Gibson Brands Forums

Guess What I Did?

No, I did not buy a new or used Martin. No Zappa or Beatles, either.

I was in GC in North Myrtle Beach, and I saw hanging on the wall and UNLOCKED was a $7499 Tom Murphy light aged '59 (but let's be real, it was a 2023) LP. Well hell yeah I'm gonna be a 16 year old, and play the most expensive guitar in the joint. At first glance, it actually looked okay. It had a few chips of paint off of it, and the entire guitar had lacquer checking.  Still seeing one up close I am still not a fan of fake aging. Now to the nuts and bolts. The guitar sounded really killer. It was set up really nice. This was a new one and not a used one. The worst thing about the guitar was the neck was really sticky. The salesman even stopped and talked to me for a few mins, and he said that it was the only thing he didn't like other than the price. After that I played a 2k LP. It was a great guitar, but the other did feel and sound better except for the sticky neck. Then I played a ES-335. Killer guitar. Was not a fan of how skinny it was up at the nut. My BB King was not like that. 

So they are nice, but even if I loved it, I could not justify a guitar that costs about 6 of my house payments. 2 house payments if you live in California. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

I guess the good thing is that customers can scratch that $7500 guitar and no one would know.

The sticky neck must me the nitro. I remember my LP Studio took almost a year for that to totally go away.  

So they actually sound better than a typical LP?

I always thought people that said that were trying to justify dropping basically cash enough to buy a decent used car by gulping down the Gibson Kool aid.

That guitar would actually be about a year's worth of mortgage payments for me 😂

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

No, I did not buy a new or used Martin. No Zappa or Beatles, either.

I was in GC in North Myrtle Beach, and I saw hanging on the wall and UNLOCKED was a $7499 Tom Murphy light aged '59 (but let's be real, it was a 2023) LP. Well hell yeah I'm gonna be a 16 year old, and play the most expensive guitar in the joint. At first glance, it actually looked okay. It had a few chips of paint off of it, and the entire guitar had lacquer checking.  Still seeing one up close I am still not a fan of fake aging. Now to the nuts and bolts. The guitar sounded really killer. It was set up really nice. This was a new one and not a used one. The worst thing about the guitar was the neck was really sticky. The salesman even stopped and talked to me for a few mins, and he said that it was the only thing he didn't like other than the price. After that I played a 2k LP. It was a great guitar, but the other did feel and sound better except for the sticky neck. Then I played a ES-335. Killer guitar. Was not a fan of how skinny it was up at the nut. My BB King was not like that. 

So they are nice, but even if I loved it, I could not justify a guitar that costs about 6 of my house payments. 2 house payments if you live in California. 

I wouldn't have guessed in a million years. But, yeah, good move! 

13 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

After that I played a 2k LP. It was a great guitar, but the other did feel and sound better except for the sticky neck.

Feel: Good to know. 

Sound: I'm wondering if the PUs were different...

I wish I'd have been there. I've still never played a 335.

9 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Feel: Good to know. 

Sound: I'm wondering if the PUs were different...

I wish I'd have been there. I've still never played a 335.

The pups sounded totally different. I played both guitars through the same Vox amp at the same setting. The only thing I did was turn the volume on the amp down when I unplugged the guitar to plug the next one in. Both guitars all 4  knobs were at 8, and I was mostly on both pickups. 

It was less beat up looking and had more checking than I thought it would. Naphtha may take the stickiness away? I think for 7+K guitar, the neck should look reliced, but to be that sticky is unacceptable and it should not to be as Saturn said  "The sticky neck must me the nitro. I remember my LP Studio took almost a year for that to totally go away. "

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

The secret of the neck is to  pour 2 ounces of Diet Coke on it and then give it 3 minutes in the oven at 150 degrees to get it to set.

That give it that "on tour" feel.

I think they spilled a 24 ounce Mountain Dew on the neck. Diet Coke has no sugar in it. It was really sticky. My HD-28V had a sticky neck when I got it used, but it was nothing like the LP.

And its cracked everywhere, top. back, sides, and the head. 

This is the one I played - a Southern Fade. Its cheaper on Gibson's site by $300.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/CUSSMN319/Southern-Fade-Burst

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

The secret of the neck is to  pour 2 ounces of Diet Coke on it and then give it 3 minutes in the oven at 150 degrees to get it to set.

That give it that "on tour" feel.

That's what I always do...

There were no Gibson acoustics in  A R. There were only two USA made 15 Series Martins, a D and a 000. My best friend has a 000-15 and I have had 3 D-15's, so there was no reason to play them. There were about 10 to 15 Taylors and then the sub $500 stuff. 

I went back to GC the other day due to needing strings and it was still there.  So come these are the ones you guys rave about. Don't let Tom and Cesar down and go get it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Man, seventy five hundred bones.

That is so far outside my reasonable price range, we may as well be talking about diamond tiaras or gold-plated Harley Davidson soft-tails.

😒

Nope some wood with stings on it.

• Like 1

I kinda get the impression that most of the people that buy those do it online and then complain about the finish or setup.

Or it's a slightly used one and they immediately come here and post the serial number and ask for info on it, and if it's legit.

Because God forbid they go to an actual store and try several and buy the one that they bonded with the most.

Edited by Narwhal6

3 hours ago, Narwhal6 said:

I kinda get the impression that most of the people that buy those do it online and then complain about the finish or setup.

Or it's a slightly used one and they immediately come here and post the serial number and ask for info on it, and if it's legit.

Because God forbid they go to an actual store and try several and buy the one that they bonded with the most.

I tried one, but I gave up electrics in 2017 or so. I wouldn’t spend that much on one guitar in the first place. For that kind of money if you do it wisely, you can outfit a four piece band.

• Upvote 2

There were a few Murphy guitars at the Gibson Garage when I was there in October. I’m not a relic fan so I didn’t pay much attention. At Gruhn’s there was a relic’d ‘57 Strat ( reissue of some sort), that was only lightly relic’d, not all beat to dog crap. It was…. “believable”. It looked like a ‘57 that had been taken very good care of over the years but had light honest wear, mostly a little fretboard wear and a small area of forearm rub. A few minutes later I was hovering over an original ‘59 Strat ($40,000) that looked almost identical. Some of these guitars look like they managed to jump out of the wood chipper in the nick of time, and that’s just not realistic at all. If they want a true representation, ram a set of Grovers into an old Strat where the Klusons gave out in the 70s. And strip the finish and stain-varnish it in Hippie Sh__ Brown. Maybe rout it for a Gibson humbucker in the neck position like a lot of people did in ‘72. Put a Mighty Mite brass pickguard from 1980 on it to replace the cracked one, and while you’re at it, put some brass saddles and nut on it, or better yet, a Kahler vibrato and locking nut from ‘87. THAT would be a lot more historically accurate than what they’re peddling. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John P said:

I just don't get the point of paying a fortune for a new guitar that looks old.

When I lay out the cash for a new guitar, I want it to look pristine!

You’re right but there are Richie’s out there who can pony up for one, and they will tell you these are the S-hit. They play and feel nice. I know I played one. But just stop with 10k guitars Gibson it’s an insult to people who want to like your brand. Your making guitars that basically only Jim Irsay can afford.

Oh you know I’m a Martin guy, and fuk them for 10K D-45’s.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, John P said:

I just don't get the point of paying a fortune for a new guitar that looks old.

When I lay out the cash for a new guitar, I want it to look pristine!

Can you imagine paying a premium for a brand new Porsche with intentionally manufactured dents, scratches, chips, rust, and faded/worn upholstery, instead of paying less for the exact same car in pristine condition?  (And why would it be extra cool if that purposeful damage was inflicted by someone with name recognition in the industry?)

My ball gloves, (baseball mitts), my guitars, my recliners, and my women:  Things I like to acquire first hand when they are pristine, pretty, and capable of fulfilling my needs, (and I'm happy to invest a lot to get the best).

Sure, there will be a break-in period when I will need to provide them with extra attention, lots of doting, elbow grease, and TLC, but that's how you start a relationship and get a custom fit. I never intentionally inflict damage upon things I care about, but no matter how hard I try to protect them, life happens. With each blemish, scar, or age related malady, a memory is created, imbuing the things I cherish with my history. Of coarse I still cringe every time I see the half dollar sized down to the Korina "chip" on the upper pointy a$$-end section of my quite valuable Explorer. But the memories of every impact that created it, the where's, the why's, the who's, the how's, always turn that cringe into smiles and laughter, ALWAYS.

Intentionally "relic'd" new guitars tell no stories, detail no history, and cannot possibly represent anything about the person who buys them other than exposing the buyers sad lack of life experience. But, that's just my opinion, and nobody really asked me for it, so...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You’re right but there are Richie’s out there who can pony up for one, and they will tell you these are the S-hit. They play and feel nice. I know I played one. But just stop with 10k guitars Gibson it’s insult to people who want to like your brand. Your making guitars that basically only Jim Irsay can afford.

Oh you know I’m a Martin guy, and fuk them for 10K D-45’s.

I've got a Martin I picked up used a few years back, and I don't even know what model it is.

Edited by John P
Grammar

1 minute ago, John P said:

I've got a Martin I picked up a few years back, and I don't even know what model it is.

If you look where the truss rod adjustment hole is inside the guitar body it should tell you on the wooden block.

If it has a black label in it, chances are its Mexican.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

They got a new one today for $12K+ at WildwoodGuitars. (I will never even think of buying something like this, but the sound must be incredible!)

Custom Shop D-45 | Martin Guitars, New Arrivals | Wildwood Guitars

With title, tax and license out the door probably close to 14k.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1