Gibson Brands Forums

Cashier Wouldn't Accept "old" $100.00 Dollar Bill !

Murph

"She Said They Didn’t Make $100 Bills Back in 1990" — Woman Says Teen Cashier Rejected Old Bill (msn.com)

I actually had this happen once, sorta. Older hundred dollar bill, no "strip" in it and such.

In my case at least the manager knew better and the deal went through.

Cheesed me off though. 

I also bought an old Morgan silver dollar for a dollar once from an idiot cashier...

I was going to pay for a guitar case with cash at Guitar Center. The cashier said that he couldn’t sell it to me for cash, I’d have to buy a gift certificate with the cash & then buy the guitar case. I pulled out my debit card………..

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Grog said:

I was going to pay for a guitar case with cash at Guitar Center. The cashier said that he couldn’t sell it to me for cash, I’d have to buy a gift certificate with the cash & then buy the guitar case. I pulled out my debit card………..

I'd have just pulled out of the store.

When I was 18 I found a car I liked at the used car section of a local Ford dealer.  When opening talks about making the purchase the salesman asked how I intended to pay for it.  When I said "cash" he started to quickly walk off saying he couldn't sell it for cash to someone my age!  But did say I could finance it through the dealership.  Sure.   With interest tacked on to the payments and wind up paying more for it than it was priced as. 🙄  It was/is a major factor as to why I'll never buy any Ford product, new or used.

Whitefang

I once went to the bank to deposit some cash. There was a 1934 twenty dollar bill in there. The teller insisted it was counterfeit and was "doing me a favor" by returning it and not confiscating it.

And, I had about 100 Eisenhower dollar coins. I went to the bank to trade them for paper. The teller had to call the main office to ask if they were real.

1 hour ago, gearbasher said:

And, I had about 100 Eisenhower dollar coins. 

My Dad had over 5000 of those at one time. He just went on a tangent buying them, even though they had no silver.

He eventually took a bunch on a vacation and spent them, then spent the rest over the years. They had no real collectable value and took up a lot of space. He was a fun guy and I miss him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I have a friend who is a Department of the Treasury, U.S. Secret Service Special Agent. He worked in D.C. for decades on POTUS' personal protection detail. But, after having two kids and never seeing them or his wife, he decided to slow down and relocate to a field office closer to family and friends where he grew up. He currently runs the "counterfeiting" investigative detail in his area. He once told me that the best way to train bank tellers/employees, and/or any individuals who are tasked with handling/exchanging US Currency, to detect counterfeit currency, IS TO NEVER LET THEM SEE OR TOUCH "FUNNY MONEY". He explained that ALL US currency, no matter when it was printed/minted, whether crisp and new or old and worn, has a consistent, unique, visual/tactile quality discernable by those who constantly handle it. These unique currency attributes become ingrained into the sub-conscious of "money handlers".  As such, when and if one of these "money handlers" sees/touches/handles counterfeit currency, it "sticks out like a sore thumb.". 

Every single piece of counterfeit US currency ever seized by the Secret Service is kept, curated, cataloged,  studied, and criminally investigated. Before and after the "strip" in paper currency existed , before and after the "pen" test existed, nearly every single piece of counterfeit currency removed from circulation was because a "money handler" observed something "not right" when handling it, and then reported it. And Yes, every single time any individual reports a possible counterfeit piece of US currency, regardless of which law enforcement agency they report it to, a Secret Service Special Agent is sent to determine the veracity of the report, collect any currency determined to be counterfeit, and to initiate an investigation regarding said counterfeit currency.         

As of today, every piece of US Paper currency and coinage is "Legal Tender", and must be accepted by any US business engaging in financial transactions with the public. Any said business who "chooses not to accept paper currency and/or coinage", for what ever reason, must provide a "no cost, no fee" alternative that allows customers the ability to exchange/transfer currency into a "single use" "card", voucher, or similar accepted payment method, in an anonymous, on-site, and unobtrusive process.  Recently, on vacation, I encountered a business that claimed, "not to accept cash payments". Upon hearing this, I started to explain the info detailed above to our waitress, regarding "Legal Tender." But, before I said more than, "Actually, you must...", she explained that I could pay her with cash, with either the exact amount or over, (depending on the denomination of the currency I had on me). She would then take my currency, (and provide me a receipt for said, if I wished), and then "deposit" it into an ATM like kiosk near the restaurant's entrance, which would provide her with a "card" with a magnetic strip "loaded" with the exact amount of our bill, and said kiosk would also provide any "change" needed in currency form. She would then "pay" my bill with said "card" and return any "change" back to me. (She could be "tipped" via this method as well, or I could simply provide her a "cash" tip.) In this instance, had she simply not informed me of the "no cash" policy, I would have never known.  

23 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Yes, every single time any individual reports a possible counterfeit piece of US currency, regardless of which law enforcement agency they report it to, a Secret Service Special Agent is sent to determine the veracity of the report, collect any currency determined to be counterfeit, and to initiate an investigation regarding said counterfeit currency.         

