Gibson Brands Forums

Suggestions on Les Paul purchase

fumblefingers

I own a 2014 Gibson J-45 Custom that I purchased new and love, and have always wanted a Les Paul. I am looking at used guitars. I am hoping people here can perhaps offer some suggestions on what to look for, and the subtle differences I may not immediately notice. I'd like to buy something fairly new, say from 2016-2021. First off, are there any glaring problems with any of these years? Further, a lot of the guitars say "make offer," and I'm not sure what a reasonable offer would be. I don't want to insult somebody, even if it is a business.

For instance, there's a 2016 Limited Edition Les Paul Standard which had been for sale a while and it is asking $2,195 or make an offer. It's got some cosmetic blemishes like minor nicks and scratches. This is for sale locally. I prefer something I can buy in person and pay cash after inspecting it, rather than go through Reverb and shipping it without ever laying eyes upon it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: To give you an idea of how I'm not really good at noticing details initially - when I purchased my J-45, I didn't even see that there were lacquer runs on the back, which should have been repaired before it left the factory. I've just accepted it now, but I would have sent it back initially. This may affect the value of it should I ever want to sell it.

Edited by fumblefingers

There are lots of LPs..  But in basic terms..

The Standard is their flagship model and used to change quite dramatically each year..  Since 2018 they have kept the line up pretty much the same..  (was it 2018? When did the new boss come in?) ...

Anyway..  These days they have the Standard 60s and 50s which generally refers to the neck profile.. 60s being slimmer.

In 2015 Gibson went a bit crazy and changed the whole line up quite drastically. The guitars came with auto tuners, wide necks and metal nuts with a zero fret.. That didnt go down very well so after a short while (in 2016) they came back with the Traditional line or T models they were called or the Modern series which had the auto tuners and a sculpted neck heal and other stuff to do with the electronics...

Then they stopped doing the auto tuners but we are still left with the Modern and the Original series. Which is what it sounds like.

Then theres the LP Classic which is at a lower price point than the Standard as is the LP Traditional.  The Classic has a slim tapered neck and is a nod to the 60s while the Traditional have the fatter 50s necks and some years they came non weight relieved. 

After that you have the LP Studios (also known as Faded and Tribute) which are full on LPs built by the same people who build the above guitars using the same woods and electronics. But they are cheaper as they have no binding and a very thin finish compared to the Standards and the like. So if you dont care about the ultra shiny finish they are actually a really good choice.

So, theres some info off the top of my head for you... Hope that helps a bit.

I think the biggest thing about all this is you must try them first. LPs can be a bit odd in that way. Some people have to really search to find that "one" as they all feel and play slightly different due to the fact they are all hand finished so the exact neck angle and the neck radius and sized are all slightly different. It turns out those small differences make quite a big difference. But thats all just down to personal taste.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JosephAlbert said:

I'll add that the Classic also has modern electronics - a push/pull coil split and a push/pull bypass (which bypasses all controls and sends output direct to the jack). I never use them but they're there if you want them.

Depends on which year you are talking. I have one from 2002 which has no fancy electronics...

50s or 60s Standard, 2019-now. I like no weight relief. And now, or yesterday, is probably the time, the prices seem to go up. I don't think you'll be able to get a Standard for under 3K next year.

As usual, I agree with what Rabs said. 

Appreciate the replies. I am always nervous about these sorts of purchases. I'm just a guitar lover, not an expert by any means. As it is, when I purchased my J-45 I couldn't decide what to buy. I just "ended up with that one" sort of thing. It becomes a "paralysis by analysis" situation since there are so many guitars for sale out there. It's hard enough to decide upon a color and finish, let alone all of the different years, components and such.

Kind of related is the fact that I have a motorcycle collection I am going to be getting rid of. I am getting older and don't ride as much anymore. I kind of want to just buy some guitars with the money I get from them all. I am not a very good player, but I have noticed that I enjoy practicing more when I really like the guitar. After the Les Paul, I kind of want either a Hummingbird or an SJ to go with my J-45. I play the acoustic a lot more than the electric.

Rabs has covered most of the differences.  If you include Epiphone, Gibson has a guitar for practically every budget - depends on what you’re willing to spend. Not sure where you are, but most large stores (including online retailers) have a return period.  Take a guitar home, determine if you like it and if not, send it back. Some retailers, like Wildwood or Sweetwater post pics and weight of the actual guitar you’d be buying.  You should figure out what you like before buying anything.  Big necks, thin necks, hotter pickups, more vintage sounding pickups, finish colors, fret sizes, etc.  Neck profiles and fret sizes are a very personal thing.

