Gibson Brands Forums

What's on your mind today? The Gibson edition

Pinch

Back to East Palestine ...    Seems everything living in the water has died. Fish, frogs, salamanders...  I'm assuming because of a blanket of  chemical smoke falling on the creeks and ponds.   Wonder, when it rains, if all the chemical smoke that settled on the land will runoff into the water table.  Some people there get their water from wells.    Sometimes, it seems  the approach on these things is to just wait until 'nature'  mitigates the effect.  Stall.  Deflect.  Somewhere in OH - one 'official' said  'the fish will come back'.    Yep.  

Not unless the fish are Hindu.

I've been hearing people there are getting bottled water instead of using their wells.(those that use wells ordinarily) and authorities  are making arrangements for adequate bottled water becomes available.  Small compensation for such a major gaffe. 

The next statewide elections should prove to be mighty interesting.

Whitefang 

2 hours ago, Murph said:

Fentanyl kills that many every year in the U.S.A. now.

Think about that.

Fentanyl is Now the Leading Cause of Death for American (globenewswire.com)

"Fentanyl is responsible for at least 70 percent of all drug deaths, reports the CDC, which found 37,208 fentanyl deaths in 2020 and 41,587 in 2021 – an increase of almost 12 percent."

It's insane. Hook 'em with opiods, stop the scrips, then kill them with fentanyl-laced heroin. 

What a sad state of affairs. 

3 hours ago, Murph said:

Fentanyl kills that many every year in the U.S.A. now.

Think about that.

Fentanyl is Now the Leading Cause of Death for American (globenewswire.com)

"Fentanyl is responsible for at least 70 percent of all drug deaths, reports the CDC, which found 37,208 fentanyl deaths in 2020 and 41,587 in 2021 – an increase of almost 12 percent."

We’ve had our share of deaths from fentanyl here in North Dakota, especially on the reservation by me.

5 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Wonder, when it rains, if all the chemical smoke that settled on the land will runoff into the water table.  Some people there get their water from wells. 

A heckuva lot of major citys downstream get their drinking water from the Mighty Ohio river.

Millions of people.

After 46 years, I decided to give that old Buck Ranger pocket knife a trip back to the factory for their Spa treatment.  If the blade can't be straightened and refurbished it'll get a new blade.

I probably won't see it until late Apri/May sometime, I'll post some before and after pics of the old girl.

• Like 1

I would think they are machine sanded / radiused then buffed on a buffing machine.

However the more expensive you get, the more likely it is that there may be some hand finishing.

I copied this bit of your post -

are rosewood fretboards' surfaces sanded? 

And Googled.  People are hand finishing and smoothing rough spots after purchase using very fine sandpaper. 

11 minutes ago, jdgm said:

I would think they are machine sanded / radiused then buffed on a buffing machine.

However the more expensive you get, the more likely it is that there may be some hand finishing.

I copied this bit of your post -

are rosewood fretboards' surfaces sanded? 

And Googled.  People are hand finishing and smoothing rough spots after purchase using very fine sandpaper. 

Thank you

8 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

There are various methods but yes it will be sanded. Not with a piece of sandpaper in hand but with a block, beam, or jig

Thanks guys, I do have a reason for asking, but crazy busy now, will return to the forum later

21 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Buck knives have a custom shop and they sent me an email on 12/26/2022 saying Treat Yourself which sounded like a good idea to me.

It showed up yesterday and as soon as I held it I thought this feels like a 345 so here you go:

bIg6ZHY.jpg

uja5z52.jpg

beautiful Buck knife ...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Or, as Dr.Seuss said,   "Oh, The Places You'll See..." 

Great book. We found a mint one and gave it to our daughter when she graduated college.

It's a shame he was cancelled/neutered.

Edited by Murph
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Murph said:

Great book. We found a mint one and gave it to our daughter when she graduated college.

It's a shame he was cancelled/neutered.

Dr. Seuss as a college graduation present?  [huh]

You sure she could handle it?  [wink]

Or did you think her English needed improvement.....  😜  Well, remember....

My wife said it helped her. \:D/

Whitefang

21 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Dr. Seuss as a college graduation present?  [huh]

You sure she could handle it?  [wink]

It was his last book. It was written for all of his readers and is a masterpiece.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! is a book written and illustrated by children's author Dr. Seuss. It was first published by Random House on January 22, 1990. It was his last book to be published during his lifetime. The book concerns the journey of life, its challenges and joys.

Though written in the style of previous books such as Green Eggs and Ham and The Cat in the Hat, Oh, the Places You’ll Go! has many specific characters, including a narrator and "the reader". A young boy, referred to simply as "you", initiates the action of the story; the presence of a main character helps readers to identify with the book. Unlike other Dr. Seuss books, it is written in the second person and uses the future tense.

It's perfect for a person beginning life, or another stage in life.

I actually feel sorry for anyone who HASN'T read it.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 7:28 AM, Whitefang said:

Where you been?

We've been breathing air with chemicals and other filth since the dawn of the industrial revolution.  And drinking water with all kinds of phosphates and dioxins too.  And now the chlorine used to clean that up isn't doing us much good either.  And it's not just the harm it's been doing to us, but to the planet as well.

But I'm with you on the case of East Palestine, Ohio.  The idiot who approved of shipping those chemicals on a railroad line that goes through or near any residential area should not only live out his life in prison, but inter his body in a prison mausoleum upon death.

Whitefang

What's interesting with all the things we currently do to planet, human life expectancy is longer than any other time humans have been walking the earth. For example if you go back 4000-5000 years humans average life span was 30-40 years, and I'm sure there were very few man made toxins spit into the atmosphere. 

I know we all want to complain about everything, but we all buy / use products that have harmful chemicals, eat foods we know aren't healthy for us and we still manage to live for 70 years on the average. So there's going to be a trade off for a life of comfort that contributes to a longer life span.

Ya train accidents are unfortunate and it's even more unfortunate people are affected by these types of accidents. Let's hope it all gets cleaned up. 

• Like 1