Is this the same Secret Service who couldn't figure out who brought the coke in the White House?

And then closed the investigation in a matter of days.

Without an answer....

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Murph said:

Is this the same Secret Service who couldn't figure out who brought the coke in the White House?

And then closed the investigation in a matter of days.

Without an answer....

LOL! No, he is a true American who got sick of what was happening in DC during 44. 

1 hour ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

As of today, every piece of US Paper currency and coinage is "Legal Tender", and must be accepted by any US business engaging in financial transactions with the public. 

Bravo!

I've been arguing this for years.

"All debts public and private"

My Dad "forced" a UPS driver to go to the post office and get a money order because he told him he wouldn't accept cash. He would order stuff c.o.d. just to pi$$ that guy off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Murph said:

Bravo!

My Dad "forced" a UPS driver to go to the post office and get a money order because he told him he wouldn't accept cash. He would order stuff c.o.d. just to pi$$ that guy off.

I think I would have liked your Dad ... lol

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gearbasher said:

I once went to the bank to deposit some cash. There was a 1934 twenty dollar bill in there. The teller insisted it was counterfeit and was "doing me a favor" by returning it and not confiscating it.

And, I had about 100 Eisenhower dollar coins. I went to the bank to trade them for paper. The teller had to call the main office to ask if they were real.

She did do you a favor. That "Bill" is worth far more than it's $20 face value.  Without looking it up, I bet it was a "Silver Note", (Silver Notes have a Blue Dept. of the Treasury Seal, (instead of Green) on the right side of the Portrait on the Bill's face, on top of the written word describing the Bill's denomination. Silver Notes were to be "backed" by silver, and are quite collectable!

She did do you a favor. That "Bill" is worth far more than it's $20 face value.  Without looking it up, I bet it was a "Silver Note", (Silver Notes have a Blue Dept. of the Treasury Seal, (instead of Green) on the right side of the Portrait on the Bill's face, on top of the written word describing the Bill's denomination. Silver Notes were to be "backed" by silver, and are quite collectable!

Not a Silver note. Nothing special about it and in poor condition.

2 hours ago, Murph said:

Bravo!

Here's one for ya....

Some years ago I used to have a Walmart credit card.  When making out the monthly bills one night, I had already had money orders made out to the amounts of certain creditors( was srtill waitin delivery of check from my bank)..  I noticed that  by the time my payment would reach Walmart's payment center it would be past due.  So, to avoid a past due charge on my next bill, I drove the 10 miles to the Walmart store to pay the bill at the service desk.  And when I handed them the money order I was told,  "We can't accept money orders for bill payments at the store."

I tried explaining my intent to avoid a late charge and was told, "You could go to where you purchased the money order and cash it in and come back with the cash."   But on the back of the money order it explicitly stated there was a $20 charge for doing that.   She also said I could pay by check, but as I mentioned earlier, I had no checks to write on.   And anyway.....

It seems that I could write them a check for the bill's amount, and that check could bounce higher than a superball tossed off the Empire State building, but they won't take a money order, which is a sure thing as far as getting their money is concerned.  I left the store, cut my Walmart card into confetti, paid off the balance in a couple of months and never shopped at Walmart again.  

Whitefang

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gearbasher said:

Not a Silver note. Nothing special about it and in poor condition.

So, I did a bit a research and found out a few things. Apparently, even a fairly worn out $20 bill from 1934, with the Green seal, would fetch at least $30-$40, and even more if it's serial numbers were just weird enough for some collectors. (Obviously uncirculated bills, or lightly used bills would fetch far more.) But here is the Kicker! 

There are 1934 and 1934A series $20 Hawaii notes available. On these bills the word Hawaii is clearly printed on the left hand side of the bill and on the entire back of the bill. Each note has a brown seal.

This was an overprint that was issued as a response to the Pearl Harbor attack. The theory was that if Japan took over Hawaii then they would capture a lot of US currency. If that happened then the US government would declare any Hawaii stamped note to be invalid.

Depending on condition $125-$2,500

This was an overprint that was issued as a response to the Pearl Harbor attack. The theory was that if Japan took over Hawaii then they would capture a lot of US currency. If that happened then the US government would declare any Hawaii stamped note to be invalid.

That would make it the most elaborate heist in the history of the world !

I've carried a brand-new (at the time) $20 bill in each wallet, (Yes.... I've always had 2 wallets....evens out my butt when I sit), for the last almost 50 years..... I'll need to look at them, but they'll date to the 1980's sometime.

They both are probably worth $20!

6 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Yeah, until some millennial cashier tells you they didn't make $20 bills in the '80's. [wink]

Whitefang

Yeah....it's strange.... a 'millennial' born maybe 2005..... thinks the same about 1970 as I (we?) thought about 1935 when we were 18.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1