Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help With this Gibson Label

cannonball

I could use some help verifying this label. Its on a acoustic guitar with Gibson on the headstck. Does not have the scalloped headstock. Looks flat or straight like a Martin. Pretty wierd. I know zen-on is a Japanese company but would they make a guitar and label it Gibson??

342386264_785315342929138_1457474399123658215_n.jpg

Gobson Zen-on.jpg

What I found from digging around the inter-webs:

Zen-On (全音, meaning perfect or complete sound) was a little known Japanese guitar manufacturer located in Suwa, Japan.
They also made ukuleles and bass guitars, but mostly 'classical' six string guitars.

Around mid 60's Zen-On merged with Hayashi Gakki, another prominent instrument maker in Japan at the time.

Zen On made guitars to meet demand at all levels, beginners to advance concert models.
The Tarrega brand was a mid range guitar.
Gibsun was a slightly more posh instrument, apparently.
High concert level guitars were said to be signed by the luthier.

Zen On also built and distributed Morales branded guitars, as well as Abe and Decca.

Until Godzilla attacked the mainland and pulled the spitting high tension wires down.

🤨

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/3/2023 at 4:55 PM, sparquelito said:

Zen-On (全音, meaning perfect or complete sound) was a little known Japanese guitar manufacturer located in Suwa, Japan.
They also made ukuleles and bass guitars, but mostly 'classical' six string guitars.

Around mid 60's Zen-On merged with Hayashi Gakki, another prominent instrument maker in Japan at the time.

Zen On made guitars to meet demand at all levels, beginners to advance concert models.

Zen On also built and distributed Morales branded guitars, as well as Abe and Decca.

Until Godzilla attacked the mainland and pulled the spitting high tension wires down.

🤨

Zenon is my middle name though I've never made a guitar in my life. I wrecked a couple though. 

On 5/3/2023 at 11:55 AM, sparquelito said:

🤨

another excellent bit of detective work ...

• Like 1