Gibson Brands Forums

What's on your mind today? The Gibson edition

Pinch

On 2/7/2023 at 9:26 AM, fortyearspickn said:

I guess what 'is on my mind'  is the video of Turkey's earth quake.  Some  tall (10-15 story) apartment buildings collapsed like an accordion.  Freezing cold. Climbing death estimates at 5000 =   I don't know if that is bodies found or includes people missing. "Rescuers' have shovels and crow bars.  No heavy equipment or  Scent-trained rescue dogs.   Makes me thankful at a level I usually reserve tor Thanksgiving Dinner.   Life is fragile, and in third world countries - even more so.  We are very fortunate. 

What makes it even more sad is that the Turkish official in charge of Disaster Emergency Management only expertise is that he has a degree from Faculty Of Theology.    

8 hours ago, saturn said:

What makes it even more sad is that the Turkish official in charge of Disaster Emergency Management only expertise is that he has a degree from Faculty Of Theology.    

Third World Countries -   pfffft.   Probably the official in charge of enforcing building codes has a degree in  Marketing.    I guess the criteria for getting a high paying govt  job have nothing to do with actual education of experience.  It's why they can't lift themselves up by their bootstraps.  News clips of the rescue efforts seem to indicate the shovel and crowbar are their main tools.  Once I saw a piece of heavy equipment -  like a big  "Bobcat".   Parked. 

1 hour ago, Murph said:

The UFO that flew over Alaska before we shot it down.

Oh, yeah.  That first one we finally shot down after it went out over the Atlantic.   Every right-winger was b!tchin' about how long it took the current CIC to shoot it down.  But all the graphics I've seen about that one showed that after leaving Alaskan air space it floated over almost two thousand miles over Canada.  But NObody's b!tchin' about Canada not doing anything about it.   Probably because there ain't any American DEMOCRATS in Canada.  [wink]

Whitefang

48 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Oh, yeah.  That first one we finally shot down after it went out over the Atlantic.   Every right-winger was b!tchin' about how long it took the current CIC to shoot it down.  But all the graphics I've seen about that one showed that after leaving Alaskan air space it floated over almost two thousand miles over Canada.  But NObody's b!tchin' about Canada not doing anything about it.   Probably because there ain't any American DEMOCRATS in Canada.  [wink]

Whitefang

So, you're cool with Chinese spy balloons flying overhead?

I'm not.

Both should have been shot down before entering our air space.

Before.

Edited by Murph
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have no doubt the gov knew the balloon was there well b4 it entered Canadian and US air space. NORAD is no joke. I also know we can jam and even feed data to devices that survail. The inteligence that can be gleaned from knowking what type data is being sought can be invaluable for counter inteligence. It can, amounst other things, tell us what they don't know and what they are interested in. After intelignce is gathered, in a safe environment, take it down. Now the devices, once in hand, say where they are from, what they are capable of and where devices are sourced. Be it outside China or local. That in itself is invaluable.

For our government agencies to protect us, as we pay them to, they need to safe gaurd info they collect and how it collected. Advisary not knowing this, is a serious advantage for future inteligence gathering. Furthermore, the government knows one of the best methods in safe gaurding inteligence, and the gathering thereof, is misinformation. And it's self evident, that the general public can help do that for them. We postulate all different scenarios. Real or not.

This is the old spy game. It's the way it's been played since the begining of time. I have no doubt our inteligence posture was coriagraphed from the begining. And we are unwittingly part of that. 

China's reaction was, paraphrase, "OK, we'll shoot down what ever you do over our airspace(amoungst other comments)". Well that's been established since Gary Powwel got shot down in the U2 spy plane. So it's merely buisiness as usual with us/public mixing the pot.

Bottom line for me, I'm not worried about how it was handled, about who did what and when. Certainly not concerned about the political banter either. It's all part of the spy game and not advising the general public, letting us run amuck, is routine.

Just the way I want it if we are to protect ourselves on the world stage.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 2

On 2/7/2023 at 3:26 PM, fortyearspickn said:

I guess what 'is on my mind'  is the video of Turkey's earth quake.  Some  tall (10-15 story) apartment buildings collapsed like an accordion.  Freezing cold. Climbing death estimates at 5000 =   I don't know if that is bodies found or includes people missing. "Rescuers' have shovels and crow bars.  No heavy equipment or  Scent-trained rescue dogs.   Makes me thankful at a level I usually reserve tor Thanksgiving Dinner.   Life is fragile, and in third world countries - even more so.  We are very fortunate. 

I would imagine dogs aren't popular there. 

True, Sgt. Pepper is no more.

While he hasn't said so, it would not surprise me in the least if he's saving up to get this one:

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/MOD-RAM019946/Sparkle-Orange

and then convert it to a floating ebony bridge.

It's the meticulous attention to detail that sucked him in.  The true connoisseur will appreciate the finely applied overspray, the lack of paint depth consistency and the exquisitely chiseled binding to complement the trend setting mismatched knob.

Sgt. Pepper will be a lucky man!

Edited by SteveFord

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

True, Sgt. Pepper is no more.

While he hasn't said so, it would not surprise me in the least if he's saving up to get this one:

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/MOD-RAM019946/Sparkle-Orange

and then convert it to a floating ebony bridge.

It's the meticulous attention to detail that sucked him in.  The true connoisseur will appreciate the finely applied overspray, the lack of paint depth consistency and the exquisitely chiseled binding to complement the trend setting mismatched knob.

Sgt. Pepper will be a lucky man!

Hopefully Sgt is back soon. 

I gotta admit I really like the look of that guitar. The split parallelograms are awesome and the piezo seems like it could be interesting. I notice there isn’t a toggle switch but you can’t see if there is a separate output on the side or something. Shame about the imperfections and price but it seems cool to me

2 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

It sure has been nice in here lately!

11 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Hopefully Sgt is back soon. 

Sort of have to agree w/BBill -   I don't mind a good brouhaha bordering on a dust up - but Sgt.Pepper ne. FZfan was intentionally disruptive.  We get enough of that in the real world. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Pinch said:

He's been banned, apparently for good. 

Edit for the smiley-poster: no, really. He was banned. 

A  highly-placed source close to the Chief has indicated to me that yes, he has been permanently banned.

When asked about reports that requests had been made for a Presidential Pardon, the White House replied " No comment".

RBSinTo

49 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

but Sgt.Pepper ne. FZfan was intentionally disruptive.  We get enough of that in the real world. 

He constantly dis-respected the Gibson brand, to the point of absurdity. This is a Gibson Forum for owners and enthusiasts. 

He purposely mis-spelled curse words to get past the filters knowing this site welcomes children and insulted other members with his bad manners and bad spelling. Myself, and many other long-time members and Gibson owners, would avoid this site for weeks at a time because it was becoming embarrassingly stupid.

He obviously wanted to get banned.

Good riddance, I say.

• Like 2