Gibson Brands Forums

The Washing Machine Thread Part 2

SoulSnatcher

26 minutes ago, Retired said:

Calm down Sgt. How about this? What is the best acoustic I could buy that has mid range tones for around $4 to 5 hundred?  I like the tones of those guild ones.  I know you like Martins,  never played one.

Not a Martin unless you want Mexican made.

9 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Well, them being expensive is why I DON'T have a Martin! [cool]

Whitefang

Me either. Lol.  Always wanted a Gibson like my cousins since 13.  Never could afford one. Probably why I waited till I was 60 and stumbled over that great deal I found at GC ?

Talking about washing machines We just bought a new washer and dryer. Our Maytag is 21 years old, The dryer squeaks really loud like its going out, and it was repaired 9 months ago. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Retired said:

Me either. Lol.  Always wanted a Gibson like my cousins since 13.  Never could afford one. Probably why I waited till I was 60 and stumbled over that great deal I found at GC ?

Talking about washing machines We just bought a new washer and dryer. Our Maytag is 21 years old, The dryer squeaks really loud like its going out, and it was repaired 9 months ago. 

I first got a Gibson when I was 61. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I first got a Gibson when I was 61. 

Really?  Great!  Thought I was the only one that waited so long.  I could have bought a Gibson Lucille on my 65th Birthday. My wife took me to a guitar shop and said, "Pick out Any guitar you want."  I tried about everything they had on the wall. I wasn't very impressed with the Lucille. Seemed to be used. Stuff was loose on it. I played a Gretsch and fell in love with its tone. 

44 minutes ago, IanHenry said:

So what has any of this got to do with Washing Machines 😀

When playing guitars, you should be wearing clothes to keep you guitars finish from getting gunky from sweat. You should keep your clothes clean. And what's the easiest way to clean your clothes? A washing machine.

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2023 at 7:31 AM, Farnsbarns said:

In the old days, when the "ring" of your land line was controlled at the telephone exchange and phones went ring, ring..... Ring, ring.......ring, ring.... 

It was in 5s 

Rjng, ring, rest, rest, rest, ring, ring, rest, rest, rest. 

There's a modern classical piece built around it and I cannot for the life of me remember who did it or what is was called but it has samples of phones in it. 

I remember asking my Luthier about what type of "clip on" tuner he was using.  He replied that he was "an old phone guy", and me being a former Ameritech employee for a few years cut him off before he could finish his thought by telling him that. He looked at me with a bit of confusion and explained that he meant that he used to tune his guitars to the "dial tone" of Land Line phones since the "dial tone" was a B-flat.  Who knew?

On 6/2/2023 at 6:18 AM, Murph said:

Yep. That's the kind of dog I'm talking about. Not a little yapper someone could steal.

I have a 95 pound Catahoula who guards this place like it's the last property with food on Earth. I've also owned Shar Pei's and Pit's and German Shephard's.

Dobermans always look damned serious to me.

Had a friend who was walking thru a park in Decatur, IL years ago, and came upon a guy sitting on a bench with a dog sitting a few feet from him. My friend asked the guy, "Does your dog bite?". The guy said, "No.". So my friend reached down to pet the dog and it nearly bit his hand off. Confused, my friend looked at the guy and said, "I thought you said your dog didn't bite?". The guy replied, "That ain't my dog."".

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

I remember asking my Luthier about what type of "clip on" tuner he was using.  He replied that he was "an old phone guy", and me being a former Ameritech employee for a few years cut him off before he could finish his thought by telling him that. He looked at me with a bit of confusion and explained that he meant that he used to tune his guitars to the "dial tone" of Land Line phones since the "dial tone" was a B-flat.  Who knew?

I remember them as being an F.

I could be wrong.

19 minutes ago, Murph said:

I remember them as being an F.

I could be wrong.

The telephone dial-tone is a B-flat because that frequency was chosen as the standard by the Bell System in the early days of telephony. It was thought that this frequency would be easily distinguished from other sounds and would be easy for people to recognize. However, I have heard many people that said they heard it as an F.  Interestingly, I saw this online,  "Dialtone is an F (350Hz) and an A (440Hz) - TWO TONES NOT ONE
IN MOST OF NORTH AMERICA - JUST LISTEN TO IT!!!"   Anyone who still has a landline could help with this issue!

