Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Hummingbird questions

The dman

Hey guys

I bought a 2016 Hummingbird online today (Haven't received it yet) and I have a couple questions

I was told this is a standard and I'm confused as to why this has Kluson tuners and other 2016 Hummingbirds I've seen have Grover tuners? It's advertised and vintage sunburst. Is it the same finish they use on the standards or is this a thinner finish?  Is this just a standard with a sunburst finish?

The specs on the internet vary so it's a little confusing

Here's the link to the guitar https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-hummingbird-vintage-hummingbird-vintage-2016-sunburst-sunburst

Thanks

43 minutes ago, Dave F said:

yours look like the Gotoh ones on this 2016 model.

Thanks for the reply. Now I'm confused even more. The guitar in the link has gold tuners and the one I bought does not and the listing stated spruce and not Adirondack. It says "Style Vintage" on the tag on the guitar but I'm not sure exactly what that means. 

6 hours ago, The dman said:

Hey guys

I bought a 2016 Hummingbird online today (Haven't received it yet) and I have a couple questions

I was told this is a standard and I'm confused as to why this has Kluson tuners and other 2016 Hummingbirds I've seen have Grover tuners? It's advertised and vintage sunburst. Is it the same finish they use on the standards or is this a thinner finish?  Is this just a standard with a sunburst finish?

The specs on the internet vary so it's a little confusing

Here's the link to the guitar https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-hummingbird-vintage-hummingbird-vintage-2016-sunburst-sunburst

Thanks

I own a 2016 standard Hbird and this is not it .

Yours is  obviously the Hummingbird Vintage model . The Vintage model is more a throwback to the 1960’s with the darker cherried mahogany back , the darker sunburst on the front .Tulip Tuners  while the Standard is more for a modern approach with Grover Tuners , Electronics and Heritage Cherry Sunburst 

Congrats !

JC

Edited by JuanCarlosVejar

7 hours ago, The dman said:

. . . The guitar in the link has gold tuners and the one I bought does not and the listing stated spruce and not Adirondack. It says "Style Vintage" on the tag on the guitar but I'm not sure exactly what that means. 

Fairly sure the Vintage series guitars have torrefied tops. I had a 2016 Hummingbird Vintage- Sitka spruce. Beautiful guitar, too nice for the likes of me. 

Congrats on the incoming HB-V . . . nice case, too.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

20 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Fairly sure the Vintage series guitars have torrefied tops. I had a 2016 Hummingbird Vintage- Sitka spruce. Beautiful guitar, too nice for the likes of me. 

Congrats on the incoming HB-V . . . nice case, too.

That makes sense. So I assume the top is torrified. I wasn't sure because it didn't mention that in the listing.

• Upvote 1

Very beautiful guitar - this looks like the Vintage version to me. Perhaps the first year they were introduced taking over from the so called True Vintage.                                                                                                               Meaning torrifried top, that style of tuners, thinner finish.

Lucky to find a lefty - wonder how long you have been searching.  Hope it lives up to the stunning look. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Very beautiful guitar - this looks like the Vintage version to me. Perhaps the first year they were introduced taking over from the so called True Vintage.                                                                                                               Meaning torrifried top, that style of tuners, thinner finish.

Lucky to find a lefty - wonder how long you have been searching.  Hope it lives up to the stunning look. 

Ok. I was confused over Vintage/True Vintage differences. Did Gibson discontinue this Vintage series as well? With all the different versions it gets confusing.

Honestly I really wasn't looking for a Hummingbird. I stumbled across this guitar and took a leap of faith.

I assume the Vintage series cost more than the standard series?

Thanks

Just now, The dman said:

Ok. I was confused over Vintage/True Vintage differences. Did Gibson discontinue this Vintage series as well? With all the different versions it gets confusing.

Honestly I really wasn't looking for a Hummingbird. I stumbled across this guitar and took a leap of faith.

Thanks

Wow, very nice score if you paid a used standard price.  Always great when the shops don’t catch what they have. Have you checked past sales on Reverb?  Don’t just search lefty, but search around 2016.  You should get some hits to compare to.  The other thing is you can call Gibson on this one, new enough they should have a record of it and might be able to tell you more about it.  The orange label is a giveaway it’s a “special” model, as in not the standard run.  I wonder though if leftys come with an orange label standard? Torrified tops can sound mighty nice.  

14 minutes ago, The dman said:

My lefty J-45 has a white label

The one you just bought? In the link you can see an orange label, and I realize now, the link says “Vintage” right in it.  Did you grab the wrong one? 

Edited by PrairieDog

4 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

The one you just bought? In the link you can see an orange label, and I realize now, the link says “Vintage” right in it.  Did you grab the wrong one? 

No I bought the J-45 last year

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, The dman said:

Thanks for the reply. Now I'm confused even more. The guitar in the link has gold tuners and the one I bought does not and the listing stated spruce and not Adirondack. It says "Style Vintage" on the tag on the guitar but I'm not sure exactly what that means. 

Your tuners may be gold, just tarnished a little. Colorwise yours looks more like this 2017 model.

Hummingbird Vintage (gibson.com)

Yep.  Looks like a fine example of the Vintage model Hummingbird.   Had a Standard several years ago........changed the heavy Rotomatics for a set of keystones, which is the proper machine head for all Hummingbirds..............

wpUkvJB.jpg

Edited by Buc McMaster
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

Yep.  Looks like a fine example of the Vintage model Hummingbird.   Had a Standard several years ago........changed the heavy Rotomatics for a set of keystones, which is the proper machine head for all Hummingbirds..............

I agree, the tulip tuners look much better. I also swapped the Grover's on my J45 with white button tuners which look much better to me.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, The dman said:

Thanks

The non-torrefried True Vintage models turned into what you have on the way, , , , and then some 60s with fixed bridge and others occurred. Recommend you dive into that yourself. It's too complicated to write about - compared to how relatively un-complicated it is to do the research. So a couple of groovy hours ahead tomorrow. Ideal Sunday stuff while waiting. . . . 

36 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

The non-torrefried True Vintage models turned into what you have on the way, , , , and then some 60s with fixed bridge and others occurred. Recommend you dive into that yourself. It's too complicated to write about - compared to how relatively un-complicated it is to do the research. So a couple of groovy hours ahead tomorrow. Ideal Sunday stuff while waiting. . . . 

I think I've got a pretty good handle on it now thanks to everyone's help.  I was diagnosed with Covid today so I'll have nothing but time for a few days.

• Upvote 1