Gibson Brands Forums

Hardshell case with no neck rest

slash7

Probably not the best choice of case. There are many cases made by a number of companies that would have been a better choice. 
With the body not moving there could be neck movement if the case falls flat which could cause a broken headstock 

I would suspect you’ll be fine in most of the time as even Gibson neck supported case breaks head stocks with “right” circumstances 

put a foam block under the neck 

as with any travel including baggage handlers; slack the strings half a step 

• Like 2

I’ve bought this 69’ Les Paul used 50 years ago & have always been concerned about the OHSC. The tuners would hit the bottom of the case. I was able to lift the neck with a thick piece of felt & that seemed to solve the issue & doesn’t react with the finish. Gibson cases have come a long way from cases like this & the old Archcraft cardboard cases.

iyRXWEx.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The cheapest and easiest way to solve it with no money spent it support it with a hand towel. Everyone has a ton of towels.

Steve Ford suggest surgery. I don't know how that case will do under anesthesia. 

See, you can be useful!  Towel is a good idea...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

Probably not the best choice of case. There are many cases made by a number of companies that would have been a better choice. 
With the body not moving there could be neck movement if the case falls flat which could cause a broken headstock 

I would suspect you’ll be fine in most of the time as even Gibson neck supported case breaks head stocks with “right” circumstances 

put a foam block under the neck 

as with any travel including baggage handlers; slack the strings half a step 

Thanks for the down tune suggestion 👌

1 hour ago, Grog said:

I’ve bought this 69’ Les Paul used 50 years ago & have always been concerned about the OHSC. The tuners would hit the bottom of the case. I was able to lift the neck with a thick piece of felt & that seemed to solve the issue & doesn’t react with the finish. Gibson cases have come a long way from cases like this & the old Archcraft cardboard cases.

iyRXWEx.jpg

That's a pretty good idea! and your case is so beautiful! Perfectly vintage

I concur with suggestions to use foam inserts (yes cover it in something - I use a microfibre cloth).

Most foam can be cut with a serrated knife. A breadknife is fine. Measure and mark the foam and cut to fit.

Also, if you have a neck support that isn't high enough to do the job. Cut a small section of pipe lagging and slot in on. Again, if its a nitro finished guitar, wrap it.

• Like 1

cheeesus yous guys

back to the CASE of the case.

Maybe your best shot is to get a towel or something to put under the neck to take place of the missing rest?  

I'd not like it either,  not for a LP or SG style with the always a bit more vulnerable than we like,  neck design.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

cheeesus yous guys

back to the CASE of the case.

Maybe your best shot is to get a towel or something to put under the neck to take place of the missing rest?  

I'd not like it either,  not for a LP or SG style with the always a bit more vulnerable than we like,  neck design.

I thought I solved it. Now we’re just showing off. 

On 10/25/2023 at 8:12 PM, Grog said:

Another example of a lousy rectangular Gibson HSC from the early seventies. The neck rest is literally a solid block of foam……

EIZxwTD.jpg

I like that you are showing us the case and the guts of a LP Recording. That's a lot of soldering.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper