Gibson Brands Forums

Polished out satin finish 335

SteveFord

Thanks, it's an improvement over how it originally came.

I know I removed the knobs and replaced them with Speed knobs, I think the pick guard came off, I left the pick ups in place.

These photos don't show it but over the years the pattern in the wood started to come through.  Not a fancy, figured top but there is some there.

On 8/27/2023 at 10:59 AM, SteveFord said:

polishing done with Virtuoso Cleaner and then Virtuoso Polish.

Polishing done by hand, it took a few hours.  

What you see is what you get - some gloss (the pick up selector knob's reflection) but it's certainly not a high gloss.

You can see I was messing with the pick ups, I put the bridge back the way it was after the pictures.  WTH?

Satin lacquer has an additive that makes it dry with that satin look. The satin finishes are not meant to be wet sanded or polished after their final coat.

You can polish a satin finish so that the surface is smooth and shiny, but the lacquer itself won’t have the clarity of normal gloss lacquer 

Keep in mind that many Gibson guitars with “satin” finishes also skip grain filler on the mahogany, so in that case you will never get those parts looking the way they do on a gloss Gibson 

I understand this product is made for guitars but it’s probably essentially what you normally call swirl remover 

you could get a buffing pad attachment for your drill (separate pad for each grit) and medium, fine, and swirl remover paste and do this much more efficiently