Gibson Brands Forums

Canadian Smoke

Mr. Gibson

Just got back from Sandusky Ohio, 6/14/23, after spending 4 days and three nights at Cedar Point. Thankfully we experienced no smoke issues.

1. From my research, forest fires in Canada have actually decreased over the last few decades.

2. When/if forests are left in their natural state, allowing deadfall and underbrush to accumulate, the natural process of fires, (lightning strikes as ignition sources, not arson or careless human action), are inevitable and healthy for said forests. (despite not being similarly healthy for humans.)  https://www.americanforests.org/article/the-important-relationship-between-forests-and-fire/ One cannot demand forests to be untouched without experiencing the inevitable fires associated with said.

5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Journalist writes:  "Fire season is just underway."   and   "since we began recording statistics in 1983".  

So - I'd say:  You need to wait until the season is over to declare anything -  certainly can't start with the 'sky is falling'  at the very beginning'.    And,  if you want to draw conclusions of a possible trend. - Forty Years is a blink of an eye in Nature.    

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 8:01 AM, Sheepdog1969 said:

Just got back from Sandusky Ohio, 6/14/23, after spending 4 days and three nights at Cedar Point. Thankfully we experienced no smoke issues.

Wow.  I haven't been to Cedar Point for 25 or so years.  The IMAX Theater was still operating.  And do they still sell that red "Big Red" cream soda?  Or those railroad tie sized French fries with the malt vinegar dispensers  at the nearby stands? 

Whitefang

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Journalist writes:  "Fire season is just underway."   and   "since we began recording statistics in 1983".  

So - I'd say:  You need to wait until the season is over to declare anything -  certainly can't start with the 'sky is falling'  at the very beginning'.    And,  if you want to draw conclusions of a possible trend. - Forty Years is a blink of an eye in Nature.    

So far this season is already the worst in history , dont have to wait longer to know that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Is there a lot of smoke where you live? Can’t imagine living next to it.

The ocean has thrown us on  South Vancouver Island a smoke reducing wind for the last 2 weeks,  There are fires close that have closed  the only access  road to the west side of the island  for over a week and at least week to go,

very nerve racking and BC now has the biggest fire we have ever had at somewhere near 1.5 million acres and stll ragging,  and, there are others  as well.

oh yeah, I have 2 huge cedars an lots more trees on my land and our forest hemmed  town is one road in one road out...

"good time to be old " is my new motto,

stay safe and may your skies be clear  your fires few

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jvi said:

The ocean has thrown us on  South Vancouver Island a smoke reducing wind for the last 2 weeks,  There are fires close that have closed  the only access  road to the west side of the island  for over a week and at least week to go,

very nerve racking and BC now has the biggest fire we have ever had at somewhere near 1.5 million acres and stll ragging,  and, there are others  as well.

oh yeah, I have 2 huge cedars an lots more trees on my land and our forest hemmed  town is one road in one road out...

"good time to be old " is my new motto,

stay safe and may your skies be clear  your fires few

Stay safe....  keep your vehicles fully gassed up.  Have an emergency escape plan and don't wait until the last minute.  We learn that when a hurricane threatens.  One butthead on the hi way going 15 mph towing his wobbly trailer brings everything to a halt for 50 miles behind him.  

"Bout time for this guy to make a comeback!  [cool]

5130bf8a3e962d8fee0bd992f2cb83ad--smokey

Whitefang

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 9:36 AM, Whitefang said:

Wow.  I haven't been to Cedar Point for 25 or so years.  The IMAX Theater was still operating.  And do they still sell that red "Big Red" cream soda?  Or those railroad tie sized French fries with the malt vinegar dispensers  at the nearby stands? 

Whitefang

Sadly, No "Big Red", (my favorite red cream soda, btw!), Coke products are all I saw. I did not notice the Fries or the Malt vinegar, sorry. (but that's not to say they don't still have them.). My daughter and I try to hit the park once every 3-4 years, and we always stay at The Breakers. Cedar Point is still the cleanest, safest, and best Coaster park I have ever been to, and I have been going there for over 25 years, (well before my kid was even born.)

bHiQqzT.jpg

• Like 1

My "prime" of going to Cedar Point was in the later '70's until about the early '90's.  

First half with the first wife and the kids and the other half with the second wife and my kids.  I was never much of a coaster guy or many rides as it was.  My biggest fun was seeing how big a kick the girls(two daughters) got out of it all.  The Blue Streak was the coaster I'd ride more frequently, and only got on the Gemini because my second daughter really wanted to ride on it but wasn't "higher than this finger"  [wink]  so I made the "supreme sacrifice".  [cool]  Lame-O rides like the old "Nestea Plunge"  and the "White Water Landing" were more my speed.  Those and the Sky Ride and the Red Garter Saloon.  [biggrin]  Used to be able to get discount tickets at my union hall.  I don't recall ever paying more than $20 for a ticket.  God knows what they charge this day and age.   I once worked with a guy whose family moved to the Detroit area from Parma, Ohio who told me going to Cedar Point every other weekend wasn't all that rare since it was so close and much cheaper back in the '50's and early '60's.   We only went once every summer during model "changeover" at Cadillac.

Whitefang

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Sadly, No "Big Red", (my favorite red cream soda, btw!), Coke products are all I saw. I did not notice the Fries or the Malt vinegar, sorry. (but that's not to say they don't still have them.). My daughter and I try to hit the park once every 3-4 years, and we always stay at The Breakers. Cedar Point is still the cleanest, safest, and best Coaster park I have ever been to, and I have been going there for over 25 years, (well before my kid was even born.)

bHiQqzT.jpg

You own the place? Looks empty?

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You own the place? Looks empty?

When you stay at the Breakers Hotel, which is on the park grounds, you get one hour early entry. It was a fairly cold Tuesday morning with light rain, so we were the only ones in the "Fast Lane" line when the ride opened. We got three first row "solo" runs before other people started showing up. That was the awesome start to a great Daddy Daughter day! (as usual, we had a great Daddy Daughter vacation.) I am a very lucky Dad! 

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

My "prime" of going to Cedar Point was in the later '70's until about the early '90's.  

First half with the first wife and the kids and the other half with the second wife and my kids.  I was never much of a coaster guy or many rides as it was.  My biggest fun was seeing how big a kick the girls(two daughters) got out of it all.  The Blue Streak was the coaster I'd ride more frequently, and only got on the Gemini because my second daughter really wanted to ride on it but wasn't "higher than this finger"  [wink]  so I made the "supreme sacrifice".  [cool]  Lame-O rides like the old "Nestea Plunge"  and the "White Water Landing" were more my speed.  Those and the Sky Ride and the Red Garter Saloon.  [biggrin]  Used to be able to get discount tickets at my union hall.  I don't recall ever paying more than $20 for a ticket.  God knows what they charge this day and age.   I once worked with a guy whose family moved to the Detroit area from Parma, Ohio who told me going to Cedar Point every other weekend wasn't all that rare since it was so close and much cheaper back in the '50's and early '60's.   We only went once every summer during model "changeover" at Cadillac.

Whitefang

You are obviously a Great Dad! We both love the big coasters, but enjoy the smaller rides as well. It's all about spending time together.

ZhfSqDr.jpg

Ain't it the "Schlitz"   [wink]   And now some are saying I shouldn't have too many doors or windows open.  And of course, nobody is opening their wallets promising to help me with my energy bill from running the A/C more than need be.

Wghitefang