Gibson Brands Forums

Does Acoustic String Gauge Make a Difference?

Dave F

Interesting!  I thought they’d favor the heavier strings over the lites  and extra lites.  Aside from a little more bass on the heavier strings, they favored the lites and extra lites.  …..Of course, there’s no right or wrong to it.  Depends on the sound and playability you like…..Thanks for sharing.

I am pickier about the gauge on the upper end and always keep some heaver gauge B and high E strings on hand. As my hands age, I have had a tendency to go with lighter gauge strings than I used to.  But anything under a 12 and 16 gauge on the high end feel like they have too much give and just sound thin.  

I was drinking in a biker bar back in the early 80's in Louisiana.

One guy was talking a a woman being a "good looking woman".

Another old guy took offense with his comment saying something to the effect of

"I've never seen a bad looking woman. Women are like bacon. Even BAD bacon is still bacon."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jedzep said:

I was a little surprised at how every iteration sounded the same, more or less, especially since the guitar is a J, which I wouldn't think the lights would stimulate.

I'm surprised you miss the difference. It's like the same pair of shoes in 3 sizes.

Are you in the cans ? . . . 

13 hours ago, Murph said:

I was drinking in a biker bar back in the early 80's in Louisiana.

One guy was talking a a woman being a "good looking woman".

Another old guy took offense with his comment saying something to the effect of

"I've never seen a bad looking woman. Women are like bacon. Even BAD bacon is still bacon."

LOLOLOLOL!  THAT IS GO0D!

I used to easily recognize the string guage differences in sound between lights and extra lights when playing and listening. And I preferred lights.  Now, somehow that doesn’t hold true.  The difference seems so minor it’s not noticeable.  It’s not my ears.  Or, calllouses.  .  I string suspect that manufacturers have improved extra lights over the years and certainly more recently.  I know Martin switch the material of at least their first and second strings of XP’s now known as Authentics.  80/20 Bronze first and second strings used to have a gold tint.  Now they are silver colored.  It was always the first and second strings that were unacceptable on Extra Lights.  Now they seem fine.  Improved.  Decent sounding and decent to play stuff on.  Plus, ExtraL Lights used to not stay in tune.  Now they do.  I now prefer Extra Lights somehow.  Go figure.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

I started years ago on 13’s & have graduated over time to each… 12’s, 11’s & 10’s over the years.. I’ve been using 11’s for quite awhile.. I think they have a sweet spot for Rhythm strumming with a Pick & Finger Picking.. I like & play both techniques..

I might try 10’s again… 

Read somewhere the idea that too heavy gauge strings put too much tension on the top and actually compressed the vibrations. I’m not smart enough to know myself but that does seem to make sense. If that is true, wonder how this would compare between some of the guitars from say the 70’s which were heavier braced versus some of the more modern Gibson which are lighter braced. Could heavier gauge strings work for one but not the other.

On 2/27/2023 at 4:21 PM, J185cat said:

Read somewhere the idea that too heavy gauge strings put too much tension on the top and actually compressed the vibrations. I’m not smart enough to know myself but that does seem to make sense. If that is true, wonder how this would compare between some of the guitars from say the 70’s which were heavier braced versus some of the more modern Gibson which are lighter braced. Could heavier gauge strings work for one but not the other.

Well, , , never heard that before, but perhaps. This is the kind questions where ones individual preferences really count.

In other words =  This is the territory where YOU get tested by the material - not the opposite.

Exciting, isn't it. . 

Yes. The heavier they are the more they hurt your finger's.. LOL.. 

Kidding.. It’s so subjective.. Personally, I don’t think Heavier Gauge sound any better than lighter Gauge.. It’s more about what Strings sound best on your Guitar.. Not necessarily their Gauge…

Edited by Larsongs

I’ve never found a gauge that work better for me than 12s. I use 13s on my SJ200 but tune down to Eb, but 13s at concert pitch just feel like way too much. Tension goes through the roof (the actual figures for the additional tension of 13s Vs 12s are surprising) and playability goes through the floor. When I’m playing long sets I need something a bit more pliable. 

I also find that sustain is shorter with 13s and some treble overtones are lost. That gossamer delicacy that a great guitar can have when played softly is often muted by 13s. A luthier friend of mine said he felt 13s “choked” some guitars and the extra tension that they added to the top reduced the dynamic range of the instrument. 

General wisdom is that Martins sound better with 13s and are built for them, but personally I find my D18GE is significantly happier with 12s. Perhaps it’s just what I’m used to.

I’ve used 11s and 12s on my Dove and both sound great. In fact I’ve just finished an album upon which the only acoustic guitar is my Dove strung with 11s that had been on it for a couple of months. That slightly weary, light steel really hit a sweet spot that just had to be captured.