Gibson Brands Forums

What's on your mind today? The Gibson edition

Pinch

1 hour ago, ksdaddy said:

Supposed to be -25f over the next couple days. With 25 mph winds. I’ve got no plans to go anywhere. My only fear is if the power goes out. We have oil fired baseboard heat with no backup. We only have one chimney so the insurance company won’t allow tapping in a wood stove. Not that I would have a clue how to properly run wood heat. I do have a propane heater with two 20lb tanks plus a kerosene heater and couple gallons of K-1. I seriously think the next major purchase for the house should be a generator. 

I'd avoid using the kerosene, K-1 be damned. Get your genny. Electric start w pull start back up. They are prricey.  A plug in/battery carbon monoxide alarm to go with propane heat. Allways keep a window just a crack.

If you removed the oil system, they should allow for wood stove. Double top plate stoves are most efficient.

Lived in mountains for 10 yrs. Hope I helped some.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

Supposed to be -25f over the next couple days. With 25 mph winds. I’ve got no plans to go anywhere. My only fear is if the power goes out. We have oil fired baseboard heat with no backup. We only have one chimney so the insurance company won’t allow tapping in a wood stove. Not that I would have a clue how to properly run wood heat. I do have a propane heater with two 20lb tanks plus a kerosene heater and couple gallons of K-1. I seriously think the next major purchase for the house should be a generator. 

-25f and 25 mph winds? Sounds like ND.

Ive had to run my generator over 100 hrs since April, 78 hours during the April snowstorm and several times this winter already. 
I’ve got a cheaper one I pd 700.00 for, I wish I would’ve bought a Honda but didn’t think I’d use it as much as I’ve had to.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

Thought I'd add info.

Need bout 10 gal/2×5gal of fuel for the gen depending on avail of fuel and gen cap.. mine holds 7.5 gals. Good for 7-10 hrs depend on usage. Does the nearest fuel station run gens when pwr out, be part of your criteria. Get fuel stabilizer to add to every container b4 you put fuel in them. And run that treated fuel thru gen when you get it. Even if you dont use it right away. Also, I'd dbl the amount of propane you have. I also bought a small 2 burner colman stove. May or maynot connect to you 20 gal tanks but do use those smaller 16 oz ones.

• Like 1

Fortunately we have never lost power for "days". Some did in the southern part of Maine when we had a big ice storm in '98 or so. People lost power for 4-5 days I think. The worst I ever recall was about 12-15 hours and that was 3-4 years back. 

I have a propane heater like this: 

40892306.jpg?size=pdhism

I bought it a few years ago when my son in law was putting a transmission in my plow truck. A 20 lb tank would go about 24 hours. I know they're supposed to be used outside but when it's a matter of keeping the pipes from freezing, I'll use it. Ditto for the kerosene heater. I don't LIKE to use it but I also don't care much for fire extinguishes or defibrulators. Back in the 80s I heated my little house with a Sanyo kerosene heater for days/weeks at a time when I had no money for fuel. Stupid, yes, but we do what we gotta.

• Like 1

Another member said I sounded like a "prepper" in jest. Seems that prepping for old age inabilities and living in the sticks are purdy much the same. Save a bunker. Lol. I'm just not fanatical about it. Hoping I wont drop dead tommorrow, be the line of thought. Hope damn sure I'm not mistaken there dontcha know.

Mostly only mentioned because of the odd extreem weather most have experienced. Some have found themselves in situations they never foresaw.

I have something like this. Its hard plumbed tho. Heats 3 bd rambler just fine.

51n-Xi-Dvw1-EL-SL480.jpg

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Another member said I sounded like a "prepper" in jest. Seems that prepping for old age inabilities and living in the sticks are purdy much the same. Save a bunker. Lol. I'm just not fanatical about it. Hoping I wont drop dead tommorrow, be the line of thought. Hope damn sure I'm not mistaken there dontcha know.

Mostly only mentioned because of the odd extreem weather most have experienced. Some have found themselves in situations they never foresaw.

everything you suggested was just smart & came from life experiences I thought ...

2 minutes ago, Karloff said:

everything you suggested was just smart & came from life experiences I thought ...

Deffinately lifes experiences/necessity/survival.

