Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Want Zappa's Studio Gear And Other Useless Stuff?

Sgt. Pepper

Looks like the Zappa Family Trust is in need of money again. First they sell Franks catalog to Ume, and now hocking his old studio equipment.

https://www.mixonline.com/business/frank-zappas-studio-gear-heads-to-auction

I'm gonna put a bid in on the wooden head.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

Sincerely, thanks for the heads-up, but I must pass. 

I've just saved enough money to buy a new toilet brush, and just cannot switch my priorities.

RBSinTo

With the USD to CAD exchange rate, that must have cost a fortune.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

With the USD to CAD exchange rate, that must have cost a fortune.

Chief,

Nope. 

Unbeknownst to many, one of the central pillars of the Canadian economy is the Toilet Brush manufacturing industry. 

And along with generous government rebates to the citizens when we purchase them, we pay for the brushes in Canadian dollars.

Just another reason I love being a Canadian.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

His kids are selling everything.

I remember when the mayor of Baltimore presented Gail and the kids with that Frank Zappa Day Proclomation and up for auction it goes.

https://www.julienslive.com/search?page=1&key=frank+zappa&xclosed=0

They sold the house to in Laurel Canyon too. I think Lady Gaga had it for a year or so.

I wanted to get that copy of Willian S. Burroughs novel Naked Lunch, but I remember I already have one.

The Crotchless panties are an nice item.

The Neumann Telefunken U47 is there. I want that so bad, I hope it comes with some leather.

Who the hell wants pictures of Frank Zappa's parents on their wedding day?

https://www.julienslive.com/lot-details/index/catalog/471/lot/216812/FRANK-ZAPPA-NEUMANN-TELEFUNKEN-U47-MICROPHONE?url=%2Fsearch%3Fpage%3D1%26key%3Dfrank%2Bzappa%26xclosed%3D0%26items%3D100

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

He produced Dweezil and Moon.

I believe a lot of their current problems was because his estate wasn't managed well. He passed a long time ago, and probably thought he had plenty of time.

Aren't the kids fighting among themselves? Two against two?

Edited by Ceptorman

19 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

He produced Dweezil and Moon.

I believe a lot of their current problems was because his estate wasn't managed well. He passed a long time ago, and probably thought he had plenty of time.

Aren't the kids fighting among themselves? Two against two?

No its all the others against Dweezil. It used to be Diva, Moon, Gail (the wife), and Ahmet Vs Dweez. They might have reconciled. Gail has passed away so if they haven't reconciled its 3 Vs 1. And the one that is on his own, is the only other talent in the family. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• Sgt. Pepper changed the title to Anyone Want Zappa's Studio Gear And Other Useless Stuff?

There was a time the ZFT (Zappa Family Trust) would not allow Dweez to use Zappa Plays Zappa as his tour name. So his last tour was called Dweezil Plays Whatever The Hell He Wants. I saw one ZPZ Tour, and the one where he played the entire Hot Rats in order.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

13 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I want that blue wah pedal.

🙂

I looked at the whole list. Who but family members want old photos?

That one mixing desk is probably the one seen on the inside of the gatefold of the Sheik Yerbouti album.

Dude I just scored this rate photo of Frank Zappa's parents on their wedding day. I'm set for life. Gonna sell it on eBay and make a fortune.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The story has a happy ending.

In April 2016, Dweezil Zappa announced that he would be changing the name of the band to Dweezil Zappa Plays Frank Zappa, in response to a cease-and-desist order by the Zappa Family Trust, which represents Zappa's estate. Following the October 2015 death of Gail Zappa, control of the trust was taken over by his siblings Ahmet and Diva Zappa, with Ahmet handling day-to-day operations. The trust holds a trademark on the name "Zappa Plays Zappa", which Dweezil had already licensed from Gail. Despite that, the Trust ordered Dweezil to cease using the trademark. The Trust also argued that his shows were a "dramatic work", thus ineligible for the blanket compulsory license for live performance venues as specified in section 115 of United States copyright law, and requiring Dweezil to negotiate "grand rights" directly from the trust or be liable for copyright infringement. Ahmet argued that he was not trying to inhibit his ability to tour under his father's name, but wanted to ensure that Zappa Plays Zappa would be "in accordance with the family trust". A lawyer interviewed by The New York Times disagreed with that theory, arguing that the concept of grand rights is intended primarily for works such as stage musicals, and that a concert by a cover band was not a "dramatic work".

A lawyer representing the Trust later told Dweezil that "Dweezil Zappa Plays Frank Zappa" infringed on the Trust's trademarks for "Zappa" and "Frank Zappa".[12] In June 2016, Dweezil announced that he would hold a tour to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the release of Zappa's first album, Freak Out!. In reference to the dispute, it was titled 50 Years of Frank: Dweezil Zappa Plays Whatever the F@%k He Wants – The Cease and Desist Tour.

The Zappa siblings reconciled in May 2018.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Frank died in 1993, I thought he was a younger man when he died. Who ended up with all his music gear? His guitars would be worth some good money. I hate hearing these stories about siblings fighting over money their parents estates. It sounds like Gail didn't do the right thing either. 

Frank and Dweezil were close correct?

12 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Frank died in 1993, I thought he was a younger man when he died. Who ended up with all his music gear? His guitars would be worth some good money. I hate hearing these stories about siblings fighting over money their parents estates. It sounds like Gail didn't do the right thing either. 

Frank and Dweezil were close correct?

Frank was a workaholic. I think he liked keeping busy, and being on the road doing bad stuff with groupies.  Watch the doc that just came out about him. It talks about him being on the road having his way with groupies and Gail knew he was doing it. The Family I believe must have inherited all Franks stuff according to the Trust Frank set up. Dweez got a few guitars I believe. I saw a few YT vids of him talking about a few of them. I guess they all together decided to sell what they are selling. 

• Like 1