Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on 1st Gibson Acoustic

GabrielLDN

I've always wanted a Gibson acoustic and finally have the chance to purchase one. A couple of weeks ago a 1937 L-00 Legend came up on Reverb and I hesitated for 30 minutes as I wasn't sure about the V neck. When I decided to purchase it had gone. I'm still upset about that. 

I've recently been offered a 1952 LG-1 in good condition with no repairs. For the same price I can get a new L-00 original vintage sunburst. I'm mostly a fingerstyle blues player. 

Between the two which would be the better option? Thanks for any advice. 

Gibsons are inconsistent and you should play before you buy.

There.  Thought I’d get a jump start on the usual load of …advice.

I’d think you’d want to get a handle on string spacing at the bridge for fingerpicking, both being the same,  I’m personally drawn toward the L-00 sunburst and looks.  ‘52  though, pretty compelling, be great if you could play it and decide.

2 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Why are you considering that particular Guitar? Why aren’t you starting out with a J-45 which is the most recorded Guitar of all time & arguably Gibson’s Flagship Guitar? Just curious..

OP may want something a little brighter and drier than the J45's middy thump, to each their own. 

I dont think i'd pay more than $2k for anything ladder braced, regardless of style. Just seems limiting IMO. If I had cash burning a hole in my pocket and sights set on an L00 i'd get this one. dark burst, 1 3/4 nut, just a little broken in but still clean. more and more the inconsistency of vintage gibsons has me thinking that modern reissues are probably the way to go, especially if you can't get into the higher reaches of budget to find the good sounding vintage years. I'd rather a 2016 siren then a 1952 dog

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

Why are you considering that particular Guitar? Why aren’t you starting out with a J-45 which is the most recorded Guitar of all time & arguably Gibson’s Flagship Guitar? Just curious..

As a one acoustic guitar L00 owner who also plays a lot of blues, I can understand why he's not considering a J45.   I like their tone but it was not at all a guitar I even considered for my first and only Gibson.  I have yet to pick up a guitar in 12 years that I would rather own than my guitar.

I do second the advice of buying something you can look at in person before buying.  For me, the neck is critical.  I'm looking at  Fender telecasters these days to add an electric to the mix.  I thought I wanted something with vintage specs until I held 50's reissue tele and the neck was like a baseball bat and very narrow.  I realized very quickly that I get along much more with Telecasters with modern neck specs in terms of neck shape, nut width, and board radius.  You gotta hold it in your hands.

Edited by northcntryblues

I hadn't considered a J45 as I would prefer a small body being primarily a fingerstyle player. No chance to play the LG1 as it's around a 4 hour drive from me. This is why I'm in two minds. I did play a 1948 LG1 a few months ago which I really liked but there's nothing to say the tone of the 1952 will match .

Having said that, for fingerstyle blues I think the ladder braced sound works well. 

I do prefer 1&3/4 nut width which the modern L-00 reissues all have but they also seem to all have V necks and I prefer a C profile. 

I guess the search for my first Gibson acoustic goes on. 

That's why it's important to play the exact guitar you're going to buy. Even two guitars from the factory built on the same day with sequential serial numbers can sound different.

I would make that 4 hour drive for the right guitar!

Edited by Ceptorman

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I’ve said it before the J-45 is all the acoustic guys want. Here’s proof.

1 hour ago, GabrielLDN said:

I hadn't considered a J45 as I would prefer a small body being primarily a fingerstyle player. No chance to play the LG1 as it's around a 4 hour drive from me. This is why I'm in two minds. I did play a 1948 LG1 a few months ago which I really liked but there's nothing to say the tone of the 1952 will match .

Having said that, for fingerstyle blues I think the ladder braced sound works well. 

I do prefer 1&3/4 nut width which the modern L-00 reissues all have but they also seem to all have V necks and I prefer a C profile. 

There are lots of L00's without V necks.  I have a 2011 Blues King L00.  It doesn't have a V neck.  I would call it a modern C and it's absolutely fantastic.  I don't think L00 Standards of recent years have V necks either.  

Edited by northcntryblues

I don't own a J-45.. I do own a Bozeman Masterbilt J-160E Solid Top which is IMO their best Round Shoulder Jumbo Guitar.. I also own an inexpensve Epi Inspired By Texan which is actually a good Guitar although I don't care for it's Electronics much..

I also have 48 year old Martin D-35 I've owned since new & a 20 year old Martin J12-16GTE 12 String since new which is a great 12 String..

I'm interested in another Acoustic Electric.. I have owned a Martin HD-28E & a Guild D-40E.. Both were great Guitars but too similar in sound to what I already own.. After owning 2 well known Guitars I'm seeking something with a different Sound..

You could go the M2M route and order exactly what you want. It's worked out well for me. I have one of the '32 RI L00. The V-neck is not that extreme although I prefer the C shape or Slim Taper. Here's a Made 2 Measure L00 12 fret slim taper neck aged top I ordered. It came out very nice.

