Gibson Brands Forums

Very RARE! The Gibson ES 357, 1984.

jdgm

Saw this today for sale at Lovie's guitars website; the link is good and 'clean', as it didn't get blocked on my PC.

It is a Gibson ES-357 which has 3 P90s, no F-holes, LP Custom style neck and board, and much more.  The pics and the story are well worth a few minutes of your time!

https://loviesguitars.com/product/minty-rare-1984-gibson-es-357-figured-natural-semi-hollow-w-3-p90s-ohsc/

Very desirable indeed IMO!

🎸[love]

Edited by jdgm

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

15k and it’s not Tom Murphy-ed. No thanks. I like my guitar hit with a rail road spike till it obeys it's master.

Well this is going on 40 years old so proper vintage and in superb condition by the pics.

That stunning red Lucille you sold is appreciating nicely somewhere too......🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Well this is going on 40 years old so proper vintage and in superb condition by the pics.

That stunning red Lucille you sold is appreciating nicely somewhere too......🤦‍♂️

Killer guitar, but I traded it for a Martin 000-28. Absolutely no regrets. That Martin is my #1. Like I’m Jimmy Page or something.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I was expecting a volute given the time period.

How come Cesar is not bringing the volute back, such a snazzy accoutrement. Did it ever really do its job and prevent headstock breaks? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jdgm said:

The pics and the story are well worth a few minutes of your time!

Indeed.

Perhaps the coolest Norlin ever built. Certainly one of them.

I imagine those were damned tough times for the employees.

Thanks for the link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

They could do it with the F-holes and then have a snap in wood section to blank them off if feedback presented a problem.

I always thought they could use a black rubber type material that would seal, be silent, and still "look" like a dark hole.

You're welcome, Gibson.

Send the check....

• Like 2

It is a pretty Guitar. It may be rare but what is the significance of this Guitar? I’ve never heard of these. And I’m pretty well informed having worked for Giant Music Stores for several years. There was nothing stellar about Gibson Guitars in the 80’s. It’s hard to think of 80’s Guitars as being Vintage but I technically I guess they are.. Was this model used on any Hit Records by a great Session guy or famous Artists?

It’s a great looking Guitar & probably sounds great being Kalamazoo built.. Which for me is it’s main provenance.. But, it’s not a Guitar I’d speculate on..

Best of 

unknown on the Sale.

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

What the hell does a hit record have to do with a rare and vintage, and beautiful I might add, guitar?

The Bee Gees were a pop band, but nobody considers them important in the world of rare and vintage guitars.

Did Clarence White ever have a hit record? Tony Rice? Doc Watson? Norman Blake?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Murph said:

What the hell does a hit record have to do with a rare and vintage, and beautiful I might add, guitar?

The Bee Gees were a pop band, but nobody considers them important in the world of rare and vintage guitars.

Did Clarence White ever have a hit record? Tony Rice? Doc Watson? Norman Blake?

Tell that to the  Buyers of Mark Knopflers' Guitars that sold for $11 Million Bucks at Auction a week ago or so..  There many others too.. Provenance has a lot to do with the value of a Vintage Instrument.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

Tell that to the  Buyers of Mark Knopflers' Guitars that sold for $11 Million Bucks at Auction a week ago or so..  There many others too.. Provenance has a lot to do with the value of a Vintage Instrument.. 

You're right.

I didn't mean to be so rude.

I paid extra for provenance on my mandolin.

Good point, Lars.

Again, my apologies.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Murph said:

You're right.

Good point, Lars.

Again, my apologies.

No apology necessary here..

Again it’s a pretty Guitar & the last of Kalamazoo. That’s definitely worth something. I was a Carson fan & would probably pay a little extra but I’d have to research values before I’d take plunge.. I would make trip to play it if I were to buy any Guitar in that Price range.. But then, I’m not Musk, Bezos or Zuckerberg either.

Alls good!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SteveFord said:

That's a model I would like to see be put into  production.

They could do it with the F-holes and then have a snap in wood section to blank them off if feedback presented a problem.

Like Gibson's G Series acoustics. Put two holes in it and sell a piece of plastic or rubber to cover one of them. Same with F holes. F holes, my Lucille didn't need no stinking F holes.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

So what if this guitar was played on sessions. Its like buying Mark Knofler's guitar, and thinking your going to get his mojo. If you pay more because he owned it, then you paid more cause he owned it, and that is on you. 

To me a guitar is worth what its worth and not more cause a pro touched it.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 12:44 PM, Murph said:

You're right.

Good point, Lars.

Again, my apologies.

No apology necessary here..

Again it’s a pretty Guitar & the last of Kalamazoo. That’s definitely worth something. I was a Carson fan & would probably pay a little extra but I’d have to research values before I’d take plunge.. I would make trip to play it if I were to buy any Guitar in that Price range.. But then, I’m not Musk, Bezos or Zuckerberg either.

Alls good!

• Like 1

Great photos, great back story.

To pricey and too much bling and gold for my tastes, but a really cool guitar.

I look back to 1984 when that guitar was made, forty years ago, and reflect on where I was at in my life at that point.
Lucky I didn't end up in the brig, quite honestly.

🥲

• Like 1