Gibson Brands Forums

Craigslist offering. 1955 J50. What you think?

rbpicker

Check this out…a 1955 J50 on the Detroit Craigslist.  I tried to copy/paste but couldn’t make it work.  Price is really low for what it appears to be.  What do you think?  

Probably a scam of some sort, but who knows.  $1200.  

rb

45 minutes ago, rbpicker said:

Check this out…a 1955 J50 on the Detroit Craigslist.  I tried to copy/paste but couldn’t make it work.  Price is really low for what it appears to be.  What do you think?  

Probably a scam of some sort, but who knows.  $1200.  

rb

Is it real? Seems low for a '55. Its it beat to death? Or is it fake?

1955 was a transition year so the waters can be muddied by the fact you may get a mix of specs depending on how early or late in the year the guitar was built.  Still, if you know your way around them it is not all that hard to figure out what you are looking at.  As to the price - if it seems to be too good to be true . . .But still definitely worth a look-see.

What I think is that unless I'm buying a __________________ from a reputable store or dealer, if I can't see it alive and in the flesh, I'm not interested.

And Craigslist, kijiji, ebay and the like are not  reputable dealers. They are auction sites, and nothing more.

That's what I think.

RBSinTo

13 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

What I think is that unless I'm buying a __________________ from a reputable store or dealer, if I can't see it alive and in the flesh, I'm not interested.

And Craigslist, kijiji, ebay and the like are not  reputable dealers. They are auction sites, and nothing more.

That's what I think.

RBSinTo

Guitar Center is shady too unless you like getting taken for a ride.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I don't think a 55 goes for that much.  Most of them were not scalloped. 

Here is a 54 -- many consider this the last good year. Me too by true vintage standards, but I started out as a folkie, and there also a warm place in my heart for Gibsons up too maybe 1965.  Here is a 56 like the one I played in the 60s.

I1iIO1U.jpg

VAqgLIn.jpg

I have never seen a scalloped batwing or  straight teardrop, but of course I have only seen a few.

5 minutes ago, Murph said:

I've never bought a guitar off of Craigslist.

I'm sure there are bargains out there, though.

Murph,

My Gibson j-45, Guild GAD jf-30, Washburn parlour, and Grenada ES-335 knock-off electric, were all sourced on kijiji, or Craigslist, and I've been happy with all of them.

RBSinTo

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Murph,

My Gibson j-45, Guild GAD jf-30, Washburn parlour, and Grenada ES-335 knock-off electric, were all sourced on kijiji, or Craigslist, and I've been happy with all of them.

RBSinTo

Cool.

I found my Swamp Dog "slightly used on Reverb, then took a day trip ride to the town, and went into the (music) store with cash and never mentioned Reverb.

Offered less than the asking price, cash, tax included, and took it home.

Love those deals.

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

I also owned a 1956 Southerner Jumbo.  I remain a fan of the large pickguard and un-scalloped bracing.

There is no reason not to love them.  I am really in love with my 62 Hummingbird purely on tone.  But before the 50s, power had a major impact on  traditional acoustic music from the early 30s.  With the much milder urban folk revival (the music of my youth) and the advent of electricity as standard, that no longer was so impactful.  It all depends on what you like and how you play and interact with evolving guitar construction standards.  It is all good.

Best,

-Tom

On 7/25/2023 at 7:52 AM, Murph said:

I've never bought a guitar off of Craigslist.

I'm sure there are bargains out there, though.

you roll the dice to get someone who "doesnt want to deal with the online blah blah blah" but they also aren't in tune of going rates on the stuff they have.  Not talking about swindling old ladies from their late husbands treasure, but I got my '68 J45 from a guy that was hard up for money and didnt need it. very shady to count out the cash in a laundromat at 10pm but i picked it up for under $1000 about ten years ago. did something similar for my '46 L48 that was in disrepair but playable that I got it for $220. if you want an amazing experience in selecting a great guitar, you budget to pay for that experience!