Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone (but it's really a Gibson)

egoidealmusic

Agreed, Missouri--I like it a lot too.  Crazy, though, that a double pickguard and a known name add a full grand to the price.  Maybe there are some other differences I haven't noticed yet (admittedly I haven't looked hard), so who knows.  But the look of the double pickguard actually makes that guitar far more attractive.  Not 1k more, but just saying.

Here's a more realistic demo, and it sounds fantastic.

It's a show - but it's beauty. Will need to break in and probably sound brillant with between 8 and 12 years. A bit of patina then wow !

Doesn't sound like a Dove at all by the way. . . 

Edited by E-minor7

2 hours ago, duluthdan said:

And in open tuning. Demos ought to be done in the missionary position. Just my opinion. 

Point taken - however I never play there, , , ever. . 

So it could be said my demos are sound on a guitar not sound of a guitar, , , if that makes any sense. . 

But you are 'right'. 

Isn’t he the guy responsible for making every Song in Country Music Sound the same today? IMO he doesn’t warrant a $5000 Artist Guitar.. Not even if it was a Gibson..

Maybe a $399.00 Chinese Epi… Like they did with Paul Mc Cartneys Epi Texan… Who is some worthy of a Made in USA Epiphone Artist Guitar.. Even then not sure I’d pony up $5000.00 for one.. 

My apologies for the rant….

Just last year I passed on a 1962 Epi Frontier somebody I knew offered to sell me.   But I did own a NYC- built Triumph Regent archtop and FT79 flattop for a lot of years

My wife's 1960 J200 though came to us with a second pickguard.  After about a decade I had it removed.  Neither of us nor the luthier who did the work could hear any noticeable difference in sound, volume or response.  Maybe if we had dog hearing it would have been a different story.

And sorry but much of what is passed off as C&W sounds to me like nothing more than bad 1970s southern rock.

Edited by zombywoof

I used to like Country music but not so much since every Song sounds exactlly like 1000 other Songs.. Male Singers all sound alike as do the Female Singers..  I found out why watching a recent Country Music Awards show.. They're all written by Chris Stapleton.. Country has lost it for me...

As for the Chris Stapleton Guitar at $5000.00 .... With 20% discount $4000.00

I think I'd rather have this Epi Slash J-45 for $799.00!!! With 20% discount $640.00 with Hard Case..

4 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Just last year I passed on a 1962 Epi Frontier somebody I knew offered to sell me.   But I did own a NYC- built Triumph Regent archtop and FT79 flattop for a lot of years

My wife's 1960 J200 though came to us with a second pickguard.  After about a decade I had it removed.  Neither of us nor the luthier who did the work could hear any noticeable difference in sound, volume or response.  Maybe if we had dog hearing it would have been a different story.

And sorry but much of what is passed off as C&W sounds to me like nothing more than bad 1970s southern rock.

I've always liked the look of a double pickguard. I had a 1990 J180 that I liked the look but not the sound. I attributed to the thinner body and some of the building practices going on at Gibson at that time. If I run across a good deal on a J200 Everly with the white pick guard, I'll go for it.

bpvczcFzvqnHp7NUkbbowY-1200-80.jpg.webp

19 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

It's a show - but it's beauty. Will need to break in and probably sound brillant with between 8 and 12 years. A bit of patina then wow !

Doesn't sound like a Dove at all by the way. . . 

So,  how does it compare to the Firebird?

2 hours ago, j45nick said:

So,  how does it compare to the Firebird?

Absolutely nothing in common.

The F-bird is open lush generous huge and almost too much (I have 11's on right now).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             The beauty above is tighter, tinnier, not as 'deep-roomy' - a bit inhibited like a car that never drove.                                                                                                                                                                                             

Both great spades though. (my Fb is 13 years old and now a broken in flier)

I think this clip is better - Frontier sounds as it should, , , and will only improve. Could perform some stunning strumming tasks already. 

Polecastro goes F-bird (there has been more than 40 made)

Edited by E-minor7
  • Like 2

Chris Stapleton gave his Review…. But…. He never plays the Guitar???

The Guy playing some Cowboy Chords a couple Posts up isn’t a very impressive Demo of a $5000 Guitar… Am I missing something? I’m not finding any other You Tubes of someone seriously playing one of these??? Other than the Girl posted above also doing way more talking than playing.. The Guitar sounds kinda muddy? I want to like this Guitar.. 

Here’s a YouTube of the Epiphone USA Frontier which if I think is the same Spec Guitar just not as adorned.. Even this Video is all talk for the first 9 minutes! Skip that as it’s mostly stuff we already know about Epiphone’s history.. Then you get a couple minutes of playing by the 2 hosts.. It gives you a little better idea how it really sounds.. 

Edited by Larsongs

19 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Absolutely nothing in common.

The F-bird is open lush generous huge and almost too much (I have 11's on right now).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             The beauty above is tighter, tinnier, not as 'deep-roomy' - a bit inhibited like a car that never drove.                                                                                                                                                                                             

Both great spades though. (my Fb is 13 years old and now a broken in flier)

I think this clip is better - Frontier sounds as it should, , , and will only improve. Could perform some stunning strumming tasks already. 

Polecastro goes F-bird (there has been more than 40 made)

Tony P knows how to make the firebird fly, for sure. What a big voice! Incredible note separation.

I listed to that years ago, but this time with a much more open mind.

4 hours ago, Dave F said:

He explains it in the video. The one he’s holding he has been using on stage for one and a half years and is showing wear around the bridge. 

If I’m looking at Guitars on YouTube I don’t have the patience to sit & listen to Guys talking 15 minutes about pretty much nothing of importance.. I fast forward to the Guitar.. There are so many YouTubes about Guitars that go on & on & on.. Then you never even get to hear the Guitar!!! They wasted my time! The NGD Box openings are the F’n worst!!!

Nothing against Chris but…… Don't bore us get to the Chorus.. These kinds of YouTubes should be like a Song.. Good beat, easy to dance to. Say & Play it all in 3 minutes…