Gibson Brands Forums

Canadian Smoke

Mr. Gibson

3 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Wildfires in Canada smoking up everything here in North Dakota. JVC playing with matches again?

It seems like it happens in California every year, and now Canada has joined the annual summer fires.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 5/17/2023 at 1:52 PM, Mr. Gibson said:

Wildfires in Canada smoking up everything here in North Dakota. JVC playing with matches again?

Is that why it's been hazy here?  Been sneezing a lot too.  Thought it was the pollen being very bad this year? 

49 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

It's always been hazy here in the Detroit area as long as I can remember.

Don't think fires anywhere have much to do with it,  [wink]

Whitefang

It's usually clear as Omaha is a small city. Lately Debbie has been commenting how smog it looks and thought it was raining in the far distant. 

Well, the Downriver area(which I call "downwind")  Has long been surrounded by industry. Great Lakes Steel, McLouth Steel,  Wyandotte Chemical,  Kelsey Hayes, the Ford Rouge Plant and the Marathon refinery.  To name a few. The only big plant not spewing anything  unwanted in the air(thankfully) is the Fermi II nuclear power plant in Monroe County.

Whitefang

The smoke from Canada came in last night again, we had a pretty clear day but a low pressure system screwed it up.

The mosquitoes were horrible yesterday until the smoke came in. I went out at 4 am to check cows with my led light and there was not one mosquito around me, normally you’re swatting them the whole time you’re out there.

Back is still sore, but a lot better than it was. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday, I was able to smell the smoke in my house. I'm in Brooklyn. It's bad enough that they send their geese here to crap all over the place and we get all their nickels, but now all this smoke creating unhealthy air quality.

Edited by gearbasher

It hasn't been too bad in SoCal the last couple of years. I remember when I was a kid (the 70's) the haze was so bad from just the smog, the effects of a forest fire was truly diminished. 

My advice stay indoors if you can, or wear a mask when outdoors. 

34 minutes ago, duane v said:

It hasn't been too bad in SoCal the last couple of years. I remember when I was a kid (the 70's) the haze was so bad from just the smog, the effects of a forest fire was truly diminished. 

My advice stay indoors if you can, or wear a mask when outdoors. 

In New York the city is handing out face masks.  Yesterday was the first time I heard of a baseball game being called due to poor air quality.  It was the Detroit/Philadelphia  game.

What made me laugh was that you'd have thought Detroit players were used to poor air quality.  [wink] But this wildfire smoke is something else entirely.   Not the usual industrial crap we've been breathing in Southeast Michigan for 60+ years.

Whitefang