Gibson Brands Forums

What's on your mind today? The Gibson edition

Pinch

5 minutes ago, duane v said:

How did my response influence you to pound out the above absurdly out of context response???????? 

I wasn't directing the statement at you. Its just the whole Hendrix worship thing is old. I know when I see any guitar poll of the best, greatest ect guitarist, I know without a doubt who #1 is gonna be (the top 4 are usually Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton), and it makes me laugh. I dig Jimi's music and lets not forget he only put out 3 studio albums in him actual lifetime, and then 47 more that were never intended to come out.

And this is the whats on your mind thread.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

IDK bout "greatest". Tons of others come to mind. But there's no doubt he was amoung the most influential guitarists of his era. Like most, in the timeline of "greats", if you will, he did leave his mark.

Jimmy Page, Frank Marino, in the same era, to me, were just as influential.

For me tho, a black man playing some of the *hardest/kick a** rock songs of the times, impressed the sh*t outa me.. Solo's were nuts.

Edit,

IMHO,

Like all the "greats", only thing left to do is break the rules. And that he did. No arguing that.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I wasn't directing the statement at you. Its just the whole Hendrix worship thing is old. I know when I see any guitar poll of the best, greatest ect guitarist, I know without a doubt who #1 is gonna be, and it makes me laugh. I dig Jimi's music and lets not forget he only put out 3 studio albums in him actual lifetime, and then 47 more that were never intended to come out.

And this is the what's on your mind thread.

The hell you weren't. 

You quoted me then added your typical self righteous view / response as if everyone is supposed to think or support your line of thinking. Then you get your small band of blind allegiance followers that think your replies are the greatest publications since splitting the atom.

If this thread was put here to question other folks view on what they enjoy by trying find some sort of twisted avenue to make one feel as if they has some sort of flaw in that view..... this thread will have a very short shelf life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can we call it a draw?

The epi eddition of this thread just past its ten year mark. I'm new here, but I'd like it if this thread at least appeared like it might go some where.

Respectfully, no insult,

The newbie.

-----

Edit,

Maybe I'm outa place here. Sorry.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, duane v said:

I just dig what Jimi was all about even though there's a bunch of Beatles tribute instruments in the cave.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Jimi was great by people gotta get over he's the best guitarist ever. He hasn't been able to play a note in over 50 years, cause we all know why. To think no guitarist has made any forward progress since he died is ridiculous. And if you don't think so I got two words for you, Richard Thompson, oh you want two more, how about Lindsey Buckingham.

34 minutes ago, duane v said:

The hell you weren't. 

You quoted me then added your typical self righteous view / response as if everyone is supposed to think or support your line of thinking. Then you get your small band of blind allegiance followers that think your replies are the greatest publications since splitting the atom.

If this thread was put here to question other folks view on what they enjoy by trying find some sort of twisted avenue to make one feel as if they has some sort of flaw in that view..... this thread will have a very short shelf life.

Sgt,  sure, theres been MANY great guitarists that have come along since Jimi's passing.  BUT ...

NO ONE has come close to him. before or since.  even if his style, that style is not someones "cup of tea"  he was hands down the most innovative guitarist ever. he didn't rewrite the book, he threw it out the fn window ...  EVERYTHING changed with what he brought to the table.    he copped his theatrics from Buddy Guy, but his whole groove was out of this world. 

and the greatest example of his abilities IMHO, is the Band Of Gypsys album.  just playing his A$$ off ... 

Edited by Karloff
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, duane v said:

The hell you weren't. 

Duane we all know you have the power to nuke a thread, or give a member a time out, or kick them off for life. You mention it all the time how much power you wield with one click of your mouse. Its great that you somehow earned, or bought, or was awarded, or however you are connected to get the title of Moderator. But this is just a guitar forum, and us clowns here I have said it many times solve nothing here, and what we type changes no ones life in any way. If I get kicked off my life will go on as will yours, and ever other member.

Think what you want about who my comment was directed to, but I am telling you just because I quoted you doesn't mean I was. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

Sgt,  sure, theres been MANY great guitarists that have come along since Jimi's passing.  BUT ...

NO ONE has come close to him. before or since.  even if his style, that style is not someones "cup of tea"  he was hands down the most innovative guitarist ever. he didn't rewrite the book, he threw it out the fn window ...  EVERYTHING changed with what he brought to the table.    he copped his theatrics from Buddy Guy, but his whole groove was out of this world. 

and the greatest example of his abilities IMHO, is the Band Of Gypsys album.  just playing his A$$ off ... 

I think the closest anyone got to Jimi's "style" if you will, was Robin Trower. I didn't necessarily agree with that at the time of RT. But that was the *talk at the time.

As I mentioned b4, and just found my comparison at the time,

Strangly, I compared Jimi to **** Fosbury and his 1968 gold medal doing his "Fosbury flop". I thought, like Hendrix, once one masters an art, only thing left is to break the rules. Not just sound, such as playing behind back, playing with teeth.

Well sh*t! By default, this board wont let me spell his first name. Arg......

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, duane v said:

I just dig what Jimi was all about even though there's a bunch of Beatles tribute instruments in the cave.

So whatcha got in there for Jimi sir? Trib or sig guits? Some memorabilia?

And really interested in any trib or sig Beattles guits.

If it's not too much trouble. Discription is fine. Pics can be a PITA on this site so...

Edit,

Just realized, there wern't a lot of ppl playing rock on fenders *at the time*. Least not the guitarists I was interested in. I know, Clapton comes to mind. But not as many gibby artists for sure.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, kelly campbell said:

Tom Brady just retired, GOOD except now we have to hear all the media go on and on about him ...ugh!  At least the end of this circus is in sight,  I hope.

Yep.   Taking up fully half the 'news coverage'  on my tv station for over the past hour.   Less interesting than  ...  well, the commercials for starters.   People must shop for insurance more often than hamburgers. 

• Like 1