Gibson Brands Forums

Fatty's on planes.

Homz

Actually, what they should do is construct new seats that at first glance for average sized people will fit normally, but if an oversized person sits down it converts to a wider seat, so that large person is more comfortable, BUT, they have to buy 2 seats, or pay more for their oversized seat.

I think sliptrip is right.

Anyway I don't know if it's the same over there but down here a couple of months ago all local airlines started increasing seat numbers which translates into less room for each pasenger. I have to fly 6-10 times a month and it has become very unconfortable as I'm a little tall (way taller than most around here, and even for them those seats are unconfortable).

What airlines should do is start offering and giving a good service, not the junk they sell.

Are you trying to have a real discusion or just be goofy? It's a good question, but the choices are mostly extreme, offending or ridiculous.

There is a good point that when someone is so large they spill into the other seat, that person should pay for two seats.

But it's a lot easier to say in theory what should be done, than it is to be the actual human being who works for the airline and has to deal with this situation. It can get very ugly. Unless you are totally callous and have no feelings, it is very uncomfortable to deal with. Almost as uncomfortable as it is being the large person or the normal sized person who has to be sqeezed next to them!

Now days it's next to impossible for an airline to make a profit, so they need to squeeze as many seats into an aircraft as possible and fill every one of those seats. They don't buy multi million $ planes, pay pilots, crew, mechanics, gate/ticket agents, ect and then spend thousands of $ just to put fuel in the plane, only to fly an empty aircraft around.

Another thing: why is it that overweight people are about the only group that society doesn't care about offending? Buddylight was run out of here for good reason, but it's fine to use terms like fatty and imply that they all smell etc. I know some people are gluttons and lazy but not everyone who's overweight can help it. You know what they say about walking in another persons shoes.

this is a hard question that keeps coming up what is normal size in modern mans new metric. In my opinion If you fit in a standard seat and the seatbelt work than no. if you need to have more than one seat or need one of the seat belt extensions than nope they should pay more. and be required to buy to seats same for other events like concerts or games etc also. I'm 6'4" and weigh 235 but I have a 36 inch waist so my butt fits the seat just fine. On a flight a few weeks ago though a woman that was probably 5'4" and basically round. She could not fit in a regular single seat no matter what. She was raising yell when she saw the wife and I were upgraded to first class for being frequent flyers. two other businessman were also upgraded for the same reason we were and she was demanding a upgrade for medical reasons based on the limits of the planes seats and not able to buckle a belt and saying she felt unsafe unless she was in first class based on the seat structure and fit. the airline handled it very well though and told her she would not be upgrade based on her size and that only two belt extensions were on each plane and that if they could not find a third she would be asked to leave the plane. or she could pay 1100 to get a seat upgrade to first class but it would not be done for her weight alone. they finally found her a belt extension so she set straddling two seat webbed in like a VW bug *****ing the whole way about everything including that food was not available to coach passengers etc. etc.

she was 5'2" and weighed 418 pounds

Another thing: why is it that overweight people are about the only group that society doesn't care about offending? Buddylight was run out of here for good reason' date=' but it's fine to use terms like fatty and imply that they all smell etc. I know some people are gluttons and lazy but not everyone who's overweight can help it. You know what they say about walking in another persons shoes. [/quote']

I agree... that's why I voted #7 I don't care if they are fat, slim, short or tall, if they behave and are respectful of other people's space then everything should be alright.

this is a hard question that keeps coming up what is normal size in modern mans new metric. In my opinion If you fit in a standard seat and the seatbelt work than no. if you need to have more than one seat or need one of the seat belt extensions than nope they should pay more. and be required to buy to seats same for other events like concerts or games etc also. I'm 6'4" and weigh 235 but I have a 36 inch waist so my butt fits the seat just fine. On a flight a few weeks ago though a woman that was probably 5'4" and basically round. She could not fit in a regular single seat no matter what. She was raising yell when she saw the wife and I were upgraded to first class for being frequent flyers. two other businessman were also upgraded for the same reason we were and she was demanding a upgrade for medical reasons based on the limits of the planes seats and not able to buckle a belt and saying she felt unsafe unless she was in first class based on the seat structure and fit. the airline handled it very well though and told her she would not be upgrade based on her size and that only two belt extensions were on each plane and that if they could not find a third she would be asked to leave the plane. or she could pay 1100 to get a seat upgrade to first class but it would not be done for her weight alone. they finally found her a belt extension so she set straddling two seat webbed in like a VW bug *****ing the whole way about everything including that food was not available to coach passengers etc. etc.

