Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson Amps Coming

Rabs

The prices can be found via the link I posted earlier today.  As I mentioned earlier in the thread, they won't be inexpensive, and they won't be cheap... but in my (obviously biased) opinion, they are very cool little amps. 

this is from Peppers linke.

Of course, a hand-built US tube amp is never going to be a budget buy in 2024, but the prices are well-pitched, coming in at $1,499 for the Falcon 5 and $1,799 for the Falcon 20. 

1 minute ago, Rabs said:

They are cool little amps, but a bit over priced for me especially the smaller one.. But then so is everything at Gibson.. So, what you gonna do?   🙄

you know that saying   about fools and their money?? 

maybe?

thank fully I'm a marshall guy and the amps I go for, well they aint cheap either. so..

You could still score the real thing for about the same or less than these reissues.  I'd say they're priced about right. 

In fact, there's a 64 Skylark for 500 clams around here somewhere I need to grab...  😏

Edited by badbluesplayer

They look good & they sound good in the Video Studio.. They’re a couple hundred bucks higher than a 65 PRRI & a 65 DRRI… I thought the Falcon 5 should be 12 Watts & have Tremolo for that price..

I thought they’d be a couple hundred less to get those Amps out there on Bands back lines! 

Edited by Larsongs

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

They look good & they sound good in the Video Studio.. They’re a couple hundred bucks higher than a 65 PRRI & a 65 DRRI… I thought the Falcon 5 should be 12 Watts & have Tremolo for that price..

I thought they’d be a couple hundred less to get those Amps out there on Bands back lines! 

The handwired Princeton and Deluxe are double the mexican-made price, so like $2400 and $2700.
In Europe, the USA handwired Deluxe is like €2900 at Thomann.

11 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

I'd say they're priced about right. 

I agree.

These aren't kid's amps, or bedroom/warmup amps. These are built for recording and even light gigging (the 20).

Everything else has doubled in price, hell I almost bought a Mike Holland amp in 1998. The price was 1400 and he offered it to me for 1100.

Now I wish I'd done it, but I was in the studio at the time and money was evaporating.

9 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I feel stupid now.  My amp didn't come with any "hypnotic throb".  Now I want some throb. Is there a pedal for that?  

I'd have to go count, but I probably have at least a half-dozen different tremolo pedals in my ~200 pedal collection. My favorite is probably my Lovetone Wobulator.  It definitely has that "hypnotic throb." If you go looking for one, be advised the price for one is nearly as much as a Falcon 5. Of course, there are plenty of less expensive tremolo pedals out there to pick from, including the Maestro Mariner Tremolo. 

https://www.maestroelectronics.com/en-US/Pedal/Mariner-Tremolo/MOCMTP

6 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

The handwired Princeton and Deluxe are double the mexican-made price, so like $2400 and $2700.
In Europe, the USA handwired Deluxe is like €2900 at Thomann.

I'm old school but I think the hand-wired Princeton "64" Reverb especially is a ridiculous price in the UK.

Old Fender Twins go for far less than that - nobody wants big amps now.  But they have much more clean headroom.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I was just goofing on the marketing department and their descriptive phrases.   My amp has "shimmer".  No wait, it's "sparkle".   These words are brand-specific.  

Confession time - as the Senior Editor for Gibson Brands, I write a good bit of the copy you see on the various websites. I'm usually the editor for anything I don't write, so pretty much all of the copy goes through me at some point. That particular bullet point was, if I recall correctly, written by Doug West at M/B, who is one of the nicest people I've ever worked with. He is also exceptionally knowledgeable about amps and is a solid guitarist, too. 

I understand how people feel about marketing, but most of the people who work on this stuff are guitarists/musicians, too. We're just as passionate about gear as anyone. As someone once said, writing about music - or music gear - is like dancing about architecture. Describing sounds with words can be challenging. Flowery language aside, I personally make it a point to make sure what we say is as BS-free and as accurate as I can make it. I want people to get the products that work for them and that they'll be happy with, so accuracy and honesty are something that I take very seriously. 

The press and customer response to the new Gibson amplifiers has been very positive overall. I'm very proud to have been involved in this project. 

My favorite amp is a 1973 Ampeg GT-10. Solid state, 10 watt, 8” Jensen. I set all the knobs at halfway and manipulate the volume and tone on the Tele. Every tone is there. Except maybe surf. The reverb isn’t great. On occasion I have plugged a Les Paul into it, turned the volume, bass and treble all the way up and let it scream. I remember doing that 20 years ago and thinking, this is the tone people have paid thousands of dollars to get, and this is a $100 crap amp. 

Not saying I wouldn’t appreciate and enjoy a Cadillac amp, but when an ugly girlfriend is keeping me happy and sleepy, why jump the fence?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

What tubes are Gibson using, JJ Tesla?

Remember back when Mesa used to bonk their tubes with a hammer?

I gotta look and see if I still have any of that literature.

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Remember back when Mesa used to bonk their tubes with a hammer?

I gotta look and see if I still have any of that literature.

I used to be stationed in Petaluma when in the USCG. If only I knew there was a position available at Mesa to bonk tubes with a hammer, I certainly would have applied. When I had to change tubes in a gyro cabinet I used a tube checking station to see if they were good. Why did I not think of using a hammer? Stupid me.