Gibson Brands Forums

Just Used Sweetwater's Used Gear Site to Sell

👍👍

I sold a 2019 Les Paul on the Sweetwater used gear site.  Everything worked out pretty well.  It seems like it got pretty decent traffic.  It took a month or so to sell.  I reduced the price a hundred bucks a week or so.  I sold it to a guy in Washington State.

There was a 5% seller fee plus a 2.5% transaction fee.  I think they waive the fees if you take a store credit instead of taking the cash.  They use Hyperwallet to pay out.  They hold the cash until the thing gets delivered on your first transaction.

Sweetwater gets you a big savings on the shipping and insurance too.  I paid like 40% of full price.

Anyway, it worked out well.  Maybe didn't get quite as much traffic as it would have on Reverb, but a little more seller friendly.  I don't think I'd sell any gear on ebay any more.

Here's the listing -

https://www.sweetwater.com/used/listings/93597-used-gibson-gibson-les-paul-standard-2018-model-early-2019-production

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Just had a read through. I didn't know they used compound radius on stds. Learn something every day.

Good to know there's another trading avenue endorsement.

There is, but like any one of them they want a cut of your cake. Reverb was great for a while till they got bought out by Etsy. They fees went up and up and up. To me its about the same flavor, just a different brand. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Ok, I remember when you bought this and sorry it must have fallen out of favor, but we all move on and I know you use a 335 a lot.  The model year is very confusing and I'm surprised that the buyer didn't question it.  Your ad copy says it's a 2018 model made in early 2019, on the back of the headstock it says that it is a 2019 model, and the serial number would date it as built in 2013????

Anyway, glad to hear the Sweetwater exchange was pretty good.

Edited by Twang Gang

On 7/28/2023 at 4:41 AM, merciful-evans said:

Just had a read through. I didn't know they used compound radius on stds. Learn something every day.

Good to know there's another trading avenue endorsement.

The 2018 models had the compound radius fretboard.  It was at the end of the phase where they were changing the specs around every time somebody had a "better" idea.  The problem is that the string radius varies from 10 in. at the nut to 12 in. at the bridge and the fretboard radius goes from 10 at the nut to 15 somewhere up the fretboard.  The upshot is that the strings aren't at the same radius as the fretboard, so the strings are about one and a half 64ths of an inch out of radius at the 12th fret - the 3rd and 4th strings sit higher.  And it's very noticeable on the higher frets.  They missed geometry class, I guess.

Edited by badbluesplayer

11 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Ok, I remember when you bought this and sorry it must have fallen out of favor, but we all move on and I know you use a 335 a lot.  The model year is very confusing and I'm surprised that the buyer didn't question it.  Your ad copy says it's a 2018 model made in early 2019, on the back of the headstock it says that it is a 2019 model, and the serial number would date it as built in 2013????

Anyway, glad to hear the Sweetwater exchange was pretty good.

That year had the "new and more exctiting" serial number format where they put the 19 right in front so everything would be easier to understand.  I guess.

I had to be very careful about being clear on the specs of the thing.  I copied the text from the old Sweetwater sales listing.

Edited by badbluesplayer

Reverb has a set price, or you can have some make an offer, or both. Even if you only have a set price, people will message you and try to barter.

Didn’t even know you could sell on SW till BBP posted he did. Gotta make money other ways than just selling gear I suppose. And it’s easy for them because all they’re really doing is giving you an place to make your own add. 

It would be nice if Sweetwater or Reverb just had a flat rate of let’s say 50 bucks once your guitar sells, and that’s what they get. They get and want a percentage, so if you sell your guitar for more they get more if your guitar sells for less they get less. It also specifically states on Reverb that you can’t sell your guitar for a ridiculously low price, cause once agin they want their cut. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 7/28/2023 at 5:59 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

There is, but like any one of them they want a cut of your cake. Reverb was great for a while till they got bought out by Etsy. They fees went up and up and up. To me its about the same flavor, just a different brand. 

I could go on and on about how much reverb sucks as a seller but I don’t think anyone cares

As a seller you’re just completely unprotected if something goes wrong beyond your control. You can do everything by the books and still get screwed. Even if nothing goes wrong it’s still an annoying place to sell something. So many tire kickers and low ballers asking the dumbest questions 

I don’t even look for gear on there because the website sucks in general. Last time I checked it looked like they were having quite a problem with scammers moving in. Not surprising because a janky website where thousands of dollars are exchanged with little to no protection or customer service sounds like a great place to steal ****

Random question.. does the multi tool have a wrench/spanner for the toggle switch nut? 

I noticed they ship the poker chip separately in the case candy but imagine how many people don’t have the proper tool and go at it with needle nose pliers or something 

Well, recently after buying my Morely Multi FX pedal I wanted to get rid of some stomp boxes. I didn't feel like listing and shipping, so I took them to GC. I had 2 wahs, Mojo Mojo OD, a small chorus and Dyna Comp. Got enough to purchase a nice mic stand and still $40 cash. I think it was worth it rather than making slightly more selling on eBay or Reverb.

21 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

The 2018 models had the compound radius fretboard.  It was at the end of the phase where they were changing the specs around every time somebody had a "better" idea.  The problem is that the string radius varies from 10 in. at the nut to 12 in. at the bridge and the fretboard radius goes from 10 at the nut to 15 somewhere up the fretboard.  The upshot is that the strings aren't at the same radius as the fretboard, so the strings are about one and a half 64ths of an inch out of radius at the 12th fret - the 3rd and 4th strings sit higher.  And it's very noticeable on the higher frets.  They missed geometry class, I guess.

That is a massive oversight. I expect that there's not enough saddle material to relevel them to 15" ?

Screw tradition. Its about time Gibson offered a bridge with individual saddle adjustment. I'd buy them. 

On 7/30/2023 at 10:46 AM, merciful-evans said:

Its about time Gibson offered a bridge with individual saddle adjustment. I'd buy them. 

Like the one at the top in this pic?  Can't remember where I got it - generic, made in far-East.....I have several replacement bridges and the big problem is always the height in my exp.

P1050620.jpg

Apologies for thread hi jack. 

Edited by jdgm

21 hours ago, jdgm said:

Like the one at the top in this pic?  Can't remember where I got it - generic, made in far-East.....I have several replacement bridges and the big problem is always the height in my exp.

P1050620.jpg

Apologies for thread hi jack. 

I can see that. The height is a risk when ordering a replacement. 

When I change the strings on the both the LP DC and the HR Fusion I intend to recut the grooves on several saddles. I just wish I didn't have to. Get it wrong and its buy more saddles and have another go.

On 7/29/2023 at 11:24 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

Random question.. does the multi tool have a wrench/spanner for the toggle switch nut? 

I noticed they ship the poker chip separately in the case candy but imagine how many people don’t have the proper tool and go at it with needle nose pliers or something 

Nope.  I have one of these, tho -e0d7b59b-317a-4829-9cfc-9c98fe471daa__51

I have purchased a number instruments, amps, etc. from Sweetwater, with no issues. Interestingly, on 8/3/23, I got a call and a text from Ben Elder, the Sweetwater Sales Engineer that I have always worked with. (It's been over 6 months since I have done any business with SW.) He was just checking in to make sure all the gear I had purchased from them was functioning as expected, (and obviously, to generate some business). No one from Guitar Center has ever done that, and I have bought 100 times more from GC, since 1985, than I have from SW.