Gibson Brands Forums

The one change Gibson made that ruined Gibson guitars.

fujifan

It’s really funny - I’ve been much more of a follower than a participant in the forum but I just have to jump in on this!!
Over the years I’ve been following, I’ve read with interest the various comments - pro and con about the eb and flow in Gibson quality and necessity of choosing the perfect guitar and I’m certain there is truth there, but in my experience, I’ve purchased three Gibsons via online sources (no  opportunity to try them in advance) and don’t have a complaint with any of them. In fact I wouldn’t trade any of them. I don’t know how many guitars I’ve bought and sold over the years but with the exception of one Martin, none have come close to the sound and quality of my Gibsons. (Sure - I confess  - I’m over 60 and utterly enamored with the name on the headstock. Took me a d.. long time to be able to afford em and no amount of belittling from a self proclaimed expert can supersede 50 plus years of actual experience.) 
Conversely I could write a book about the issues with my 74 Fender Strat neck. Or some of the import guitars that simply fell apart after a few years of constant use. Even there - in spite of some terrible quality issues, I managed to muddled through countless gigs and worship teams. Somehow I even had a great time!
I enjoyed the music and camaraderie and I learned how to fix or correct the problem. 
What a pleasure it is to finally have quality instruments! 
Knock ‘em all you want but I suspect it’s more out of envy than reality! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

And the troll is now gone.

Thank me or hate me, either is fine.

Ohhh, big thank you…. It was amusing, for a while.  Then it just got tiresome.   Now, let’s get back to our regularly scheduled dust ups on the merits of of relic-ing 😄 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Hey folks, I just realized Pepper never got into the scrum which seems…. unusual.  Curious to see if he was just exercising admirable self-control and avoiding the thread, I checked his profile and saw he hasn’t been on since Friday?  That usual for him? He’s gonna be bummed he missed the party. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Hey folks, I just realized Pepper never got into the scrum which seems…. unusual.  

Just as well. He would have gotten down in the mud with fujifilmguy and I wouldn't have been able to ban one without banning the other..... are you picking up what I'm putting down?

• Like 4

I really was >< close this afternoon to just effing the guy off with censor dodging spelling and the use of really bad words to let the clown know he had been politely handled by the guitar players here.  I was willing to take it for the team and get the whole thread erased.  What a clown.

rct

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I just bought a 60th Anniversary 1960 Les Paul Standard and it didn't have the tone and sustain that I expected. When I sawed it in half, I saw a gap in the neck joint. Gibson told me that they wouldn't honor the warranty. So, I glued it back together, listed it on Ebay as a relic and doubled my money.

Edited by gearbasher
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Where did we land on the tone competition? I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was.

PrairieDog ceremoniously hands the shiny, “BeeGee,” gold-plated, bisected-guitar to Dub-T-123. The crowd roars with approval. A murmur of outraged dissent emanating from the dumpsters in the alley is not heard in the auditorium.  

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 4:14 PM, Rabs said:

Where the f*** is  @Sgt. Pepper  when we need him?

I'm not even sure what this tread is about. I need to go to the beginning.  From quick glace a guy bought a 5k Japanese guitar and wants to put 2k pups in it? And I guess he is praising the guitar he got and bashing the Gibson.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm not even sure what this tread is about. I need to go to the beginning.  From quick glace a guy bought a 5k Japanese guitar and wants to put 2k pups in it? And I guess he is praising the guitar he got and bashing the Gibson.

And that, my friends, is why they call it dope....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, B.T. said:

.....I’ve purchased three Gibsons via online sources (no  opportunity to try them in advance) and don’t have a complaint with any of them. In fact I wouldn’t trade any of them......
Knock ‘em all you want but I suspect it’s more out of envy than reality! 

Me too;  this, exactly.

• Like 1