Gibson Brands Forums

Granddaddy's Pocket Knife...

Murph

Brother Ben. Quite a bit to take in here!

1) the song is excellent: original, real, raw. Great voice. A fast ball down the middle. Bravo. I wish I could write slice of life as effortlessly as you guys seem to. They say you should draw on your own experiences. I just can’t seem to do them with mine. A tale for the shrink I guess.

2) love the J15. Man what a bargain that guitar was when it came out.

3) that Wall of Sound behind you. Christ! The neighbors must dig you…

once more time for emphasis. Thanks for the tune. It was a treat.

My Zaidy (the Jewish version of a Granddaddy) didn't carry a pocket-knife.

Instead, he had pockets full of candies and  small change that he gave to us, his grandchildren, always warning us not to tell "the Bubba" (the Jewish version of Grandma).

Worth a song? Maybe so.

RBSinTo

Man, that ROCKS! Sums up some great memories and I love that chorus. (That said, I hope that after operating on the dog, he cleaned the knife before cutting a slice of pie or your apple. Then again, I know guys like him knew how to take care of a good pocket knife.)

That’s a song where all the parts work great together — lyrics, melody, your voice, the instrumental, the sound of the guitar.

Well done!

You beat me to it. My dad was a farmer/cattleman. I have a song idea I started long ago in my idea book (hundreds/thousands of ideas) to write "Daddy's Knife." I must say you did a great job. If I ever write my song, I will have to mention cutting his fingernails. I was always fascinated to watch him do that. His fingernails were like ironwood compared to my kid fingernails.

All the way around, great job. Guitar sounds very gibsony! I enjoyed the song, you're good, Ben!

13 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

My Zaidy (the Jewish version of a Granddaddy) didn't carry a pocket-knife.

Instead, he had pockets full of candies and  small change that he gave to us, his grandchildren, always warning us not to tell "the Bubba" (the Jewish version of Grandma).

Worth a song? Maybe so.

RBSinTo

Love it!

12 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

(That said, I hope that after operating on the dog, he cleaned the knife before cutting a slice of pie or your apple.)

The things you never think about, until later...

Thanks, David. Your opinions, as a fine writer, mean a lot to me.

11 hours ago, livemusic said:

You beat me to it. My dad was a farmer/cattleman. 

There are several songs with that idea. I tossed it around for years myself and finally said the hell with it.

There are millions of songs about love, a dozen or so about your grandpa's pocket knife isn't too many.

Thank you.

10 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

Yes sir!  Well written, well played and sublimely delivered! Great dynamics, pauses and hesitations, slurs.......masterful, sir.  Nothing that can't be handled by grandson's guitar.

Thanks for noticing, Buc. That beat is funky enough without trying to pull off those off-timing phrases. 

And it's a lot of words, too, for an old timer like myself.

I deeply appreciate the kind words.

I commented over on the UMGF, but wanted to also tell you here that this song brings back memories of my grandpa.  He always had his knife with him.  I think most men carried a knife back then, and I do to this day…always handy.

i like your song very much and that J15 is magic coupled with your voice.   Thanks for the share.

Roger

6 minutes ago, rbpicker said:

I commented over on the UMGF, but wanted to also tell you here that this song brings back memories of my grandpa.  He always had his knife with him.  I think most men carried a knife back then, and I do to this day…always handy.

i like your song very much and that J15 is magic coupled with your voice.   Thanks for the share.

Roger

Thanks, Roger. Yea, it was unheard of for a man to NOT have a pocket knife, not so very long ago.

This one certainly did jog some memories.  While my grandaddy's shotgun sits near the fireplace, the song did make me open the desk drawer in my Dad's old desk where I keep his three pocket knives, Browning folder, and sheaf knife.  Now I feel guilty as the last time I used any of them was in the early-1970s when I worked on a boat conducting an environmental impact study on the Hudson River but have not been taking as good a care of them since then as I should.

Superb, Ben!  I love this kind of stuff!  Memories of my two grandfathers…..Each carried a pocketknife and could use it for what seemed countless of reasons….and as you say, it was magical.  Thanks for the memories…..and I envy your playing abilities.

On 1/15/2024 at 9:39 AM, zombywoof said:

This one certainly did jog some memories.  While my grandaddy's shotgun sits near the fireplace, the song did make me open the desk drawer in my Dad's old desk where I keep his three pocket knives, Browning folder, and sheaf knife.  Now I feel guilty as the last time I used any of them was in the early-1970s when I worked on a boat conducting an environmental impact study on the Hudson River but have not been taking as good a care of them since then as I should.

Very cool. Just a few drops of oil and you're golden.

On 1/15/2024 at 12:45 PM, MissouriPicker said:

Superb, Ben!  I love this kind of stuff!  Memories of my two grandfathers…..Each carried a pocketknife and could use it for what seemed countless of reasons….and as you say, it was magical.  Thanks for the memories…..and I envy your playing abilities.

Thanks, Larry.

I've been tinkering with this idea in my head for quite a while. I researched and a few others have touched on it, but never really took my approach. So I finally sat down and wrote it.

Starting in the dominant chord for the verses was a new attack for me, then I funked it up a bit. I'm real happy with the song, if not the recording.

Your words are very kind.