• Like 1

Buying used "Sight SEEN" is really THE best way, but just check all the usual things..

Get under that truss rod cover and make sure you see a 5/16 hex bolt

While you're at it, if you have the Truss Rod Wrench, a slight light 1/4 turn and back to make sure it's not frozen would NOT be a horrible idea.

If you can plug it in, check all is working and see how noisy the volume/tone pots are, check the same on the toggle switch 

Not usually a show stopper, but at minimum, you'll want to hit those w/Dexoit cleaner.

Check fret wear, 2016, should not be "too" bad, but I'd expect some, depending on the hours of use it's seen.

Take a look at the back of the neck, look for any signs of repairs, or anything you don't expect to see at the neck / body pocket.

The rest is down to cosmetics and a used guitar, is going to show use. 

I get nutty when people looking at used guitars complain because they see pick scratches on the pick guard or a ding here and there.  That stuff comes with when buying a used instrument.  

On 3/28/2023 at 7:57 PM, Ceptorman said:

Have you ever considered an Epiphone? Their current guitars are wonderful, and they have excellent reviews. Current Gibsons....meh. 

They are good guitars, yes - and I know it's all conjecture, personal opinion, and mostly just so much BS

BUT

I've never played any Epiphone Les Paul (and I've played many) that my 2 USA Standard LPs haven't destroyed.

There...

I said it..

and now, I'll show myself out

On 3/26/2023 at 9:47 PM, fumblefingers said:

I own a 2014 Gibson J-45 Custom that I purchased new and love, and have always wanted a Les Paul. I am looking at used guitars. I am hoping people here can perhaps offer some suggestions on what to look for, and the subtle differences I may not immediately notice. I'd like to buy something fairly new, say from 2016-2021. First off, are there any glaring problems with any of these years? Further, a lot of the guitars say "make offer," and I'm not sure what a reasonable offer would be. I don't want to insult somebody, even if it is a business.

For instance, there's a 2016 Limited Edition Les Paul Standard which had been for sale a while and it is asking $2,195 or make an offer. It's got some cosmetic blemishes like minor nicks and scratches. This is for sale locally. I prefer something I can buy in person and pay cash after inspecting it, rather than go through Reverb and shipping it without ever laying eyes upon it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: To give you an idea of how I'm not really good at noticing details initially - when I purchased my J-45, I didn't even see that there were lacquer runs on the back, which should have been repaired before it left the factory. I've just accepted it now, but I would have sent it back initially. This may affect the value of it should I ever want to sell it.

It wouldn't hurt to go see it. See if you like it. Maybe even tell the seller that you are an acoustic player, and just testing the water for a LP. That way he might understand if you postpone your decision to buy. 

I would ask him to show you the truss rod, and demonstrate its use. At least that would confirm that its a genuine Gibson and that it works properly. It should look like this:

tFOnJEc.jpg

Good luck

BTW forum members. I checked out the specs for 2016 Standards and found 3 of them had different pickups. Burstbuckers, 57 Classics and some called 'QC Pros' which I had not heard of. Anybody here know QC Pros? They use alnico 5s.

3 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Maybe QC is quick connect. They were messing around with those molex connectors for a while

Could be, but it just seems odd. They are only described as 'QC Treble Pro' and  'QC Rhythm Pro'. The other Standards for that year ID the pickups in the usual way.

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

It wouldn't hurt to go see it. See if you like it. Maybe even tell the seller that you are an acoustic player, and just testing the water for a LP. That way he might understand if you postpone your decision to buy. 

I would ask him to show you the truss rod, and demonstrate its use. At least that would confirm that its a genuine Gibson and that it works properly. It should look like this:

tFOnJEc.jpg

Good luck

BTW forum members. I checked out the specs for 2016 Standards and found 3 of them had different pickups. Burstbuckers, 57 Classics and some called 'QC Pros' which I had not heard of. Anybody here know QC Pros? They use alnico 5s.

Burstbuckers can be anything. There are BB 1, 2, 3, 61s, Pros... 

Alnico V and Pro sounds like quick-connect... Burstbucker Pros? 

QC is quick connect, I agree.

Fumblefingers, definitely try everything you can get your hands on.
Inspect carefully.
Play leisurely, and don't bring along an impatient boat anchor (uh, wife or girlfriend) when you go to inspect and try out any given guitar.

After playing and holding a few Les Pauls, one of them will SING to you.
That'll be the one.

🙂

• Like 1