Gibson Brands Forums

'50 and '60 Standard Prices up Again??????

mrichard27

On 3/2/2023 at 1:36 AM, mrichard27 said:

Weren't these '50 and '60 Les Paul Standards $2,499 a like a month ago??  Now they are $2,799???     Wow wee...   How long until $3,000??  End of the year?

In Italy  from the 1th of April  the will go up by 13% ................well  it looks like we will kiss them goodbye ,  second hand  market  has plenty of beautiful Gibson's  that people want to get rid of  and  the  second hand market of the custom shop is going through the roof 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gibson prices are always a ripoff. Buy used so you won’t have to take a bath once you decide to get rid of your guitar. It’s an abysmal market today regarding guitars - but you know, ymmv. I own 13 guitars and 11 are Gibsons - mostly used and bought years ago. No intention of letting them go, but when I do I’m going to gouge the price like everyone apparently likes to do in todays used market. 

7 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Gibson prices are always a ripoff. Buy used so you won’t have to take a bath once you decide to get rid of your guitar. It’s an abysmal market today regarding guitars - but you know, ymmv. I own 13 guitars and 11 are Gibsons - mostly used and bought years ago. No intention of letting them go, but when I do I’m going to gouge the price like everyone apparently likes to do in todays used market. 

so just throwing this out there,,  

A new Standard 60s: $2,900

A new Fender Stratocaster Luxe: $2,600

45 minutes ago, kidblast said:

so just throwing this out there,,  

A new Standard 60s: $2,900

A new Fender Stratocaster Luxe: $2,600

Both to me seem high priced especially the Fender. I’m just ranting. A lot increasing across the board… I paid $80 for Science Diet bag for my dog that used to cost $50 a year ago. It’s just bad out there today. So much stuff inflated price tag, so in all fairness to these guitar makers, they are just following suit. It sucks when the increases aren’t for luxury items like guitars but rather for homes and cars. Average people finance for an inflated price tag and inflated rate. 

19 minutes ago, marco mancini said:

in italy  they still to have kept the old price 

https://www.ginomusica.it/it/gibson-les-paul-standard-60s-bb-p-6971.html

it's possible that they are doing the more honorable thing and keeping the prices on NOS at the rate that they bought at, and not a reflection of the current increase

2 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Both to me seem high priced especially the Fender. I’m just ranting. A lot increasing across the board… I paid $80 for Science Diet bag for my dog that used to cost $50 a year ago. It’s just bad out there today. So much stuff inflated price tag, so in all fairness to these guitar makers, they are just following suit. It sucks when the increases aren’t for luxury items like guitars but rather for homes and cars. Average people finance for an inflated price tag and inflated rate. 

we all know it's all what people will pay Chris   

$10,000 for a Murphy labs les paul is a pretty good extreem example.  Yet, they're selling em.

OTOH, I'm not sure  I could find a reason to drop $2,600 on a Stratocaster.  just in principle alone. Are they nice? yes, I just set one up this past weekend for my son.

And with just a wink south of $3k for a les paul?  yes, it's a lot of money. 

But! Out of line with going prices for similar caliber of instruments from other builders? 

I'm not seeing that.

Everything is crazy these days, and it's from Eggs to Guitars.  

The stigma of it all when it comes to what Gibson charges vs. everyone else,   the court of public opinion has me amused.

@kidblast I said my piece here about prices and that’s all I care to go on about. I am living through this American dream like the rest of us are. There’s been a lot of money over the years pumped into the system and the effects of those driving the deficit spending and whatever else is causing the dollar to buy less is beyond my control. Don’t know about anyone else, but I’ll pass on buying a guitar at these prices. Even used is stupid today. Like you said, eggs to guitars - all stupid. Someone once told me I was crazy when you’d start paying over a dollar for a candy bar… they said not for a stupid piece of chocolate. Haha, it even costs a lot these days to buy crap that is literally crap for your body. Don’t get me wrong I think LPs and Strats are great, just that these days, my financial gears aren’t turning for an NGD to share here… just haven’t run into ANYTHING I can conceivably want to spend what you have to today for stuff that isn’t really a need for. I have 11 Gibsons and I think I had enough for a lifetime. Glad I got them the time I did… if I had to sell, I’d make back at least what I spent then - and probably some too… as they say when in Rome…

50 minutes ago, kidblast said:

it's possible that they are doing the more honorable thing and keeping the prices on NOS at the rate that they bought at, and not a reflection of the current increase

we all know it's all what people will pay Chris   

$10,000 for a Murphy labs les paul is a pretty good extreem example.  Yet, they're selling em.

OTOH, I'm not sure  I could find a reason to drop $2,600 on a Stratocaster.  just in principle alone. Are they nice? yes, I just set one up this past weekend for my son.

And with just a wink south of $3k for a les paul?  yes, it's a lot of money. 

But! Out of line with going prices for similar caliber of instruments from other builders? 

I'm not seeing that.

Everything is crazy these days, and it's from Eggs to Guitars.  

The stigma of it all when it comes to what Gibson charges vs. everyone else,   the court of public opinion has me amused.

Well i fear that  Murphy lab Gibson guitars are becoming like  swiss wrist  watches  "emotional things" rather than  instrument  to be played  and kept , i see the second hand market in Italy  of Murphy Lab ,guitars  nearly  never touched  and already on the market , if the market of gibson custom shop is "clogged" full of never played guitars  what  is the point in ordering a new Murphy lab  M2M  when they do not give  the exact price , the exact  day they  deliver the guitar to the dealer and  with the risk of paying a simple les paul custom vos  10.000 bucks when you have a market full of non played guitars  at 3500/4000 ? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 1:36 AM, mrichard27 said:

Weren't these '50 and '60 Les Paul Standards $2,499 a like a month ago??  Now they are $2,799???     Wow wee...   How long until $3,000??  End of the year?

Only took a couple months. My guess is $3400 by the end of the year. 

Edited by Pinch

People keep paying for crap at these high prices, why wouldn’t these companies want to keep selling whatever crap we don’t need where they are? Seems like all companies are looking for hikes to find out where the real demand lies. Why cars, houses, everything costs what it does. Pure greed in a diseased society. Whatever “shortages” - or whatever - goes away; prices aren’t coming back down… get used to it

Wow......  Just, wow.....   What could possibly justify a 20% price increase in 5 months??   Did mahogany trees go on the endangered list or something???    $2,500 at the beginning of 2023, increase to $2,800 in March 2023, and now $3,000 in May of 2023....    Guys...  In the near future I think the LP standards are going to be $6,500 and the Custom Shop LPs are gonna be $15,000 to $20,000....    This is out of control.....  

A $500 increase in 4 years is insane! And what do you get now that you didn't 4 years ago? When I got mine, the nut was so badly cut I thought I had gotten a factory second. And, they "Plek" them but they never finish the fret job. The Plek machine leaves the frets totally unpolished - you can still see the tooling marks on them! I mean, I love my Lester but I had to finish off the build once I got it in my hands from Sweetwater!