Gibson Brands Forums

What's on your mind today? The Gibson edition

Pinch

"The cure is worse than the disease."   is why Doctors are taught  "First, do no harm."

Some times 'we' go in to fix one problem and create another bigger one.  Introduce an invasive species to manage or eradicate a natural one that's gotten out of hand - and the new one takes over!   I think science tries very hard to do the right thing.  Prescribed Burns to get rid of  forest floor fuel that would burn off the canopies and kill the  century old trees, etc.  But, sometimes one of those managed burns will get out of hand and someone will demand we stop doing them.    I think it's when the bureaucrats over-rule the doctors, naturalists and brain sturgeons that things go haywire.  Train Wrecks included. 

• Like 1

On my mind today is wondering how long it's going to take the power company to come out to assess the damage and time it'll take for them to clear up the half of the big tree in my backyard that fell onto the power line from their pole to my house that got there as a result of a monster lightning bolt that hit the tree during what was just supposed to be some light rain and ice last night.  I didn't see it happen, but Christ, I sure heard it!

Sounded as if maybe my water heater blew up, it shook the house that much.  Odd thing is I still have power, cable(since my iNet is still working too).

DTE  told me they'll cut away most of the tree that's laying across their power cable, but that I'll have to arrange for some way to get it hauled out of my yard.  But since I'm not the only customer with a problem, I have no way of knowing when any of that will take place.

Whitefang

The mail yesterday really took me back in time.
I must have been 12 or 13 years old and I saved my lawn mowing money and bought a Buck Trapper pocket knife from Herman's World Of Sporting Goods in the Livingston Mall in Livingston, NJ.
How I agonized over that purchase, I was just a kid and didn't have a lot of money and which one to get? Hours of looking at advertisements and then looking at the display and oh boy...
We took a family trip up to the Martha's Vineyard area of Mass and we all rolled down a really steep sand dune for whatever reason.
I had the knife in my pocket and out it came, never to be seen again.
Dejected? Just a little. I lost my Buck knife...
A half a century later, here one is again!
The previous owner even had the Warranty Card and little blurb saying what a great purchase you made!
A little sharpening and some oil and it's good to go.

YV5aAlP.jpg

WDStL1M.jpg

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yep. I had a really nice, genuine horn scales Case lock back  - parents bought me when I joined the USN in '68 (everyone had Bucks).  Gave it to my oldest son a few decades later.  Some terd broke into his p/u truck one night and stole it.  

Good thing they waited.  It all reminded me of a story that took place in my ex wife's family.

Her younger brother(this was back in the early '60's) bugged his dad to get him a pocket knife he claimed to need because he was in cub scouts.   I was once in cub scouts and never recalled ever needing a pocket knife.  It was never required, far as I remember.  But his Dad relented and told him to be careful with it.  But the kid couldn't resist fooling with it and didn't even make it out of the store when he put a gash in his hand so bad it required 10 stitches!  🙄

His Dad took the knife from him and didn't give it back until the kid was 21 and married.  [laugh]

Whitefang

• Haha 1

Well, didn't take long at all.  Right now as I'm typing this, a crew from the power company is in my back yard clearing all the tree branches that fell on their power line to the house.  I figured maybe another week or two until they showed up.

Whitefang

4 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Wow ! 

I think there's something to be said bout Whitefangs remark. I do recall over the years Texas being crapped on b4. Few times. Tho I cant recall all the intances I do remember one.

Back in the day of the controversy of having nukes in rural settings, and during the nuke reduction treaty, along with decommisioning some, we moved a bunch of nukes to just across the texas border in a bunker in Mexico. That way we could technically say we dont have them and could conform to the reduction. Which made Texas a target. To think that Russia wasn't aware was nuts. Because if joe citizen knew, so did they.

• Like 1

Actually, I was just being a wise-azz.  And I do believe my home state Michigan was the other location.  But we turned it down too.  I'd say that after almost a century of the big three, several steel plants and other industry Michigan has no shortage and any need for any more toxic waste. [wink]

Whitefang

Was thinkin bout all the members here. We should set a day this summer in which we all get together on the board. Have a barbeque or indoor feast. All the same day. Where ever we are. Everyone list the meals and activities ahead of time. On that day, everyone post pics and just chat about good times. We have members around the globe. How cool would that be. One big party.

Wonder if we could do that.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Was thinkin bout all the members here. We should set a day this summer in which we all get together on the board. Have a barbeque or indoor feast. All the same day. Where ever we are. Everyone list the meals and activities ahead of time. On that day, everyone post pics and just chat about good times. We have members around the globe. How cool would that be. One big party.

Nice idea, I'm for it!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

Might be a wee bit tricky. given the time zone differences.  I usually restrict my iNet time to a couple of hours starting at 10:00 am EST.  By this month's end it'll be DST.   [wink]   You might not get everyone to join in at the same time, due to whatever their personal situation is, but no doubt a good number will be there in actuality, and the rest in spirit.  [thumbup]

Whitefang

21 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I'll flatten 'em

Of that I've no doubt. Gawd I do miss it.

You ever do go pro clips? Like to see one. Take us all along. Some might find it boring. But not this guy. I remember riding through contry roads in Virginia in the autumn. OMG the sights. All the trees turning color. So relaxing.