Gibson Brands Forums

Technology Moving Ahead Exponentially?

There was a blurb on tv this am - the FAA (Federal AVIATION Authority)  has approved initiating an evaluation of the feasibility of a new product submitted to them for approval:

A  Flying Electric Car !!

Now, without getting technical or political (or religious, I suppose)  I can categorically state that I'll get in one of those "When Donkeys Fly!"       I'm disadvantaged in that I am pre-disposed to the belief that the DRIVER has to steer the car and apply the brakes - not some chip. Made in Taiwan I think.   I'm also suspicious of the whole battery driven vehicle technology - in terms of being feasible, in the foreseeable future.  I've heard jokes - as recently as this year -   "Who would fly in a Solar Powered Plane ?"   It would seem the interim step is here.    A victim of D Cell Batteries that leaked and died in cold weather -  they could provide the 'flying car' with automatic ejection seats equipped with parachutes, and I'd still not get in one.   

Between this - and 'artificial intelligence'  -  I'm starting to feel like a cassette tape among MP3s. 

• Haha 1

And yet people keep getting dumber and dumber.

You have to use labels to keep them from eating Tide pods and drinking battery acid.

They build houses out of cardboard and poop on the sidewalk.

Cassettes sound better than mp3's anyhow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Murph said:

And yet people keep getting dumber and dumber.

You have to use labels to keep them from eating Tide pods and drinking battery acid.

They build houses out of cardboard and poop on the sidewalk.

Cassettes sound better than mp3's anyhow.

If your an adult and you put a little ball of laundry detergent in your mouth, then obviously you get what you deserve. 

I went to top off the power steering fluid in my wife's '18 Forester and it has electronic steering.  No fluid, no steering gears, no nothing.

The thing steers each wheel independently.  When I accidentially pushed the lane maintainer button thingy, the thing was steering all over the place.  When the thing got next to a truck, it got scared and jerked the wheels around a little.

Edited by badbluesplayer

Yes. I also think we are on the verge of a huge leap in technology... 

Power is one thing I see videos about.. Solid state batteries, nuclear batteries, nuclear fusion at room based temperatures..  Theres also as said AI and robotics that have taken small leaps forward. Also quantum computing..

Flying cars. Man can you imagine.. They have been working on those for ages, but how that would ever be safe I dont know..  Its bad enough with loads of fast moving vehicles on the ground. Just, not ready for that yet I dont think.

But yeah, the future is almost here  🙂 

5 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

There was a blurb on tv this am - the FAA (Federal AVIATION Authority)  has approved initiating an evaluation of the feasibility of a new product submitted to them for approval:

A  Flying Electric Car !!

Those words "has approved initiating an evaluation of the feasibility of" falls a long way off from approval. Even if they do, the FAA & the CAA are not going to allow any flying traffic interfering with scheduled flight plans. Flight traffic control is stressful as it already is. 

However its finalised, it will be heavily regulated and will severely limit where, when and how high you can fly. 

Edited by merciful-evans