Gibson Brands Forums

NPD

merciful-evans

For the last few years, my preferred pick has been oversized V-Picks. Though at home I usually keep a small selection close to hand. Yes I'm pick obsessed.

But for the past 2 months, I have almost exclusively been using my Hawk pick. I got this about 8  years ago, and was underwhelmed at the time. Despite the claims for 'perfect tone', it has not. It also imparts an unwelcome chirp so I will palm mute more. It flows much better across the strings than any of these others though. Maybe my technique has altered a bit? 

So anyway I bought another. They are not cheap.. This green one is the same spec as the old blue one. they call it a Tonebird 5 / standard bevel / XXL (3mm) / Abalone Green. 

7r0H8YL.jpg

• Like 2

I wouldn't feel comfortable using that design of pick.  But we all gotta go with what works best for us.  

I know early on I had trouble working with those huge triangular tortoise shell picks.  Remember those?  

vsp3cw4f08uesv0eaa8s.jpg

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I wouldn't feel comfortable using that design of pick.  But we all gotta go with what works best for us.  

I know early on I had trouble working with those huge triangular tortoise shell picks.  Remember those?  

vsp3cw4f08uesv0eaa8s.jpg

Whitefang

I still have one of those.
It's an old Fender pick, Medium gauge.

🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Whitefang said:

vsp3cw4f08uesv0eaa8s.jpg

Whitefang

Real tortoise shell?!

Never used one. I could have done cos I used to have a tortoise, but no... he was too nice. 

I used the new pick last night for the first time. If I do stick with these, I'll be getting a bunch more to replace the V-Picks (in guitar cases). 

• Like 1

Great topic Title. I was 100% sure, when entering this debate, that it'll be about a new PEDAL Already had some pre-prepared statements... 😄

I have a Gravity, but not the kind on the photo. This is really interesting, because I have found out in the last few years, that every kind of pick sounds, feels and plays differently, and so much more on different guitars. One has to actually try them out in all scenarios in the never-ending quest for great sounds.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

I have a Gravity, but not the kind on the photo. This is really interesting, because I have found out in the last few years, that every kind of pick sounds, feels and plays differently, and so much more on different guitars. One has to actually try them out in all scenarios in the never-ending quest for great sounds.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Using Ultex Jazz IIIs at the moment with my semi.  Slightly stiffer feel and tone than the usual red Jazz IIIs and good with flatwounds.

I like my thick triangular V pick; it has very good flow across the strings but a raspy contact sound on the wound ones.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 10:35 AM, Whitefang said:

vsp3cw4f08uesv0eaa8s.jpg

Whitefang

My main pick from youth and most of my life. Fender Heavy 355.

My later years I find I need a little help gripping the pick.

My current favorite pick is an Apollo  casein 2.0mm thick with a Fender Mojo Grip

52703999975_a3bd3f833f_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 12:31 PM, Murph said:

Heck yea. It's a pick, it won't know if you're plugged in or not.

On acoustic, I  only use my fingers. So these would be for soloing on electric

Mostly they are described as being for rhythm. I rarely play rhythm. A couple are recommended for solo though.

I'll take another look. Might try a couple.

19 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Makes a great shape for a table by the way. 

0304231332-HDR.jpg

0304231334-HDR.jpg

Probably about $2000 new, worth at least $1100-1200 now, scored this for $250 and it's mine forever.  It's very high quality, including the real leather chairs and bench.  As Tom Petty said, "even the losers get lucky sometimes".  

That's very nice. never seen one like it!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Six weeks now and still not returned to the V Picks. I spent £hundreds on those. It doesn't matter though. Have to go along with what's working best. So yes, my picking has changed. I couldn't work with the Hawk pick originally. 

I've also brought two similar shaped stone picks out of retirement yesterday. I had three specially made but was disappointed with them at the time. I reshaped this one to suit my needs at the time. Now, I'm using the 2 I didn't reshape. They are Brazilian Agate 4mm thick. They are working a treat for me now. 

pyv0ftt.jpg

The V-Picks have a stay of execution. They work fine on most of my guitars, just not so well on those with higher string tension. 

The Hawks continue to work fine on all of them though. I am having to work hard at improving my palm muting though - to minimise that chirp.