Gibson Brands Forums

Hardshell case with no neck rest

slash7

Hello everyone,
I recently ordered a custom guitar case for my Les Paul, as I couldn't find an original Les Paul case in my region. I received the case today, and I'm overall happy with it, but there is one problem: the neck of the guitar is completely free. It doesn't touch the neck rest or anything in the case, so the entire weight of the guitar is on the body (the body is fully supported). I have to mention that my guitar doesn't move at all in the case. Even when I shook the case real hard, my guitar didn't move.
Is this OK? Do you think my guitar is safe in this case?

IMG_821s3_jpg.jpg

31 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

If that headstock is touching the floor, its trouble waiting to happen. 

Its not safe. I would not use that case. 

The headstock doesn't touch the floor, it's inches away from it. And the guitar doesn't move even a millimeter... 

1 minute ago, Ceptorman said:

So the body is so snug that it does't let the neck move? I guess it's ok to use as a storage case, but I'm not so sure I would take it anywhere, I would worry, especially with a high dollar guitar like a Gibson. Can you return it?

Unfortunately I can't return it. The neck doesn't move at all, and the headstock doesn't touch the floor.

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

You need to release the pressure from that vice that you put your b*lls in!

Thanks I feel better now. I’m gonna start asking questions to things that can’t be solved here. 

Everyone that responded told him that they don’t like the fact that the neck is not supported in that case. Well, he can’t return it, so what does it matter if we like it, don’t like it, or think it’s the best thing since sliced bread? He can’t return, and he’s stuck with it. I think he wanted a few people to tell him that it was a great case. And wow, you got a bargain, but it doesn’t seem to be that way.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 hours ago, slash7 said:

Is this OK? Do you think my guitar is safe in this case?

No and no. If I couldn't return it, I would make a support for the neck and attach it to the case.

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Who makes the case and no sir I don't like it.

I agree.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slash7 said:

The headstock doesn't touch the floor, it's inches away from it. And the guitar doesn't move even a millimeter... 

Even if it doesn't touch the floor, it can still be trouble.  It should have neck support 2 places with good neck contact to both.  And not be able to move in the case at all.  I've seen far too many "correct original" cases with bad fits.  Even Fenders and Gibsons.  Fine for home store, but heaven help you if it ever takes a big hit in just the right place.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Don't worry Slash, he turns on all the new guys. Probably why there aren't any.

It's also the reason 10 or 15 well respected and valued old timers left, since we're dropping "truth bombs" and all.  

I'm not sure whether this case will make a Les Paul neck less likely or more likely to break in a drop. I certainly won't be offering up my Lester to experiment. 

Edited by Farnsbarns

40 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I do miss Charlie Brown, Big Bill and Uncle Fester.

Pip, flight, Tman, Roger, the list goes on. I'm thankful to still be in touch with those guys.

So in another thread I said we solve nothing here, and here is the proof. Guy buys a case, makes a post and asks, and these are his words "Is this OK? Do you think my guitar is safe in this case?". Everyone that chimes in says that they don't think its safe. It doesn't touch the floor (never heard that before). Its not returnable, so now he can do what ever he wants with it. So what did we solve here. Nothing. All we gave was an answer to his question which wasn't how to fix anything, just is it safe.