Here's the M2M L00 next to a Nick Lucas.

51899179702_d47885f772_z.jpg

51899179742_41ac2543cf_z.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GabrielLDN said:

I  recently got my 1952 LG1 back from my luthier.......the ladder brace sound is the reason I have it........not many modern guitars have that tone! Get the LG1 to try it - you don’t have to marry it! The nut is 1 11/16” but the neck is fairly chunky 50s Gibson -I often capo up to 3 for more ‘spread’. Slide sounds great!

For more ladder braced real estate, consider the wonderful Waterloo WL-14L (ladder braced, 1 3/4” nut, 2 3/4” bridge spacing, V neck, great build and playability from Collings).

BluesKing777.

14 hours ago, Dave F said:

You could go the M2M route and order exactly what you want. It's worked out well for me. I have one of the '32 RI L00. The V-neck is not that extreme although I prefer the C shape or Slim Taper. Here's a Made 2 Measure L00 12 fret slim taper neck aged top I ordered. It came out very nice.

I like the grain on the top, plain binding, and the p/g on the dot neck, and I like the inlays on the one on the left.

15 hours ago, Dave F said:

The M2M looks great. Love the burst and wood grain. I had considered going that route but very expensive for a guitar I wouldn't have the chance to play beforehand. For the price I could walk into a guitar shop and play several high end guitars in the aim of finding a keeper. 

1 hour ago, BluesKing777 said:

I  recently got my 1952 LG1 back from my luthier.......the ladder brace sound is the reason I have it........not many modern guitars have that tone! Get the LG1 to try it - you don’t have to marry it! The nut is 1 11/16” but the neck is fairly chunky 50s Gibson -I often capo up to 3 for more ‘spread’. Slide sounds great!

For more ladder braced real estate, consider the wonderful Waterloo WL-14L (ladder braced, 1 3/4” nut, 2 3/4” bridge spacing, V neck, great build and playability from Collings).

BluesKing777.

There's actually a used Waterloo WL-14L available for roughly the same price as the LG1. Only the V neck stopped me from purchasing as I've always played C profile. 1&3/4 is my preference though. How big is the V and do you favour the Waterloo over your LG1? 

7 hours ago, GabrielLDN said:

There's actually a used Waterloo WL-14L available for roughly the same price as the LG1. Only the V neck stopped me from purchasing as I've always played C profile. 1&3/4 is my preference though. How big is the V and do you favour the Waterloo over your LG1? 

Waterloo ladder fan number one here, so......

Big chunky V.

I like all the varieties of the small body 00/000/OM/L-00 guitars, including my rather junky old 52 LG1. So, as they say, you need to try them - go for the big long drive and try the Gibson L-00, the LG1s, a Waterloo....etc

Photos:

1952 Gibson LG1 fresh back from repairs a few months back:

jUWRqZr.jpg

Waterloo WL-14X left, Waterloo WL-14L right (back when they were new):

huTrfar.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I checked out their site.  Vermont, a dozen +/- employees. Very Nice.  Lots of options to upgrade, even Brazilian Rosewood!   But technically, not 'pre-war'. Reproductions I guess I'd call them. Company started this century.  Basic  "J-45"  is $2,350.  

prewar as in style of build not in date of build!

8 hours ago, gibsonchiq said:

even more than d28?

So it’s been said… It’s hard for me to believe too…

It all depends on how you want to play & what you want to as to what Guitar you GAS for.. Everyone’s different & that’s what makes it Cool!

I wanted a big Dreadnought so my first good Acoustic Guitar was a Martin D-35.. Rosewood and Spruce.. Later I wanted a Jumbo Gibson.. I got a Gibson J-160E Bozeman Solid Top.. For me they are quintessential Guitars for the Music I play.. Mostly 50’s to 80’s Blues, Rock, Country, Folk Rock & Country Rock.. Then I started expanding to 12 String Martin, Alvarez Classical, Epi Texan & now I’m looking for something different.. Maybe an Archtop Jazz Acoustic Electric?

It’s really great there are so many choices!

Edited by Larsongs

On 11/8/2023 at 10:27 PM, Larsongs said:

Gabriel, What did you end up doing? If you bought.. We'd like to see some Pics if possible.. 

My wait for my first Gibson goes on. I actually went a completely different direction and ended up buying a 2006 Martin OM-21 Special in great condition. They don't come up for sale very often.

I couldn't travel to try the LG1 and whilst I was contemplating somebody else bought it. 

I really like the Martin though. I thought I'd found the perfect OM in the Larrivee OM-05 but will probably now sell and buy an L-00 style with 1 & 3/4 nut. Maybe a Keb Mo Bluesmaster. From different brands there's also the Atkin L36, Martin CEO7 and Huss & Dalton Crossroads. I'm in the UK and, I enquired but,  Gibson don't do M2M on the L-00 here so can't custom build