Gibson Brands Forums

Suzanne Somers passed away

SteveFord

Aw, man.

I saw her live in 1983 over in Germany, at a USO show.
It was literally in a large maintenance bay, normally full of deuce and a half trucks.

Nice stage, great musicians, and Suzanne Somers sang and danced really nicely.

She had this schtick where she would call up a soldier, and sing some sort of romance song to the normally-shy and red faced GI.
Somehow or another, our Battalion Commander, a Lieutenant Colonel, got up and took the roll of the Soldier. 

It was hilarious.
1. He was a complete ****. Hated by all. Self-serving, arrogant. A really horrible person.
2. The crowd was booing practically all thru the bit, and Suzanne was a real trooper, carrying on with this perplexed look on her beautiful face.
(Why are these Soldiers booing their Commander??)

Other than that, she and the crowd had a really good evening of it.
Good times, good memories.

I will pray for her family.
Rest in peace, good lady.

😐

SvMtlQC.jpg

• Like 1

Read her bio.  Definitely a great person.  She was a pioneer in 'Women's Rights'  but in a good way.  Several years, after  'Three's Company'  became a hit, she insisted she get paid the same amount as John Ritter.  The difference was significant. Producers refused.  She called in sick for a few episodes.  Got fired next season, series died.  So - she raised awareness tenfold of the unfairness in pay practices for people doing the same job. Which, in the late 70s and early 80s was  usually women.   In my 'field'  in the early 70s, women represented maybe 10% of the total - 20 years later, it was at least 50%.   Fair pay, I'm sure, followed fair hiring.    Ironically - Sommers was basically 'boycotted' by Hollywood for being a real live example of activism, and not just an airhead talking the talk.   

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think that was the point. She played the dumb blonde to a T.

and she did it well. not knocking her. the overall show was stupid. banal writing ... didn't say her character was stupid, yea, that was her character. it was the show itself that was stupid.  

either way, it's a shame she has passed. RIP ...

Edited by Karloff