gas station that has a "mini-mart"(which is damn near all of them).  But they don't(and never did) come in boxes, but placed on a small card and wrapped in cellophane.   [wink]

Whitefang

3 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Then call it a "Gut knife" and not a "hunting" knife.  [wink] I don't hunt, but those I know who do usually don't gut their kills on the spot.  One brother in law would get his kill to a place he knows that guts, skins and processes the venison for him.  Knew the guy all his life and need only to pay him a case of beer..

Whitefang

Twinkies are in season year 'round here and can be easily found at any gas station that has a "mini-mart"(which is damn near all of them).  But they don't(and never did) come in boxes, but placed on a small card and wrapped in cellophane.   [wink]

Whitefang

I don't hunt either, but lots of guys I worked with did. They told me all the time they had to take out the pee sack, I guess its to hard for them to say bladder, or else the meat will taste like piss.

4 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I stalk my Twinkies at Wally World and gut the Family Size box with a Folding Hunter.

With ebony scales (sides), no Richlite for me!

I remember the chocolate covered ones were the business. Do they still make them?

So Steve, no just, select hardwood for your knives? Do these knives have binding and any issues associated with it?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Let's not go there with the binding popping off of the Buck knives.  One nearly took my eye out when that happened, ha ha.

I wonder what percentage of the US population carries a knife as a matter of habit?  I've always had one in my pocket.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Let's not go there with the binding popping off of the Buck knives.  One nearly took my eye out when that happened, ha ha.

I wonder what percentage of the US population carries a knife as a matter of habit?  I've always had one in my pocket.

I worked 4 to midnight in Manhattan. Which meant I was on the subway sometimes until 2:30 AM. I always carried a 110 hunter. Now that I'm retired, it just sits on my desk collecting dust.

Edited by gearbasher
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gearbasher said:

I worked 4 to midnight in Manhattan. Which meant I was on the subway sometimes until 2:30 AM. I always carried a 110 hunter. Now that I'm retired, it just sits on my desk collecting dust.

I usually had a knife in my pocket when out on liberty when in the Navy and CG in foreign ports.

4 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Hunting knife?

Whitefang

Knife hunting is definitely a thing. Lots of videos about it on YouTube 

Reserve this item today for only $5.00 (non-refundable). Upon shipping, the remaining balance of $319.00 will be charged. Orders will ship in the order they were placed. Unfortunately, we don't have an estimate as to when this item will ship.

Is this a five-dollar joke? 

Edited by OrdinaryNimda

There was one that really appealed to me, it's basically a fancy switchblade.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Buck-590-Paradigm-Limited-Edition--179298

I could see sitting in an oversized chair while wearing a fez, playing around this thing and then I saw the price.

On second thought, maybe wearing a fez isn't the thing for me.

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

There was one that really appealed to me, it's basically a fancy switchblade.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Buck-590-Paradigm-Limited-Edition--179298

I could see sitting in an oversized chair while wearing a fez, playing around this thing and then I saw the price.

On second thought, maybe wearing a fez isn't the thing for me.

Would you be listening to Steely Dan with your Fez on?

• Haha 2

$600 for G-10 scales/handles ? Ivory?  Nah - off white hi-tech plastic.        Steel is important and S35vn is good, but you can get a Spyderco folder for half that price. Also American made, same steel.        And $360 for Richlite on the 110  !!  I saw a Buck folder in Walmart this week - a standard  110  and it was $70.  This site has it for the same price. Ebony handles.   That was the knife 90% of the sailors on ships carried in leather pouches on their belts in the Navy 50 years ago.  I don't think there were as many choices as there are now.  I've carried a 'pocket knife'  since then, but would guess only 10% of the male population does.    The other 90% use their teef to open their Twinkie packages.   

Steve is out in the wild, he sees the injured Twinkie on the shelf at Wally World, and with a lightning fast flick of the $329 Richlite folding pocket knife, the helpless Twinkie is gutted and devoured whole. He smiles as he wipes creme filling from the corner of his mouth.

Now off to the beer isle.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Stabbing open a can of beer is one thing but when you get to the wine aisle, you can't beat one of these:

xWcZv79.jpg

Those were in every store in Switzerland when I went there. I bought my son one who was a Boy Scout at the time. I just bought him one with just a blade, maybe it had two blades. It didn't have 700 other attatchments.

Boy those knives seem pricey to me regardless of the material.  

I have a Custom Shop 356 with a Richlite fingerboard.  Hard to tell it from Ebony as far as feel and looks.  It has held up perfectly or 5 years now, so I think it was a good choice for Gibson to use when they were having the Ebony problems.