Gibson Brands Forums

Impulse Bird Purchase

Desko

Good afternoon all,

So yesterday I made a very impulsive purchase on a 1973 Gibson Hummingbird. I’ve played a few from the modern era but have always always always been fascinated by the vintage Gibsons. The price was so good I didn’t even think about racking up more debt. Does anyone have experience playing these? I have heard many stories about the X bracing being duds. Any stories further? Let’s pray I love this.

Thanks,

j

Are we so lucky that you will show pictures.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Might be a very fine sounding square - and yes, it has the double X bracing. But they too break in and can reach something unique. 

I have been around long enough to recall when I could take a brand new and shiny 1973 Hummingbird off the music shop wall and give it a spin.  But I have no stories based on my personal experiences worth offering.  Best guess is you will be enthralled with the guitar.  Your opinion down the road may change as your frame of reference widens. Or it won't.  No way of telling.  

So, congrats and enjoy the heck out of the instrument.  

If you search for early 70s Hummingbirds on the Tube you'll find a bunch that sound too stiff. Why ? , , , because the ARE stiff. . 

This one however, which was posted before, may be the best sounding double-X I've heard.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             And the reason probably is that the good fellow has the touch, , , PLUS the fact that he plays it gently.                                                                                                                                                                                              The logic here of course is that when activating it with a milder feel, he won't reveal the guitar's lack of ability to seriously respond to bigger force.                                                                  In other words there is a decisive relation between pumping heavy vibes into the creature and its conditions for answering. Pretty obvious when thinking about it. 

A splendid 1974 ~

Then again - some people like the tight focused and percussive directness of a hard strummed double-X. And that's exactly how it should be. 

Edited by E-minor7
  • Like 1

I have a ‘41 Regal Recording King. Has a carved top. It’s not over-braced but it measures up to .250” in spots. It will not win any contest at a bluegrass jam but it has one of the sweetest tones I’ve heard. I think Em7’s video demonstrates that with that bird.  
I added a pickup for when I want more volume. That sounds great too. 

52956736844_b7f79c5710_b.jpg

• Like 1

I've always loved Hummingbirds.   The reason I have several Gibson Acoustics is BECAUSE I played a mid-60's 'Bird back when I worked in a music store.

I said then....if I ever got the money, that's the acoustic I'd want!

I now have 2 Hummingbirds, but would love a "Hog" B&S 6-String that I can play out....nothing too nice, so I don't have to worry about buckle-rash or loaning to someone to play....but alas, no room at the inn, (if you know what I mean).

CONGRATZ on your new axe....let's see some photos!   Let's hear some tunes!

6 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I've always loved Hummingbirds.   The reason I have several Gibson Acoustics is BECAUSE I played a mid-60's 'Bird back when I worked in a music store.

I said then....if I ever got the money, that's the acoustic I'd want!

I now have 2 Hummingbirds, but would love a "Hog" B&S 6-String that I can play out....nothing too nice, so I don't have to worry about buckle-rash or loaning to someone to play....but alas, no room at the inn, (if you know what I mean).

CONGRATZ on your new axe....let's see some photos!   Let's hear some tunes!

DR,   I feel your pain.   I only have 3 guitars, but they're  all  'top shelf' and I need a 'nice beater' I can feel comfortable with  - like a worn out pair of Levis - playing on the back porch when the temps and humidity aren't  perfect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

DR,   I feel your pain.   I only have 3 guitars, but they're  all  'top shelf' and I need a 'nice beater' I can feel comfortable with  - like a worn out pair of Levis - playing on the back porch when the temps and humidity aren't  perfect. 

Back when I lived in Mississippi my house backed up to a Southern Baptist Church which had been there since Reconstruction.  Wednesday nights the ladies would have choir practice with the windows generally wide open.  I used to sit on the back porch and just listen but on occasion would grab a guitar and quietly play long with those old Jubilee songs.

For me though guitars which not only sound but feel like coming home do not, so to speak, grow on trees. It has nothing to do with condition or when and where I choose to play them.  There is just something about these instruments which makes playing them as comfortable as wearing my favorite old flannel shirt.  Thing is I cannot really explain it.  Maybe it is just familiarity which comes from the time spent circling one another with me trying to figure the guitar out while it seemingly taunted me saying "c'mon, you can do better than that."   

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 2

The ones i've played are always so much heavier than the 60s ones, but while lighter usually means a better overall sound, heavier doesn't necessarily mean a BAD sound. I've played a couple that are really great strummers and are broken in right to the sweet spot. like everything gibson, it just depends on that particular guitar and what you're expectations are

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Sounds like an Epiphone.

They effortless reach far into that territory. . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I used to sit on the back porch and just listen but on occasion would grab a guitar and quietly play long with those old Jubilee songs.

How nice and soulful ^                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   , , , was it before Highway 61 and Jumping Jack Flash were released. . 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

40.... I actually have a GREAT "Beater".... a 1969 Jubilee..... been with me for @ 50 years..... been all over the country..... started to look like "Trigger"....so I had some top cracks repaired....but it deadened the sound some....but still a great guitar.   I'm now playing it as my practice guitar, (every morning), because it's smaller and helps my brusitis.  I don't mind loaning out my Dove and J-50...both are really great guitars, but are 'players'. 

I spoke with Ren Ferguson, and he said if I bring back my DIF, Custom KOA 'Bird and 12-String 'Bird, he'd sign them for me.

Another thing.... I keep all my guitars in their cases (Earthquakes), with humidifiers....but the humidity here in the SF Bay Area is nearly perfect for guitars.

• Like 1

I’d love a 70’s Wine Red Hummingbird. That color is beautiful. Otherwise, 70’s Norlin Era Gibson Acoustics are meh….

So….Where are the pics? I remember someone sayin’, pics or it didn’t happen every time I get a new guitar….

Edited by Hype
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Did you play it first? It doesn't sound like you did.

I bought three high-end guitars from GC....only played one of them before I bought it....(and I had called them and told them to NOT put it out...put it in the case and I'd come in the following week).    But all mine worked out just fine!

• Like 2

On 9/8/2023 at 2:46 PM, Desko said:

Good afternoon all,

So yesterday I made a very impulsive purchase on a 1973 Gibson Hummingbird. I’ve played a few from the modern era but have always always always been fascinated by the vintage Gibsons. The price was so good I didn’t even think about racking up more debt. Does anyone have experience playing these? I have heard many stories about the X bracing being duds. Any stories further? Let’s pray I love this.

Thanks,

j

I have a 1973 Gibson SJ Deluxe in my collection.  Or, it might be a 1972.  Whatever, I bought it new in 1974.  Sound wise, it is great.  Probably my best sounding guitar.    Problems have never  been related to its sound.  It developed a crack in from of the soundhole that I had a Gibson repair person fix years ago.   It also developed a warping of the neck that I had Gibson heat Press back into its proper shape about 20 years ago.  It’s stayed unwarped  since.   It’s always had action a bit higher than today’s standard towards the sound hole.  That was never a problem until I learned how to play up the neck.  It looks like it would play worse up there than it actually does.  (It’s got great action in the first position of the neck.). It has a thin neck, but I don’t find that a problem.    It’s a high quality guitar that has had some quirks.  I like it, though and it does sound really great!

Just my experience with a guitar from that period.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 11:25 AM, E-minor7 said:

Sounds like an Epiphone.

They effortless reach far into that territory. . 

My thoughts exactly. An old Masterbuilt.