Edited by Sheepdog1969
typo

Just pulled out my old Illinois Bell/Ameritech training manual and it states that the tone was B-flat, and was based on the original Bell system dial tone. My Luthier just texted me back, and swears it was an A. Murph, who I trust and respect, remembers it as a F. Now my brain hurts. Google searches are inconsistent. Since I no longer have a land line, I can't use my tuner to figure this out. 

On a modern (ish) landline (in the uk at least) every phone number dialling out sounds as a collection of notes. You can get to know the sequence of notes on a regularly dialled number. I have tried to find out what note corresponds to what number. Search  engines always let me down. Anybody know?

I think its chromatic. It might be as simple as 1 = c. 2 = d. 3 = e etc. Anybody that knows tell me please.

13 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

It's a DTMF (dual tone modulated frequency). Each number is two notes. I'm not sure but I seem to remember it's in a grid arrangement so all of one row will share a common note and each will also have a unique note particular to it's column. This would be so it could be done mechanically if necessary. 

I also seem to remember doing some experiments and deciding they aren't a musical scale. 

Dial tones don't really exist any more, in that your phone does it, not the system (at least on digital exchanges, here, which might now be all of them). Testing them now will likely give different results on different phones. 

Ok. So its not a constant. The pitch intervals sound like correct notes (on my phone), but I could be compensating in my head. This is where perfect pitch would be useful. 

Now that you've said it, I can detect paired notes. Thanks for the insight.

On 6/7/2023 at 4:59 PM, Farnsbarns said:

It's a DTMF (dual tone modulated frequency). Each number is two notes. I'm not sure but I seem to remember it's in a grid arrangement so all of one row will share a common note and each will also have a unique note particular to it's column. This would be so it could be done mechanically if necessary. 

I also seem to remember doing some experiments and deciding they aren't a musical scale. 

Dial tones don't really exist any more, in that your phone does it, not the system (at least on digital exchanges, here, which might now be all of them). Testing them now will likely give different results on different phones. 

I did see that land line dial tones, specifically their pitch, are different in different countries. (I defiantly should have specified that in my previous posts.)

Just found this, btw;

The earliest tone in America was 2600Hz, or fourth E above middle C in music terms. One of the earliest “phone phreakers,” that is, people who did not work for the phone company that learned the mechanics of the phone system and exploited it, was Joe Engressia. He was blind and only seven years old when he figured out that he could force an ongoing call to hang up, even when passing by strangers on payphone, if he whistled loud enough. Today’s US tone is two modulating tones between 350hz and 440hz. Europe’s tone is a constant 425Hz tone.

If you want to see the "look of confusion/puzzlement", ask a teenager what a "dial tone" is.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 12:23 AM, Sheepdog1969 said:

I did see that land line dial tones, specifically their pitch, are different in different countries. (I defiantly should have specified that in my previous posts.)

Just found this, btw;

The earliest tone in America was 2600Hz, or fourth E above middle C in music terms. One of the earliest “phone phreakers,” that is, people who did not work for the phone company that learned the mechanics of the phone system and exploited it, was Joe Engressia. He was blind and only seven years old when he figured out that he could force an ongoing call to hang up, even when passing by strangers on payphone, if he whistled loud enough. Today’s US tone is two modulating tones between 350hz and 440hz. Europe’s tone is a constant 425Hz tone.

If you want to see the "look of confusion/puzzlement", ask a teenager what a "dial tone" is.

Not only that would, but in that little story about Joe Engressia you mentioned something else that would confound them.

"Payphone". 

And that's all very interesting information, but still no info on what the key of the modern day dial tone is.  At least for me, who can't translate hz levels into music terms.  [wink]

Whitefang

21 hours ago, Whitefang said:

And that's all very interesting information, but still no info on what the key of the modern day dial tone is.  At least for me, who can't translate hz levels into music terms.  [wink]

Hold your tuner up to the phone.

I don't have a land line anymore.