Came from living in mountain valley home at 6000 ft for ten years. No pwr for weeks. 2 sources of heat was building code. And alpine roof angels. Snow could gets to roof line. Local constable would troll around making sure each chimney was emitting smoke. No smoke for 2 days, they would be coming in.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Deffinately lifes experiences/necessity/survival.

Came from living in mountain valley home at 6000 ft for ten years. No pwr for weeks. 2 sources of heat was building code. And alpine roof angels. Snow could gets to roof line. Local constable would troll around making sure each chimney was emitting smoke. No smoke for 2 days, they would be coming in.

DAMN ...

2 hours ago, jdgm said:

[wink]

Met Dolly at ATL airport in '75. Was in cafateria sitting with some guys eating. She came up to our table after noticing I had a guit in tow. Didn't know who she was. She came to me and I got up to greet her. She looked like she had been crying. She had. She cautioned me about the airlines handling of guits. Hers, a beloved first guit had broken whilst in cargo. I explained that I always "carry on" mine. Crew would take it to pilots cabin while in flight. She wished she'd done same. Gots to hold her hand while she explained. Not that I had a choice having manners. She wanted to see my 20th aniv LPCBB. Wow. Impressed I was. Anyway, wasn't till she left that all the guys said "you know who that was?".

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Arg.... no. Stupid me sold it. Go ahead. Kick my a**. I kick mine every day for that.

I had a 60s large headstock Strat which played like you would not believe even after a refret and I sold it for £350 (GBP)  3 weeks before Mark Knopfler went ballistic with Sultans of Swing and Strats came back and went through the roof.  Sunburst, serial no 161234.   Must be worth £16k now.

1978? - Strat, original Hagstrom Swede and Roland JC120 -

Strat-JC120-Swede.jpg

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 2

Nice! Hags and Guilds. IMHO, if you want that sound, there's no substitute. Those and Fenders, IMO, break my own rule of least liked neck design. Basically, bolt on, set, and neckthru as the pinacle. If I said that right.

Edit,

@jdgm

I feel I should apologize. IDK much about Hags. But in my senior years I've become more apreciative of guits used outside of R&R. I have played them. My rule of necks only applies to elect solids. I am drooling over that strat tho. Bet you wish you still had that.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2023 at 2:03 PM, gearbasher said:

I basically cook in the oven. Ribs, meat side down, covered at 225 for about 3 1/2 hours. Then, uncovered in another pan, meat side up, with the 50/50 mix spread over them (+ scallions, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder) for about 15 min. at 350. 

BTW, if you throw in some soy sauce with the mix it makes a great stir fry sauce. Steam some broccoli, fry some beef, onions and red bell peppers. Throw it all together with the sauce. Fry the beef separately and get rid of all the greasy juice that comes out of it. 

C/P to notes. 🙃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CROWB8 said:

Edit,

@jdgm

I feel I should apologize. IDK much about Hags. But in my senior years I've become more apreciative of guits used outside of R&R. I have played them. My rule of necks only applies to elect solids. I am drooling over that strat tho. Bet you wish you still had that.

The original Hagstrom Swede was a LP style solid body guitar but yes, it had a bolt-on neck.  It was so well put together you just didn't notice, I remember the frets were thin and it had mini-pots which was new in those days.  TBH one of the reasons I got it was because one of my heroes Larry Coryell used one (see cover of "Return" LP on Vanguard). 

Now I look at that photo above and I wish I still had those things.  I can play now!

Re;  bolt on / set neck / thru neck.......

Fender Tele.  [wink]

Edited by jdgm

24 minutes ago, jdgm said:

The original Hagstrom Swede was a LP style solid body guitar but yes, it had a bolt-on neck.  It was so well put together you just didn't notice, I remember the frets were thin and it had mini-pots which was new in those days.  TBH one of the reasons I got it was because one of my heroes Larry Coryell used one (see cover of "Return" LP on Vanguard). 

Now I look at that photo above and I wish I still had those things.  I can play now!

Re;  bolt on / set neck / thru neck.......

Fender Tele.  [wink]

My brother-in-law had a Hag Swede. He might still have it. I refinished it for him about 30 years ago. He felt it wasn't good enough to play gigs with. Until I showed him  a pic of Bob Seger  playing one.

