Gibson Brands Forums

Hendrix

Rocky4

What if Hendrix had not died? What if he shifted to jazz in the mid 70s and was playing with Patricia Barber today? What would your opinion of him be then? I think this is interesting because of the Clapton bashing you see here so often. People see the VH1 ish Clapton and not the fiery guitarist from the 60s

He would have cleaned up, put out a very inspirational album full of references to freedom and happiness, got all set for a world tour, and then after Jamming with Eric Clapton at a Ski Resort he'd be tragically killed in a Helicopter Crash (I'd say accident, but that helicopter pilot had no business flying).

He would have cleaned up' date=' put out a very inspirational album full of references to freedom and happiness, got all set for a world tour, and then after Jamming with Eric Clapton at a Ski Resort he'd be tragically killed in a Helicopter Crash (I'd say accident, but that helicopter pilot had no business flying).[/quote']

And the helicopter would have been, in actual fact, Clapton's helicopter which had been given over to H so thet he could get back to his wife sooner.....

Hed be in the same league as Clapton.....a great guitar player but his best years would be behind him.

He only attained that " legend" status because he died at the top of his game.

Don't know about that... Look at Page he is a living legend...

It is what it is... He's just another dead junky guitarist, albeit a genius.

If he did get himself clean, we would still be talking about how great he is.

His guitar was an extension of his being. His soul. Not many guitarists can manage those types of performances on a consistent basis.

I can think of few: Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton, and probably Duane Almann. I'm sure there are others in other genres but hey, we're talking electric rock and blues here.

And regarding Stevie and Jimi, Eric said of Stevie's last performance, that he's only seen one other person play with as much passion and soul and that was Jimi.

Don't know about that... Look at Page he is a living legend...

Agreed, but what has he done thats memorable in the past 25 years.....besides re-doing Zep tunes.

Artists are only given so many rabbits to pull out of the magical hat...after a while the hat dries up.

It happens to them all. McCartney included.....They have their run and its over.

Artists are only given so many rabbits to pull out of the magical hat...after a while the hat dries up.

It happens to them all. They have their run and its over.

In general you are right on the money but;

Ludwig van Beethoven.

Agreed' date=' but what has he done thats memorable in the past 25 years.....besides re-doing Zep tunes.

It happens to them all. McCartney included.....They have their run and its over.[/quote']

Almost agreed except I loved his solos album Outrider (?) from around 1988. It was absolutely wonderful!

By the way re Hendrix-I was also fascinated to read he wanted to collaborate with Miles Davis too.

Matt

I think the music industry has gone to pot these days. Look at the line up at the most recent and future Rock festivals what a joke... RnB...Oh please... That combined with it being virtually impossible to get any tickets to any large acts only to see the tickets on ebay 2 mins later at 4 times the price....

If Hendrix was still around he'd still be in the grove but you would never be able to get a ticket to see him...

Flight959

What if Hendrix had not died? What if he shifted to jazz in the mid 70s and was playing with Patricia Barber today? What would your opinion of him be then? I think this is interesting because of the Clapton bashing you see here so often. People see the VH1 ish Clapton and not the fiery guitarist from the 60s

Clapton was better in the 60's... i saw him about two years ago live @ the Comcast Centre.

His technique and speed would have improved and then a bunch of guys on a guitar forum would talk about how he has no feeling in his playing.

I remember Clapton saying he cant play as well as he did in the 60's....or at least not in the same groove.

I suppose its true what they say....You cant go home again.

That's what was so amazing about him. He'd go off and and play with some jazz folks, master that, and then integrate it into his playing. He was just an incredible fusion of so many different genres. I have a feeling no matter what he did, be it acid rock, blues, jazz, soul, gospel, or funk (and he did all of those and more), he would do it on a level of artistry and skill that bordered on magic.

Hed be in the same league as Clapton.....a great guitar player but his best years would be behind him.

He only attained that " legend" status because he died at the top of his game.

I disagree with that. I'm not a HUGE Hendrix fan, but I believe he transformed guitar playing as we know it.

He would have cleaned up' date=' put out a very inspirational album full of references to freedom and happiness, got all set for a world tour, and then after Jamming with Eric Clapton at a Ski Resort he'd be tragically killed in a Helicopter Crash (I'd say accident, but that helicopter pilot had no business flying).[/quote']

I was at Alpine Valley the night SRV ws killed, walked right past the 4 helicopters on my way out of the back of the venue. It was so foggy you could barely see more than about 20 feet. I drove home that night, about 60 miles, it was the worst fog I've ever seen.

But you are right, none of those choppers should have ever left the ground that night. None of them!!

I think about this a lot. I saw him live and never was there a player who was so spiritually connected to his guitar. I'm sure he would have taken his music to incredible heights. It wasn't his speed or technique, it was that special cosmic connection that he had with his guitar and music.

Archived