she was 5'2" and weighed 418 pounds

I had to deal with something like that years ago. A large woman complaining loudly that she couldn't fit in the seat and wanted an upgrade to FC just because. Luckily, I knew the man seated next to her was on a full fared coach ticket, so I upgraded him and left the seat next to her open. There was no way I would ruin the other FC passengers flight by moving this obnoxious person up there with them!

I would just like to make a couple of comments here. First of all, Homz & I are both former "fatties" along with being quite tall. "Normal" seats are uncomfortable for us. But we actually had to get off a plane in Hong Kong and spend the night because Cathay Pacific had squeezed so many seats onto their jumbo jets, it was impossible to sit in them if you were over 5'2" and 100 pounds.

So, yeah....we've walked in those shoes.

I once flew from Chicago to Anchorage with a HUGE guy in the middle seat. It was really uncomfortable for me; it was like trying to fit Oprah in a ballerina outfit. Yes, I know it was uncomfortable for him as well, but I generally have little sympathy for really overweight people: rarely is it an issue that a strict diet and regular exercise wouldn't bring under control.

Sneak in the bathroom, turn on the fan, smoke a fatty, get higher than you already are, what...30,000 feet or something like that? I'll never have to worry about flying. Last I did I was petrified...never again.

We've all be flying for years without this being an issue so it shouldn't be and issue now. Perhaps they should just make the seats bigger?

Also, this change is for tall people too - if you have to put your feet in the area of the seat next to you because they won't fit under your own set they'll have to pay for a 2nd seat too.

You know, I don't want to offend anyone... but they really should :/ Me and my friend were talking about this the other day actually. Like, nobody wants to be crammed in between two fatty fat fats on a long flight. I'm not against people being fat, but I'm against people intruding on my personal space and causing me to be uncomfortable. I paid to be on that airplane, I shouldn't have to swim through someone's fat flaps to get up to go to the bathroom, and I certainly shouldn't have to sit in someone else's stench for however long I'm in the air. And yeah, some fat people don't smell any worse than normal sized people, but if you're that close to anyone you're crammed up next to anyone you're going to catch a whiff of whatever they're deodorant is struggling to cover up.

Once again, RACISM rears it's head.

Per Wikipedia:

RACISM

The term race or racial group usually refers to the categorization of humans into populations or groups on the basis of various sets of heritable characteristics. The most widely used human racial categories are based on salient traits (especially skin color, cranial or facial features and hair texture), and self-identification.

Conceptions of race, as well as specific ways of grouping races, vary by culture and over time, and are often controversial for scientific as well as social and political reasons. The controversy ultimately revolves around whether or not the concept of race is biologically warranted; the ways in which political correctness might fuel either the affirmation or the denial of race; and the degree to which perceived differences in ability and achievement, categorized on the basis of race, are a product of inherited (i.e., genetic) traits or environmental, social and cultural factors.

Also' date=' this change is for tall people too - if you have to put your feet in the area of the seat next to you because they won't fit under your own set they'll have to pay for a 2nd seat too.[/quote']

You know, having that option would be a blessing, I would gladly pay double if they were willing to let me get away with using 2 seats... as it is, around here you cannot do that ;)

You know' date=' I don't want to offend anyone... but they really should :/ Me and my friend were talking about this the other day actually. Like, nobody wants to be crammed in between two fatty fat fats on a long flight. I'm not against people being fat, but I'm against people intruding on my personal space and causing me to be uncomfortable. I paid to be on that airplane, I shouldn't have to swim through someone's fat flaps to get up to go to the bathroom, and I certainly shouldn't have to sit in someone else's stench for however long I'm in the air. And yeah, some fat people don't smell any worse than normal sized people, but if you're that close to anyone you're crammed up next to anyone you're going to catch a whiff of whatever they're deodorant is struggling to cover up.[/quote']

Snapshot2009-04-2009-02-06.jpg

Snapshot2009-01-1320-38-39.jpg

Archived