573220-7b9983d25adf7db4aafaaa35ffeedbee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

Fender Tele.  [wink]

Nuff said.

My first *real electric, jpn pos aside, was a  late '60s or '70 (no later) tele delux. Blonde, 2 piece neck, maple board. Played nice but again, narrow minded at the time, didn't fit w my R&R interests. Bought for $250. Sold for $225. Then got an unknown year used fat fret gibby sg for $250~ I think.

Back then, used guits weren't "vintage". They were simply an older *used guit. Devalued from orig purchase price.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, gearbasher said:

My brother-in-law had a Hag Swede. He might still have it. I refinished it for him about 30 years ago. He felt it wasn't good enough to play gigs with. Until I showed him  a pic of Bob Seger  playing one.

573220-7b9983d25adf7db4aafaaa35ffeedbee.

I've always liked the looks and feel of Hagstroms.  No, never owned one, but tried out a few back in the "day" at music shops.  I once told the tale here that I ran across a '72 Hag Viking at a pawn shop.  Nice price too.  But within the ten minutes it took me to go home and get the scratch somebody bought it.  [crying] 

Whitefang

• Sad 1

On 2/2/2023 at 2:03 PM, gearbasher said:

I basically cook in the oven. Ribs, meat side down, covered at 225 for about 3 1/2 hours. Then, uncovered in another pan, meat side up, with the 50/50 mix spread over them (+ scallions, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder) for about 15 min. at 350. 

BTW, if you throw in some soy sauce with the mix it makes a great stir fry sauce. Steam some broccoli, fry some beef, onions and red bell peppers. Throw it all together with the sauce. Fry the beef separately and get rid of all the greasy juice that comes out of it. 

For my stir fry mostly use chicken. But beef or pork are not off the table as an option (nor is seafood). But to keep the asian theme, I sear meat first in sesame oil. Then drain like you do. Then add veggies w a tad more oil as I go. Save the soy for after serving is  on the plate.

Wifey and I sometimes do a simple fondue in the living/front room instead of kitchen/dining areas. Makes for cosey atmosphere. Veggie oil, beer or tempora batter. On different occasions, have chicken, sirlion, or pork lion strips. Or prawns, scallop, clam, muscle, cod or sole fish, calamari (if we can find it), when seafood be the theme. Sides, broc, cauli, morell mushrooms, jalapeno, scallions/shallots, all from our garden. 

Lay down a cheap dollar store plastic table cloth on foor, fondue pot on bread board, and get messy.

Problem with seafood is I now live in KY. In Seattle, we get fresh seafood as it comes in off the boats if we want. Here in land locked KY, I dont think they know what fresh seafood is like. Store bought, so called "fresh frozen" doesn't cut it. Spoiled I guess.

Anyway, tnx for the rib recipie. Good to have winter (oven) options.

OK, now I'm hungry....

Edited by CROWB8

16 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

For my stir fry mostly use chicken. But beef or pork are not off the table as an option (nor is seafood). But to keep the asian theme, I sear meat first in sesame oil. Then drain like you do. Then add veggies w a tad more oil as I go. Save the soy for after serving is  on the plate.

Wifey and I sometimes do a simple fondue in the living/front room instead of kitchen/dining areas. Makes for cosey atmosphere. Veggie oil, beer or tempora batter. On different occasions, have chicken, sirlion, or pork lion strips. Or prawns, scallop, clam, muscle, cod or sole fish, calamari (if we can find it), when seafood be the theme. Sides, broc, cauli, morell mushrooms, jalapeno, scallions/shallots, all from our garden. 

Lay down a cheap dollar store plastic table cloth on foor, fondue pot on bread board, and get messy.

Problem with seafood is I now live in KY. In Seattle, we get fresh seafood as it comes in off the boats if we want. Here in land locked KY, I dont think they know what fresh seafood is like. Store bought, so called "fresh frozen" doesn't cut it. Spoiled I guess.

Anyway, tnx for the rib recipie. Good to have winter (oven) options.

OK, now I'm hungry....

Coming from Italian ancestors, I do all my frying in olive oil. But, when I do the stir fry, I also use a bit of sesame oil for the flavoring. I also throw in a bit of sesame oil when making my version of fried rice.

• Like 1