Gibson Brands Forums

My Brand New J45 Delivered Today - Issues...

jspt46

Hello everyone! I ordered a new J45 Acoustic from Guitar Center and it was shipped to my house. It arrived today in a Gibson factory box.  It and removed the guitar from the hard shell case.  I heard something banging around inside the body as I moved the guitar around.  I tilted it enough to see a small black box dangling from a black insulated wire inside the sound hole.  I'm assuming it's something to do with the electronics inside the body.. Anybody else had this issue?  I'm wondering if I should take it to GC or contact Gibson being that it's only two hours old. lol. Thanks guys!

1 hour ago, dhanners623 said:

. . .  Is it the battery pack? If so, they’re held in with Velcro. . . 

1 hour ago, rbpicker said:

Is there a piece of Velcro on the neck block, and another piece on the little bag?   If so, just stick them together and play your new guitar.  Probably got shaken loose during shipment.

rb

Certainly sounds like the case here- many people remove the battery prior to shipping to lessen the likelihood of it coming loose and bouncing around inside the guitar.

Hopefully it was just the battery bag that had come loose. Congrats on the NGD, and remember- pics of the new J-45, or it didn't happen!

Edited by 62burst

It’s usually a good idea to let your newly delivered Guitar sit overnight in the Box so it acclimate itself to Temperature and Humidity from its trip traveling to get to you.. I wouldn’t tell GC it was 2 hours old when you opened the box..

What’s wrong with your Guitar probably has nothing to do with my statement above.. Just an FYI to help cover you.. 

4 hours ago, jspt46 said:

Thanks to you all.  It is in fact the battery holder that has both sides of the velcro attached.  I was able to figure out all I needed to know by watching several youtube vids and even how to re-secure it with new industrial strength velcro.  Thank you all very much for the responses!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XZocVD41Xxrme7PN6

Something’s not right with your Pic? Here are some Pics to compare the inside of the Soundhole & how it should look.. If the factory installed your Electronics like that it’s wrong..

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RS45VSN19--gibson-acoustic-j-45-standard-vintage-sunburst?serial=21913106

11 hours ago, jspt46 said:

Thanks to you all.  It is in fact the battery holder that has both sides of the velcro attached.  I was able to figure out all I needed to know by watching several youtube vids and even how to re-secure it with new industrial strength velcro.  Thank you all very much for the responses!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XZocVD41Xxrme7PN6

It would have been best to secure the Velcro to the neck block.  Hope it didn’t damage anything while rattling around during shipping.

Edited by Gibson29

21 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

It is possible that jspt46  installed the battery holder in that location, and not Gibson.

It is unlikely that the Cordura fabric pouch would rattle, let alone cause damage.    

I’m sure he probably did.. Gibson wouldn’t do that on a $3000.00 Guitar. As long as it works, he likes it & doesn’t cause future problems..

Edited by Larsongs

I don't think the picture is showing where it's installed. It's showing where it ended up after coming loose. You can see the velcro loop side strip  on the right side of the photo. Hopefully he got it back on the velcro "hooks" which is probably still attached to the neck block.

It they just ship it without the battery installed that would never happen.

• 5 months later...
On 8/27/2023 at 3:10 AM, dhanners623 said:

How big is the “black box”? Is it the battery pack? If so, they’re held in with Velcro. If not, I don’t have a clue and, yeah, it shouldn’t be banging around in there. If you’ve got a GC close by, head on over.

A photo might help us here….

Hi! the whole battery pack fell off on my j45. can you show me how it is attached in the neck block? can you send a pic? thank you

Both Velcro pieces may be stuck together on the "Black Box" when the guitar got bumped around during shipping. There should be at least some sign of sticky residue where it was first placed in the guitar.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

12 minutes ago, olie said:

You engineer-types sure like to get technical!

Murph an engineer? More like a MacGyveneer.

When I was a young electrician in the Navy, my Chief used to get on my a-ss for not using electrical terms. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper